Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much do you pay individually for your employer sponsored health plan?
0-$20 4 17.39%
$20-$30 0 0%
$30-$40 0 0%
$40-$50 0 0%
$50-60 0 0%
$60-80 1 4.35%
$80-$100 2 8.70%
$125-$150 4 17.39%
$150-$175 1 4.35%
$175-$200+ 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Just pointing out some facts in some posts thanks!

The part that is missing is that most people don't really know what their plan really costs. $1500 for a family plan is not out of line. Your employer might only pay 50% the employee portion of that cost so your out of pocket on that is higher. Other employers might subsidize the entire family and you pay just a small fraction of that total cost. The instant blame for the premium, however, runs to the insurance company, when the reality is, the owner of the plan has much more control over the amount you pay, aka your employer. So, in the case of a certain Texan, if her "employer" paid 50% of her premium, she would be right in line with just about everyone else here, but fails to realize that. Interesting how her premium last year is now down to $575. .
I've always said that my 2014 premium (that's "last year") was $575 - because it was - and that it basically doubled to $1137 in 2015.

There's nothing inconsistent in my story, because I'm telling the truth.

And to clarify - not for you since it seems to fall on deaf ears, but for anyone else reading this - we don't have any kids. This $1137 a month premium is for two adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
How many people have though about dropping health insurance because they can no longer afford it under the affordable health care act? I have. $1000 month? for a family of four. More than my current mortgage. This is just nuts. We have seen our health insurance premium double in the last 5 years.

I believe you. Ours has also doubled - and our deductible has soared out the roof as well.

Now we don't even have any copays till we reach our increased deductible. So basically, unless one of us has a lot of health problems, we're paying out the wazoo for what is only catastrophic coverage.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:01 PM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I don't pay anything for my health insurance through my employer. The premium is 0 regardless of family size or previous health issues. I pay no deductibles if the provider is in network if outside of network the deductible is $350.00 for family. There is no co-insurance it pays 100%. This also includes vision and dental insurance at no cost to employee. Generic drugs $7.00, name brand $15.00. It covers basically everything, my spouse had a major health issue this year to the tune of $250,000 out of pocket $0. Very blessed to have it.
Exactly how my insurance is and I pay $400 a month.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:04 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've always said that my 2014 premium (that's "last year") was $575 - because it was - and that it basically doubled to $1137 in 2015.

There's nothing inconsistent in my story, because I'm telling the truth.

And to clarify - not for you since it seems to fall on deaf ears, but for anyone else reading this - we don't have any kids. This $1137 a month premium is for two adults.
It's still considered a family plan since there is more than one person on the plan. Doesn't matter if it's 2 or twenty on the plan, it's still family--qualifying for the family HSA contribution if eligible, etc., etc., etc. Your story has been all over the place with "details" and again, your costs are in line with what a family plan costs, especially if your "company" paid half or more of the premium like an employer plan does, which is what this thread is about.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:24 AM

350 posts, read 416,101 times
Quote:
It's still considered a family plan since there is more than one person on the plan. Doesn't matter if it's 2 or twenty on the plan, it's still family--qualifying for the family HSA contribution if eligible, etc., etc., etc. Your story has been all over the place with "details" and again, your costs are in line with what a family plan costs, especially if your "company" paid half or more of the premium like an employer plan does, which is what this thread is about.

Qwerty:

You are flailing your arms about with all of your replies. You must work for an insurance company. Yet you cannot answer a few simple questions directly. What do you think is the maximum a person should pay on a monthly basis for adequate coverage AND what percentage of their net income should be the contributed to health insurance?

Would you think that if a person spent 30% of their NET income on health insurance that would be manageable? How about 50% of their NET income? Is there any limit to what someone should pay for what is becoming catastrophic only coverage?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Your story has been all over the place with "details" and again, your costs are in line with what a family plan costs, especially if your "company" paid half or more of the premium like an employer plan does, which is what this thread is about.
I have been very consistent with my facts and figures. Sorry if you haven't been able to keep them straight in your own head.

Though I realize it's easy to get confused since the industry keeps morphing and moving the goal posts and issuing and then canceling plans, raising deductibles, playing shell games, and changing the rules as new policies and laws kick in each year.

I honestly feel like the big plan all along has been to implement socialized medicine. Right now I feel like we as a nation are being "trained" in a punitive manner, to go to the doctor less often, to accept more restrictions, more expense, more limitations, more government involvement, more "rationed care," etc. and all at a significantly higher cost to those in higher income brackets, regardless of who is actually USING this medical care and actually running up the costs. I feel like the whole debacle has been structured to make us finally scream "UNCLE!!!!!" and accept socialized medicine.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-18-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance