Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

It is costing us TONS of money each year too.

I'm meeting with an insurance broker about this in a few weeks, because we really really need a PPO. My husband works out of state for two weeks out of every month. This could be potentially catastrophic for us because BCBS has also removed the cap on the cost to the INDIVIDUAL for out of network medical care.

Is my husband going to have to just sit tight while he's having chest pains, and try to get back to Texas to go to the doctor? Sheeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 06:19 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
And the deductible/ max out of pocket is going way up too, so our company's plans will be "compliant with the maximum limits of Obamacare".
You can thank the people that voted against the government option because "It was going to hurt insurance companies profits"
Even though all the other developed countries have a government option

Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Personally, if BCBS were to do that in my state, I would not use them...and I would let them know why I am leaving them. If enough people stood up to them and said we want PPO options, they would bring them back...but that would never happen because people would rather complain to their friends (or on the message boards) vs taking to to the place where they could do something about this. Start a email/letter campaign, post on your Facebook, get people to write to BC/BS of Texas expressing their dissatisfaction and encourage them to leave BCBS, etc, etc, etc......or not.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:58 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It is costing us TONS of money each year too.

I'm meeting with an insurance broker about this in a few weeks, because we really really need a PPO. My husband works out of state for two weeks out of every month. This could be potentially catastrophic for us because BCBS has also removed the cap on the cost to the INDIVIDUAL for out of network medical care.

Is my husband going to have to just sit tight while he's having chest pains, and try to get back to Texas to go to the doctor? Sheeze.
Emergency care under an HMO is covered in-network ANYWHERE

Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 AM

805 posts, read 1,871,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
If enough people stood up to them and said we want PPO options, they would bring them back...but that would never happen because people would rather complain to their friends (or on the message boards)
BCBS TX 'claimed' that Healthcare.Gov PPOs cost them over $400 million in a 12 month period. They ain't ever come back.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Urgent care is not. And urgent care is our responsibility - the full amount - till we meet our deductible. Out of network we will be stuck with the full amount of services, not the amount adjusted for insurance coverage, since we basically don't have any insurance coverage for out of network urgent care. And there is no network for BCBS of Texas in the northeast.

Not all immediate, urgent care that requires a trip to the doctor, the hospital or even hospitalization is EMERGENCY care but can often be categorized as URGENT care. And believe me, it WILL be classified as "urgent" rather than "emergency" if it can be. Insurance companies make sure of that.

Have you noticed the proliferation of "urgent care facilities" since the ACA was implemented? That's for a reason, and it's not just for our convenience. Urgent care is not necessariy considered emergency care.

Like I have stated repeatedly, my husband is out of the state for several weeks of every month - but he's not in the same place each time so he can't get a PCP at his various locations, because they change.

Let me give you an example - he could get stung by a wasp and get cellulitis or have an adverse reaction. He would go to urgent care - that is not an emergency but it is urgent. He would be stuck with that entire bill. If it's cellulitis, he may have to be admitted and given antibiotics via IV (an example given to me by our PCP). This would not be an emergency but would be urgent. That is the type of care NOT covered "in network" and subject to absolutely no ceiling for cost on our part.

This while we're paying nearly $1200 a month for health insurance.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Well, I have $1000 bill from an ER doc that Aetna says is NOT in network.

So...yeah...

Old 10-28-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Personally, if BCBS were to do that in my state, I would not use them...and I would let them know why I am leaving them. If enough people stood up to them and said we want PPO options, they would bring them back...but that would never happen because people would rather complain to their friends (or on the message boards) vs taking to to the place where they could do something about this. Start a email/letter campaign, post on your Facebook, get people to write to BC/BS of Texas expressing their dissatisfaction and encourage them to leave BCBS, etc, etc, etc......or not.

Do you understand that WE HAVE NO OTHER INSURANCE OPTION that will work for us? BCBS has a health insurance monopoly in my area. But don't take my word for it - if you are really curious, just go to the ACA website and put in this zipcode: 75758. See what options are available for yourself.

BCBS claims to have lost $400 million dollars due to PPOs - that's why they're discontinuing them. Do you honestly think that they are going to respond to the complaints of consumers when we have no other insurance options in this area?a

By the way, I've already complained directly and loudly to BCBS. I've written our government representatives. I've posted my concerns and complaints on Facebook, on government sites, and to BCBS directly.

It has done absolutely no good whatsoever and I've been actively doing this for the past three years. Along with many, many other people who are in my same situation.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-28-2015 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you understand that WE HAVE NO OTHER OPTION? BCBS has a health insurance monopoly in my area.

They claim to have lost $400 million dollars due to PPOs - that's why they're discontinuing them. Do you honestly think that they are going to respond to the complaints of consumers when we have no other insurance options in this area?a

By the way, I've already complained directly and loudly to BCBS. I've written our government representatives. I've posted my concerns and complaints on Facebook, on government sites, and to BCBS directly.

It has done absolutely no good whatsoever and I've been actively doing this for the past three years. Along with many, many other people who are in my same situation.
Say. What area is this?
I thought we were in the same area.
Most of my friends have Cigna, United (big one), Aetna, or BCBS.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Say. What area is this?
I thought we were in the same area.
Most of my friends have Cigna, United (big one), Aetna, or BCBS.
Zip code 75758. Last year we could have used Humana - at a much higher cost than BCBS. This year even Humana isn't showing up.

The only thing that shows up on the ACA Marketplace is BCBS. But I asked our financial advisor/insurance broker about this and she verified that our only option in this area is BCBS as far as she knows for 2016. She is checking around for us and our appt with her is in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance