Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 04:59 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

The WSJ has an article today discussing the individual health insurance market.

Health Law

It illustrates the premiums required now, e.g. "Peter Wainwright, 63 years old, who retired from a telecommunications job, currently has a plan bought on California’s ACA marketplace. He and his wife don’t get a subsidy and pay about $2,230 a month, and the rate is increasing for 2016. “Everything has gone up,” said Mr. Wainwright, of Half Moon Bay, Calif."

I think this shows why it's so difficult for most people who have employer supplied group health insurance to retire before age 65 when Medicare kicks in.

For those people who want to retire early, this is a major problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 05:24 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,017 times
It's our biggest expense. My husband was laid off in March of 2014. He got Cobra which will end in 6 months, and cost us $650 a month. When he needs ACA in March his will be over $800 a month (it's age priced) I was working and when I left my job I couldn't afford the Cobra at over $1000 a month so went on ACA. Cost for 2016 will be $750 a month. No subsidy for us as my husband does p/t consulting. Between my deductible and OOP it's way more a month. I left my job because we moved to a lower cost of living area and now take care of my mom. I didn't earn much but the health insurance was the only thing keeping me there.

My husband would have DEFINATELY kept working until at least 65 if he could have. It's a burden on us and everyone in our situation.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:39 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i am taking an aca gold plan at 63 . it will run almost 5k a year with a 6k out of pocket . my health insurance , plus my wifes medicare and supplement is about 10k a year , IN AFTER TAX DOLLARS unlike when working .

Old 11-02-2015, 07:04 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
$13,800 annually for the two of us for the cheapest plan. Was $9000 in 2014 for a better plan prior to ACA.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:13 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am taking an aca gold plan at 63 . it will run almost 5k a year with a 6k out of pocket . my health insurance , plus my wifes medicare and supplement is about 10k a year , IN AFTER TAX DOLLARS unlike when working .
Are you doing any consulting work? If so, you can take a personal deduction for both yours and your wife's insurance. (This is NOT the deduction for medical expenses that is available to everyone.)

Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i am on w2 for it

Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
My wife and I, both in our early 60's, pay $1,118 per month for health insurance that's a Health Savings Account (HSA) high-deductible silver policy. We also contribute another $8,600 annually to our HSA accounts. Combined, our outlay is over $20,000 a year.

Yes this is a lot of money and neither of us have ever exceeded our annual deductible. When you have these kind of numbers, you do a much better job of trying to be a medical consumer which is nearly impossible. Recently I tried to pin down the cost of a screening colonoscopy and that task was more difficult than trying to find out the net worth of a stranger.

A couple years ago, we chose to not have health insurance and instead participate in a Christian-based health cost sharing ministry which is one of the exemptions under PPACA. Our participation didn't last long because we had concerns about the pre-existing clauses of that arrangement.

I don't complain about the cost because it's just a line-item cost of "doing business" in the family budget. I realize it's more of a challenge for some people and I have empathy for them.

I've heard of Medicare celebration parties people have when turning age 65. Maybe we'll have a party too if we're blessed to be living then.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
This is why I will work another two years at least to 65, more likely to 67. My employer plan costs them $1,900/month for the two of us, which would be my Cobra amount, but I'm only paying $200 out of my paycheck. I'm also at my peak pay now, and I enjoy my work, so there's no need to rush. Meanwhile, we're maximizing the contributions to the health savings account and 401k to help pay for the supplemental when we do go on medicare.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
This is the one decision that is really hard. I feel like I have my mind made up - I can retire at 63 and afford it but it really bothers me to commit that much money to just the first 2 years. Still 6 years away, so a lot could change.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
My wife and I, both in our early 60's, pay $1,118 per month for health insurance that's a Health Savings Account (HSA) high-deductible silver policy. We also contribute another $8,600 annually to our HSA accounts. Combined, our outlay is over $20,000 a year.

Yes this is a lot of money and neither of us have ever exceeded our annual deductible. When you have these kind of numbers, you do a much better job of trying to be a medical consumer which is nearly impossible. Recently I tried to pin down the cost of a screening colonoscopy and that task was more difficult than trying to find out the net worth of a stranger.

A couple years ago, we chose to not have health insurance and instead participate in a Christian-based health cost sharing ministry which is one of the exemptions under PPACA. Our participation didn't last long because we had concerns about the pre-existing clauses of that arrangement.

I don't complain about the cost because it's just a line-item cost of "doing business" in the family budget. I realize it's more of a challenge for some people and I have empathy for them.

I've heard of Medicare celebration parties people have when turning age 65. Maybe we'll have a party too if we're blessed to be living then.
My wife is very interested in the Christian sharing health plan but I had cancer over 5 years ago. How did they treat pre-existing conditions?

We are still in our 50's and were planning to either access MediShare or keep our taxed income low enough to qualify for subsidized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance