Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 04:41 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea nothing like looking forward to getting older so you don't have to pay these monstrosity health care premiums.
As of right now, our health insurance premiums will increase when we go on Medicare and get a Supplement plan..thankful for our generous employers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 11:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Obamacare is a joke. What is the point of it if doctors don't accept it? Patients have had to come off of those plans because they can't find doctors who accept it. And it's not just doctors but imaging centers (CT, MRI), urgent cares, physical therapy etc. Obamacare made for great press but is useless in terms of practical application. Yeah, it's great to have insurance but what good is it if no one takes it.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:17 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Not sure what the few executives salary does in terms of the overall cost of healthcare in this country. Most likely it is a rounding error at best. ACA, if anything, made insurance companies even MORE profitable as they got direct subsidies from the government AND reinsurance to prevent losses also paid by the govt.

Perhaps you should blame the govt that created ACA and its individual mandate/guaranteed subsidies for not implementing more stringent oversight of the premiums charged by the companies, and blame it for the continued delay of Cadillac tax which was supposed to help reduce costs.
That is exactly what happened. People think Obama won and he didn't. The insurance companies swindled him. Sure, they agreed to cover pre-existing conditions but in exchange they got subsidies And more importantly, they got a good ole boy agreement to look the other way when insurance companies raised premiums. And Obama knew that he had to broker that type of deal otherwise it would have never passed.

Obamacare did nothing to directly regulate insurance companies from raising premiums which was the whole point. But unfortunately, too many Americans drank the Kool Aid and celebrated too early. Now they are coming to the realization that it is a farce especially when no one is taking Obamacare therebye making it essentially useless.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:57 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Obamacare is a joke. What is the point of it if doctors don't accept it? Patients have had to come off of those plans because they can't find doctors who accept it. And it's not just doctors but imaging centers (CT, MRI), urgent cares, physical therapy etc. Obamacare made for great press but is useless in terms of practical application. Yeah, it's great to have insurance but what good is it if no one takes it.
This is very region-specific, and not true in the area I live in at all. You can't generalize about the entire country when it comes to this topic.

The networks on my current plan which I purchased from the exchange are nearly identical to those in the PPO plan I had through my employer for many years. Hospitals, imaging, etc, - same thing- excellent coverage with lots of choices.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,429 times
My husband's ACA plan is being dropped by the Dr's that we use. At least the pharmacy still takes it and that saves enough to pay out of pocket for 3 or 4 Dr. visits a year. I was reading that ACA plans pay Dr's less because the plans cost less and they don't make as much money. This makes no sense to me because the subsidy plus what we pay is almost $600 a month for one person. I don't consider that a low cost plan.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:35 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This is very region-specific, and not true in the area I live in at all. You can't generalize about the entire country when it comes to this topic.

The networks on my current plan which I purchased from the exchange are nearly identical to those in the PPO plan I had through my employer for many years. Hospitals, imaging, etc, - same thing- excellent coverage with lots of choices.
I agree. I had no issues with doctors when under Obamacare - I was able to keep my same doctors that I had on my employer plan. I had hospital coverage with all the major hospitals in the area, as well.

Sometimes plans do change and/or doctors opt out (usually due to slow pay by insurance companies which was an issue particularly with HMO's long before Obama) and people get comfy with a doctor and don't want to switch and then whine about "no doctors taking Obamacare plans".

Old 07-22-2016, 02:10 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Reed, when you do go back to work, if it looks like your annual income will be enough for subsidies, you can enroll at that time. But hopefully one or both of you will get a job with a good family plan. All the more reason to relocate to Greenville.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:04 AM

273 posts, read 209,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That is exactly what happened. People think Obama won and he didn't. The insurance companies swindled him. Sure, they agreed to cover pre-existing conditions but in exchange they got subsidies And more importantly, they got a good ole boy agreement to look the other way when insurance companies raised premiums. And Obama knew that he had to broker that type of deal otherwise it would have never passed.

Obamacare did nothing to directly regulate insurance companies from raising premiums which was the whole point. But unfortunately, too many Americans drank the Kool Aid and celebrated too early. Now they are coming to the realization that it is a farce especially when no one is taking Obamacare therebye making it essentially useless.
Off-topic, but this is why it was a bad idea to elect a young, junior president that knows nothing about health care or about the economy.

Is it really that surprising that the laws he pushed for didn't work out when he knows absolutely nothing about that particular industry?

Old 07-28-2016, 01:55 PM

7,927 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Got my update for 2017 with my current Obamacare individual purchased policy. Not looking too good.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/27/oscar-...iums-networks/

Old 07-28-2016, 02:08 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Anybody, can save money on their current income by not buying insurance.
The question is whether, the Public should support those who could afford insurance but don't buy it and now need medical care. ?? The situation gets more complicated when the children suffers because the parent doesn't think they need the insurance.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance