Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:08 PM

21 posts, read 22,744 times

Advertisements

No idea on the changes to deposit.
Think this is the first year offer in this zip code.
Wonder if there trying to entice you with the higher deposit then suck you subsequent years drop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 03:21 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemsc View Post
No idea on the changes to deposit.
Think this is the first year offer in this zip code.
Wonder if there trying to entice you with the higher deposit then suck you subsequent years drop it.
Oh, I think that's true. Reason I asked is you began this thread two years ago, so I assumed there must have been an MSA offered in your zipcode for 2017???

FYI - re my theory that MSA's may be discontinued, it appears Lasso is EXPANDING into 17 states - which now leads me to rethink that theory.

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...17-States.html

There must be profit in these MSA's. Which also gives me pause on Lasso - as it will be a national for-profit insurer unaffiliated with a medical provider.

Whereas, both Security (Marshfield Clinic) and NetworkHealth (through its parent Froedtert Hospital/Medical College) are medical providers located in WI offering MSAs only in WI.

Today's mail delivered a notice from Security on changes to 2019 plan with very clear instructions to reconsider all options appropriate to my circumstances. Standard language, which I'm taking more seriously this year. Eventually I plan to query Security as to why the huge 33% reduction. They're going to lose the less healthy for sure this year - which may be their intent. They only want really healthy people.

All that said, the older I get (76 y/o now), the more conservative I become on healthcare options. Younger and healthier - you can take more risks with an insurer. Eventually, probably in the next three- five years health permitting, I'll most likely be buying a full Medigap and spending $2k or more a year on premium just for peace of mind. I notice now I don't handle stress nearly as well as I did. 80+ years old, sick and fighting with an insurer? No thanks.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:11 PM

One further thought, if you want to hedge your bets by keeping the Medigap and at the same time help offset the Medigap premium, under Medicare rules it is illegal for an insurer to sell you a Medigap if you are already insured under Advantage - BUT - you are allowed to keep your existing Medigap and still enroll in an Advantage plan.

https://medicare.com/medicare-supple...ent-insurance/

and also on p.72 of my "2019 Medicare and You" booklet.

Only caveat is the Medigap can't be used to pay your Advantage plan copayments, deductibles and premiums - which it wouldn't anyway.

This might be a good way to have your cake and eat it, too. You could try applying to Lasso - which will ask if you plan to drop the Medigap. Say no and see what they say. Best case, you get a $2,520 deposit for your out-of-pockets, worst case they say no. They should allow it, however.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-04-2018 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 06:12 PM

No MSA in zipcode in 2017.
The MSA concept seems to be good but it appears there are many pitfalls like the reduction in deposit amount, increased deductible and its an advantage plan. I just read that Geigeinser sp? discontinued there plan when few years back. This was supposedly decent plan if they didn't make it then .........

You make a good pint on "national insurer" in our zip code only PPO are Aetna Humana UHC nothing else but HMO's.
Wish there were more options like you have in WI.
Froedtert is a great place.

Ive read what the future holds for F and HDF but wonder if you will be able to switch to another plan without underwriting BCBS here. Who knows. IF not then stay with HDF and hope they don't raise rates with closed pool? Uncertainty not good for anyone.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The MSA concept seems to be good but it appears there are many pitfalls like the reduction in deposit amount, increased deductible and its an advantage plan. I just read that Geigeinser sp? discontinued there plan when few years back. This was supposedly decent plan if they didn't make it then .........
Which is why I say - keep the HD-F - and enroll in the MSA for the deposit as long as it lasts. You'll at least feel better about paying the HD-F premium. I am considering doing exactly that....dropping the MSA for 2020, enroll in the hd-F while my health is still good - and then reenrolling in the MSA for 2021 if it's still around.

If MSA isn't discontinued and you find you don't like the plan for one reason or another - like oversight - you've still got the Medigap as a fallback w/o having to reapply and undergo underwriting.

Quote:
Ive read what the future holds for F and HDF but wonder if you will be able to switch to another plan without underwriting BCBS here. Who knows. IF not then stay with HDF and hope they don't raise rates with closed pool? Uncertainty not good for anyone.
HD-F isn't going away, it will be renamed HD-G to avoid confusion.

The deductible is already bullt in to the $2,240 which mitigates to a huge extent sizable increases. You won't experience unreasonable increases on the HD-F. When I had mine through Physician's Mutual, they actually lowered the premium by a few bucks one year.

Further, insurers like cost-sharing. The more the burden falls on you, the less expensive the policy.

BCBS at one time had the most reasonably priced HD-F in WI by far - but then discontinued offering it. I'm told not enough people enrolled so BCBS didn't want to be bothered. I think a lot of people don't even know about that option.

As you've discovered, if you are healthy, the plan pays nothing, because your 20% of the Medicare allowed-charge is so low and the deductible is hard to meet - requiring you incur $11,200 of Medicare-approved charges to satisfy that deductible.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:00 PM

Will premium for HDG be lower than HDF if you stay with that?

I always hate the time of year having to review everything try and figure out what to do.
Most irritating is the fact supplements don't tell you what your premiums will be for the next year and how on earth do you reasonably pick a part d plan when you have no idea what drugs you will be on a year in adavnce.

When you do have medical problems especially chronic its still difficult to stay with the HDF plan when you know it still pays nothing until the deductible is met. However, every year I consider switch to the for profit nationwide PPO plans but go against it because how do they make money by denying claims hassling people especially those in poor health. Too much risk for now.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Will premium for HDG be lower than HDF if you stay with that?
No decrease, as the $183 Part B deductible (not paid by G) is already baked into the current $2,240 deductible of the HD-F/G. Policies will be exactly the same, only the name will be different to avoid confusion.

Quote:
I always hate the time of year having to review everything try and figure out what to do. Most irritating is the fact supplements don't tell you what your premiums will be for the next year and how on earth do you reasonably pick a part d plan when you have no idea what drugs you will be on a year in adavnce.
Just choose the cheapest Part D and go from there. Lot of people don't even have Part D, me among them (take no medication, don't plan to). Walgreens and CVS have drug plans and, from what I read here, are pretty low as it is on the more commonly used medications. As a result, many here on Medicare have reported they find those pharmacies cheaper than running meds through Part D.

Quote:
When you do have medical problems especially chronic its still difficult to stay with the HDF plan when you know it still pays nothing until the deductible is met.
I know the feeling. This is where a cost-benefit analysis comes in handy. How much would you spend on Part B deductible plus premium for a full Medigap v. what you're spending now? Chances are your savings are significant. Meanwhile you know your out-of-pockets won't exceed $2,240 should you run into a health issue. You do need a cap on your exposure. HD-F provides that, although I think generally the premiums could be a lot lower. In some areas of the country (AZ and SE Atlantic area, HD-F costs about $400 a year. However, in our region and the East Coast, generally, it's double that and more.

Quote:
However, every year I consider switch to the for profit nationwide PPO plans but go against it because how do they make money by denying claims hassling people especially those in poor health. Too much risk for now.
Yep. I don't want to get into the hands of a for-profit Advantage insurer. Did that with UHC years ago. Such a hassle to get a simple in-network dr. appt. paid - denied receiving claim, all manner of bs and run-around from customer service. Eventually got it paid but not before I complained to BBB and wrote UHC, provider and BBB a stiff letter. Then it was paid in two days. Who needs this grief? Plus the $5,000 out-of-pocket exposure bothered me a lot. Dropped UHC Advantage as soon as I could. Never again.

One thought on your possibly doing dual coverage with Lasso. On further thought, I'm skeptical of that company. 17 states - and they're just starting out? Should you run into a problem under the MSA, getting through to anyone who knows anything and can REALLY help probably wouldn't be easy. Plus, their deductible of $6,700 is too high. I think I'd stay away from them, for now.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-06-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 06:14 PM

Lasso -- what the saying don't buy the first year of a new car model.

When you have chronic conditions your basically screwed sups $$ and then advanatge plans just try and screw with you.
No easy solution.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
When you have chronic conditions your basically screwed sups $$ and then advanatge plans just try and screw with you.
No easy solution.
Nope - no free lunch. If you have or anticipate health issues as you age, best to stay with some form of a Medigap. Seems expensive now especially when you don't see the benefit - but should health go south, you'll be happy you have it.

Heard about a local businessman a few years ago who didn't think he'd need a Medigap. Developed cancer at age 67, went to Mayo which charges out-of-state patients excess fees. The excess fee adds another 10% to the 20% Medicare gap. Cancer treatment at Mayo can easily be $500K over time. 20% copay + excess would bring his share to $150K, easily. His son told me this story. Person can be pennywise and dollar foolish. I tend to be that way occasionally because I'm what you call "tight" with money - I have it but am loathe to part with it and have from time to time taken the cheapest way which later turned out to be costly. These days I err on the side of caution.

What is your age, Medigap HD-F premium and who is the carrier?

Old 10-28-2018, 05:56 AM

5 posts, read 4,876 times
2018 is my first full year with a Medicare advantage plan ( for 2017, the month of December I was on original Medicare only).

For 2018 I have Security Health MSA plan. I am happy with the plan, but I am not happy with the 2019 change to less money being deposited and having a higher deductible. I too am concerned about the yearly changes in the deposit and the deductible in future years with a MSA plan.

I am considering for 2019 to go with a high deductible plan f supplement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance