Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:51 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
In addition to the old Plan J, I also have a plan D. The Plan J covered something to do with home care , perhaps more days than the plans today do. It's been so long since I took it out, I honestly don't remember what it covers. The only thing I can say is that it has covered very, very expensive MRIs, and other imaging studies without me paying a single cent.
Medgaps F/G will do so, as well - plus other extra benefits. Medicare has added at-home recovery and preventive to its basic plan, so it is no longer necessary for Medigaps to include that coverage.

Quote:
Plan F has the same benefits coverage as Plan J, minus the Preventative Care and At-Home Recovery services.

Now that Medicare covers those two line items, the plans perform equally, in terms of coverage.

Plan J vs Plan F: Should I switch? - GoMedigap
So many complain about the high cost of health insurance in retirement -

$105 - Part B
$x40 - Part D (est)
$270 - Medigap in your case
$415/mo.

that I am always looking for a less expensive way to skin the same cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 05:27 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
Ariadne22,

I have this company bugging me (United Medicare Advisors). They call at least 5 times a day. I screen my calls to keep telemarketers away. My wife answered the phone once and that is how we found out about them. Being I have a hearing issue I stay off the phone as much as possible. Do they charge for their services? The reason I asked is they sent me a monthly quote of $59.31 for American Continental after I told them I wanted HD-F plans below $50/month. The rate on the chart you sent me is $49.30.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have this company bugging me (United Medicare Advisors). They call at least 5 times a day. I screen my calls to keep telemarketers away. My wife answered the phone once and that is how we found out about them. Being I have a hearing issue I stay off the phone as much as possible. Do they charge for their services? The reason I asked is they sent me a monthly quote of $59.31 for American Continental after I told them I wanted HD-F plans below $50/month. The rate on the chart you sent me is $49.30.
Never heard of United Medicare Advisors. If they are quoting you a rate above the rates filed with the AL Insurance Commissioner, you need to ask them why. The rate on the AL Insurance Commissioner chart that Reed posted should be the actual rate of the policy, including any commission to the agent - at least that is way it is in WI. However, there are variables for smoking/nonsmoking, male/female and, for some companies, married/unmarried (live alone).

If you want accurate quotes, call the insurance companies you are considering directly. If they can't sell you a policy over the phone or quote a rate without an agent - some won't - they will refer you to one of their representatives. If the agent quotes you a higher rate - ask them WHY that rate is different than the Alabama Insurance Commissioner filed rate.

Physicians Mutual required I use one of their agents. I think he got a $200 commission for selling me the policy per the WI Insurance website. That said, this guy was very good, took a lot of time (two meetings, several hours) considering he was getting paid so little, provided good advice on how to use the policy, especially the preventive benefit which is first dollar coverage not subject to a deductible, and a good Part D substitute in WI (which wouldn't apply to you).

Another option - if you can find a good Medicare insurance broker, you might be better served to consult with him - but be sure he has familiarity with hd-F.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:33 PM

I went to my doctor today for results from our blood work. Everything was OK. I asked the front desk who they would recommend and they would not recommend any particular company. They did recommend I get with the Council on Aging for more info. I have sent several requests to companies for info.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:44 PM

In addition to a Medicare insurance broker, another source to contact - most states have a SHIP:
Quote:
Alabama SHIP Website:
www.alabamaageline.gov
Phone: 800-243-5463
Program Name: State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
About
: The state of Alabama has SHIP coordinators and a crew of insurance counselors ready to assist you in making informed choices about your insurance. SHIP counselors are committed volunteers many of whom face the same issues you do as Medicare beneficiaries. They will provide you with information that will help you make informed choices for yourself regarding your insurance benefits. The counselors are not affiliated with any insurance companies and will not attempt to sell you insurance. All counseling records are strictly confidential. SHIP is a partnership with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Alabama Department of Senior Services and the Area Agencies on Aging.

Find your State’s State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)

Old 05-05-2016, 05:47 AM

469 posts, read 761,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have this company bugging me (United Medicare Advisors). Do they charge for their services? The reason I asked is they sent me a monthly quote of $59.31 for American Continental after I told them I wanted HD-F plans below $50/month. The rate on the chart you sent me is $49.30.
United Medicare Advisors is an insurance agency licensed to sell in every state. Tell them you have already picked a plan without giving any details and they should stop calling. The Alabama DOI rate chart states it is the "lowest monthly premium offered by the named company." This means it is the rate for females with household discount. Rates for males are higher and there is no household discount if only one person has a Medigap plan with the company.

I have limited access to some rate quotes and for a male American Continental is $57.56. The $1.75 difference may be a discount for direct debit from checking account. The rates you found on the Humana website have a statement that it includes a discount for online enrollment. The rate is slightly higher if you enroll by phone to cover the call center agent's commission. I agree with consulting your local Council on Aging/SHIP.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:00 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
I agree about looking for a less expensive way to get the same coverage but am always concerned that the less expensive plans will "nickel and dime" you to death or contain fine print that ultimately screws you over. I guess we must go with whatever plan is comfortable for each of us.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I agree about looking for a less expensive way to get the same coverage but am always concerned that the less expensive plans will "nickel and dime" you to death or contain fine print that ultimately screws you over.
There is no fine print in a Medigap F/G wherein it can nickel and dime you death. It cannot happen. Some Medigaps may even offer extra benefits - but, at their core, Medigap F offered by three different companies ALL must offer identical core benefits. These plans are obligated by law to pay their share of whatever Medicare doesn't - no excuses. The main issue with Medigaps for many is they are more expensive. But, especially for those who are ill, Medigaps F/G (after deductible) limit the cost of Medicare-approved charges to the premium of the plan - which is great for the budget. In short, if Medicare pays for the service, so must the Medigap - no questions asked.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:18 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
I guess that's why I have been very satisfied with my Medigap plan J. I have absolutely no complaints about the value I get for the premium I pay. It really was a good option for me.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 AM

I talked to an agent for United American Insurance this morning and he told me this company and Liberty National and Globe Life are all sister companies. What decides which company you get is decided on what state I reside in. I contacted Liberty and got the phone call from United American.

United American's rate for me is $31/month and they have options for vision, dental & hearing aids for $6.95 more a month. I don't know if these options are $6.95 each or for all three of them. I did not think about asking. The agent is sending me more info.

All of these costs are for the HD-F plans.

P.S.: I got my Medicare card in the mail this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance