Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
There are a number of Canadian pharmacies that sell to US customers who live in the US, and have prescriptions written by US doctors. This one is in Vancouver BC which I have used when my insurance did not cover a certain medication - https://www.northwestpharmacy.com/

I wonder how they are able to stay in business and serve so many customers if they are violating Canadian law. It seems they would have been shut down a long time ago.

From their website:

"NorthWestPharmacy.com is also a certified member of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association, the International Pharmacy Association of British Columbia (IPABC) and is accredited by Pharmacy Checker. You can review each of these certifications by clicking on the various seals on our website to learn more."
Your link no longer works. Perhaps they have gone out of business? If that pharmacy was following Canadian law, they would of taken your US prescription to a Canadian doctor for review. Still sounds iffy to me. They got horrible reviews with one stating their drugs were from China etc and not Canada.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/NorthWestPharmacy

One online pharmacy states this.

"5. Can you fill prescriptions from American doctors?
If you want to receive your prescriptions from Canada, Canadian pharmacy regulations require all US prescriptions to be approved by a Canadian physician prior to being filled by a Canadian pharmacy. The Canadian Pharmacy will submit your Health Questionnaire along with your US prescription for independent medical review by a Canadian licensed physician.

6. What information does The Canadian Pharmacy need from me so that my order will be processed as fast as possible?
– A Completed Health Questionnaire
– A Signed Customer Agreement Form
– A Completed Medication Order Form
– A valid original prescription from your current US physician"

In my mind, a good doctor would NEVER issue a prescription without seeing a patient. Depending on the prescription of course.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-27-2016 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 04:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I have read this entire thread.

The amount of miss information and outright lies here is amazing to me.

In Canada, a pharmacy is legally prohibited from filling a prescription that was NOT written by a Canadian MD. PERIOD. That means that in order to be legal, a US customer has to BE in Canada, and SEE a Canadian MD, who examines the patient , and makes a diagnosis, and issues a script.

The US person then goes, in person, to a Canadian pharmacy, and presents their script to the pharmacist. The pharmacist fills the script and the US person, pays for it.

That's the procedure. The cost here is about $100 for a one use epi pen, made by the very SAME company that is the focus of so much discussion here. WHY is it cheaper here ?

Because in Canada our Federal Government controls the retail costs of all prescription drugs that are approved for use in Canada. Got that ? And we also limit the period of time that a patent on a drug can be held by the original maker. In reality , that encourages other drug makers to produce generics that are EXACTLY the same as the original, but at a much lesser cost. WHY? To benefit Canadians.

Imagine that, a national Government that acts in the best interests of their citizens ? Yes , really.

So, given the legal requirements I have cited above.... YES a US person can buy a epei pen in Canada, but they have to meet the legal requirements to do so . ALL of them.

Jim B.
My husband and I only bought drugs in Canada once (as opposed to merely thinking about it). It was years ago (maybe 15). Some kind of relatively new expensive blood pressure medication (at the time). We took the US doctor Rx with us on a trip to Canada. Gave the Rx to our hotel concierge. Who apparently got a Canadian doctor to review/rewrite the Rx. For a small fee (that we paid). And then the hotel concierge got the Rx filled - and delivered it to our hotel room. So there are perhaps people in the Canadian health care system who "wink" at the law - at least the way you describe it.

FWIW - this is an incredibly popular Canadian drug website:

https://www.canadadrugs.com/

It probably goes through somewhat the same process. Many doctors in Canada are underpaid. Perhaps some are willing to review US prescriptions and rewrite them to supplement their income? Robyn

Old 08-27-2016, 04:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My husband and I only bought drugs in Canada once (as opposed to merely thinking about it). It was years ago (maybe 15). Some kind of relatively new expensive blood pressure medication (at the time). We took the US doctor Rx with us on a trip to Canada. Gave the Rx to our hotel concierge. Who apparently got a Canadian doctor to review/rewrite the Rx. For a small fee (that we paid). And then the hotel concierge got the Rx filled - and delivered it to our hotel room. So there are perhaps people in the Canadian health care system who "wink" at the law - at least the way you describe it.

FWIW - this is an incredibly popular Canadian drug website:

https://www.canadadrugs.com/

It probably goes through somewhat the same process. Many doctors in Canada are underpaid. Perhaps some are willing to review US prescriptions and rewrite them to supplement their income? Robyn
Canadian doctors co-signing prescriptions for U.S. patients - Manitoba - CBC News

I wish I was as underpaid as a GP in my province where the average wage is $300,00 per year

Old 08-27-2016, 04:35 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This is not accurate. While it takes "thousands of pages" for FDA submissions, there is no "legal underwriting" by insurers, distributors or others.

Drug coverage decisions by insurers, that is to say their decision to include a drug in their fornulary, is usually a decision made by physicians. Formulary in this situation means covered at a lower tier than their top tier.

Most employer plans cover all drugs to some degree, in worst case with high deductibles and co-pays. Some have closed formularies, such as Part D, where some drugs are not covered.

Drug coverage varies widely, which is why its important to do one's homework.

It is unfortunate that there is no alternative to epi-pen. That gives pricing power.

Well actually there is an alternative to the EpiPen, and it predates that device and or is what EMS, nurses and others in healthcare did before and or have gone back to; syringe injection of epinephrine.

Autoinjectors have a place and purpose which is why they were invented, but there are alternatives.

You can purchase bottles of epinephrine OTC in France, or at least could last time one checked. Know this because had a very bad asthma attack when staying in Paris a few years ago. Went to local pharmacy, explained my situation expecting to purchase some sort of inhaler (left mine home in the States), instead was given a good sized green bottle of epinephrine. Read the directions and took dosage as recommended, end of wheezing...

Funny thing is when got back to the USA went to see my doc for a new prescription for inhalers. Related my adventure in Paris, and even showed him the bottle had brought back from France. He was "livid" to say the least! *LOL* Firmly told me to get shot of the stuff (pouring down drain) and then offered to do that task himself.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:26 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Your link no longer works. Perhaps they have gone out of business? If that pharmacy was following Canadian law, they would of taken your US prescription to a Canadian doctor for review. Still sounds iffy to me. They got horrible reviews with one stating their drugs were from China etc and not Canada.
The link works just fine for me. I spoke with them about a month ago regarding a prescription. Perhaps you're having some sort of problem with your computer.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:31 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
The link works just fine for me. I spoke with them about a month ago regarding a prescription. Perhaps you're having some sort of problem with your computer.
Perhaps the website is blocked in Canada. When I am outside the US - I find that some websites are blocked. And other inquires are "redirected". For example - I was recently in Spain - and when I went to Google - I would get Google Spain - not Google US. Robyn

Old 09-06-2016, 10:42 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Mylan to Launch Cheaper Generic EpiPen Alternative - WSJ

Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Launching cheaper "generics" is a tried and true, not to mention successful, strategy to ward off competition. Mylan is not doing this in response to high price complaints. It is no doubt doing it because it fears all the news/attention will draw competition and soften up the FDA to get alternatives approved faster.

Keep in mind that $300 is no bargain compared to $100 just a few years ago. And they can still creep that price up 20% per year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance