Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 AM

951 posts, read 1,439,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Most insurance these days allows domestic partner coverage - no marriage or dependent status required. Certainly was true of my former employer insurance since the year 2000 at least, possibly much earlier.
First time i have ever heard

This is open to fraud big time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 02:56 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,172,791 times
I can claim any income I want to because I retired entirely on savings. The problem is that my ACA Marketplace policy is $1500/month (I'm 64 now). Max subsidy I can get is about $300; posting income below what I put, they shunt me to Medicaid. Medicaid is junk - I don't want it. Nobody I go to accepts it. After about 59, your premiums will increase drastically. Mine sure did. It's an actuarial thing.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:58 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,172,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
First time i have ever heard

This is open to fraud big time
Of course. 2 straight guys can just be roomies, never lay a hand on each other, and qualify as partners for getting bennies. I know a few that do exactly that.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 PM

50,103 posts, read 46,680,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Of course. 2 straight guys can just be roomies, never lay a hand on each other, and qualify as partners for getting bennies. I know a few that do exactly that.
I know two gay people different sex that married each other to get citizenship in both Countries.

Unless my place gets bought out I have free medical for life for my family.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:33 PM

25,599 posts, read 56,301,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Since the legalization of same sex marriages, many companies (employers) have dropped domestic partner coverage.
That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
It is pretty rare to find an employer that offers this, even back when you were employed, your employer was one of the few that would have offered that coverage. Insurance companies are not usually the ones that set the qualifying standards for this, it is the owners of the policies--the employer.
The health insurance is self-funded, so the partners/owners had to agree to this. Current 2015 online profile says this:
Quote:
firm initiatives, including: benefits for domestic partners and transgender employees; retirement benefits for same-sex partners; comprehensive health care coverage for transgender employees; providing pro bono work specific to LGBT-related issues; LGBTA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Allies) affinity group.
Since they are constantly recruiting the very best and brightest from top schools, not being open in this area would limit their access to talent. Main office in WI, other offices acquired through lateral mergers in liberal states such as CA, IL, NY (and some not so liberal) and in Europe and Asia. Clearly, they have determined it is in their best business interests to be agnostic on this issue.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:29 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,968,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Maryland still has registered domestic partnerships and yes, the partners can be of any gender, straight or not. The issue is not whether they are having sexual relations but whether the partners have mutually consented to an interdependent relationship and live in the same residence. Perfectly legal.

I personally do not know any individual who is willing to legally share both their assets and liabilities with a partner, but I am aware that there are a few individuals who are willing to legally "partner up" but not get married.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:15 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,214,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I know two gay people different sex that married each other to get citizenship in both Countries.

Unless my place gets bought out I have free medical for life for my family.
I don't know anyone with free medical for life. You are indeed lucky. Stay with the job.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 PM

228 posts, read 258,892 times
In the last two years, I've transitioned from a workplace BCBS plan during 2015, to BCBS COBRA, to a marketplace ACA plan for 2016, to Washington Apple Health (Medicaid) for 2017.

I've read the concerns about Medicaid. However, I researched the issue both online, and in person with some people locally who have it, and the verdict was reasonably positive. I was able to keep the large local provider GroupHealth, and have managed to keep the same Primary Care Provider that I had with my ACA plan during 2017.

Time will tell whether there is a problem or not. In Washington, if a Medicaid-disqualifying event happens, the patient is pretty automatically and seamlessly transitioned onto an ACA plan corresponding to the new income level. I am working to avoid doing anything that would trigger that provision. As things stand, this plan is completely free for 2017: no premiums; no copays, nothing.

Clearly, things look likely to change considerably in 2018. I will await the changes and deal with them once they're implemented.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:27 AM

25,599 posts, read 56,301,809 times
^^You are also in a progressive blue state which helps your situation more than you know on several levels. Medicaid in a the red states is a whole different can of worms. Don't ever move to a red state if you need to access social safety nets.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:46 AM

48,384 posts, read 34,511,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I don't know anyone with free medical for life. You are indeed lucky. Stay with the job.
My husband gets free medical for life for himself and spouse, which I think includes dental and vision. It's a huge benefit and why a lot go for gov't jobs here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance