Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 02:44 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
Just got our new bill from BCBS of NC. Total cost just in insurance premiums for our family of four is going to be $13,500 for 2017. Not sure we can afford that. I make around $90,000+ per year so no discount. This is a huge strain on us and a very large slice of out net pay. Not sure what we are going too?
Doesn't it feel nice to be singled out by ACA to pay the full premium cost so others can get those nice fat subsidies on your dime? Especially those early retirees with $1 million+ net worth's that have "engineered" their incomes to be below the subsidy level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 03:22 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Agree. The healthy, non health care users have been thrown under the bus. We used to be rewarded for being healthy with lower premiums and catastrophic plans. The ACA does not allow that anymore. Unless, of course, you work for a corporation that gives you wellness discounts.

I think many people find it hard to believe that
- some people are healthy
- some people don't need or want any prescriptions
- some people would rather pay cash for health care instead of buying insurance

And we just want a catastrophic policy at an affordable price, like we used to have.
+1. Well said.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:25 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
<snip>

I also had a small stroke at the second surgery and can no longer work so had to sign up for SS. Luckily I turned 62 this year.

Morale of the story, you may think you can get by with no insurance, but you never know what might happen tomorrow. Trip going down a step or on rough pavement and you can end up living under a bridge.
Did you not apply for SS Disability? If not, you may still have time to apply. Given your impairments, you do NOT want to take a permanent 25% cut in SS benefits when you should be receiving a non-reduced disability check until you reach full retirement age. Hopefully, you have applied for both and you're just waiting for a disability decision.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:31 PM

123 posts, read 278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post
Hello, so is this totally on your own that you found in the market? Just curious if you can share.
This is a plan with have had for 5 or 6 years. Every year it has gone up by roughly 15-20% I've looked around and nothing comes close to what we are getting.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:45 PM

486 posts, read 653,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Did you not apply for SS Disability? If not, you may still have time to apply. Given your impairments, you do NOT want to take a permanent 25% cut in SS benefits when you should be receiving a non-reduced disability check until you reach full retirement age. Hopefully, you have applied for both and you're just waiting for a disability decision.

I have applied for disability, but we need the income from my SS payment to make ends meet. DH is also disabled and began his SS at 62 while awaiting a decision from the disability people. He received a check for the difference between his age 62 benefit and his full disability for the months he had received the age 62 benefit. I assume the same will apply should disability be approved.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:14 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
I have applied for disability, but we need the income from my SS payment to make ends meet. DH is also disabled and began his SS at 62 while awaiting a decision from the disability people. He received a check for the difference between his age 62 benefit and his full disability for the months he had received the age 62 benefit. I assume the same will apply should disability be approved.
Whew! That's a relief.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:02 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Guru View Post
Obama Care is the worst thing that ever happened to healthy upper middle class folks who don't get a subsidy, who don't have insurance through work. See below:
This is my situation as well. Retired at 60 when husband retired and he began Medicare. My aca plan is $620/mo. Last year my subsidy was less than $15 month, yikes so expensive!
But I am so grateful for the chance to be able to purchase insurance. So we live frugally and I look forward to Medicare in two years. The coming years sure will determine the future of health insurance, social security and Medicare. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:07 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Hubby had to retire at 64. He wound up needing ACA for a year and 3 months. It was the first year ACA was in effect, and he got a platinum plan with a subsidized payment of about $350 a month, and MOP of only $1500. a year.
This is a lot of money to us, but he happened to need a hip replacement that year, so he was completely covered for it.
Thankfully, we're on Medicare now.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I was forced into retirement at 62 and this employer paid for health insurance, and after this job I tried to find work but no one wanted to hire a 62 yr old. I did full time child care for a good year to fill in for the money I lost. I had no insurance until Medicare at 65, I did fine. It's just ME... My biggest insurance are my supplements, I'm never sick and deal with advancing arthritis and a mess hip replacement. I love my medicare, and buy no supplement...pay my copays but don't go to doctors very often at all.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:54 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Quote:
Florida Blue Select bronze plan, currently $125 a month, max $2250 out of pocket for in-network providers. $16 for meds, but cheaper next year. Premium is going up to $243 a month with subsidy, but income has changed and I plan to sit down with my tax professional, who incidentally also represents Florida Blue, and have her audit my options.
I'm in Florida and I'm looking at insurance plans. In looking at all the Florida Blue Select plans the lowest "out of pocket" I see offered is $6,350 for individual (in network provider). Can you share the Florida Blue Select plan number you are under? Thanks

Last edited by bobandsherry; 11-22-2016 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance