Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 09:51 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Medicare can be the greatest thing since sliced bread, if you choose your plan wisely.
I am desperately trying to hang on to ACA insurance until I reach 65 in June when my cost will drop by nearly $800. a month for complete coverage under plan A.B.D and F.
You the OP seem to be very confused about what Medicare really is. It is certainly not Welfare.
What makes you think it's not welfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 10:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Depends on how you define welfare. If it makes you happy to call it that, feel free to do so. Just don't expect a lot of folks to agree with you.

Heck, if to you "welfare" means anything at least partially paid for by the government, then here's a list for you to consider:

- Social Security
- public college attendance
- public schools
- highways
- public safety, such as police and fire services.

feel free to add to this.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:41 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Medicare can be the greatest thing since sliced bread, if you choose your plan wisely.
I am desperately trying to hang on to ACA insurance until I reach 65 in June when my cost will drop by nearly $800. a month for complete coverage under plan A.B.D and F.
You the OP seem to be very confused about what Medicare really is. It is certainly not Welfare.
Quote:
If your homeowner's insurance, which you paid for from earned income, pays out when your house burns down, is that welfare ?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:44 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know of someone who has NO insurance and did not sign up for Medicare. He is about 70ish and raised christian scientist. I Love my straight medicare which I have now 13 yrs and don't abuse it as I don't run to doctors for every little ache and pain. I'm my own doctor so much and love Dr. Google.

When I signed up for Medicare there were not all the plans of today. I have no supplement either as I am ok with my copays. I'd rather keep my money than pay for something I may never need. That's a lot of the insurance world.
Are you aware that in most parts of the Country you can get a medicare advantage plan with NO premium, rather than pay a 20% co-pay you would likely have no or very low co-pays and many of them not only cover your healthcare but have benefits like fitness club memberships, free or low cost eye exams and glasses and some have add-on dental care for a few dollars a month.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Most people consider welfare to be limited to needs based programs, i.e. SNAP benefits that are only given to the poor. Medicare is offered to everyone at 65 as long as they have worked 40 quarters, it is not a program only offered to the poor, see the difference?

Old 10-16-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
If your homeowner's insurance, which you paid for from earned income, pays out when your house burns down, is that welfare ?
Medicare is not insurance. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Funny how everyone says "I PAID for my Medicare!" and act like the money they put in was enough to cover what they take out when they turn 65.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most people consider welfare to be limited to needs based programs, i.e. SNAP benefits that are only given to the poor. Medicare is offered to everyone at 65 as long as they have worked 40 quarters, it is not a program only offered to the poor, see the difference?
I consider welfare to be something where OTHER people have to pay for your needs, usually by the government. While private insurance requires the insurance company to invest paid premiums and take risk based on actuarial data, the government has no money and simply takes from some then gives to others in the form of Medicare...and Medicaid, SNAP, food stamps, etc. See the difference?

Old 10-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Medicare is not insurance. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Funny how everyone says "I PAID for my Medicare!" and act like the money they put in was enough to cover what they take out when they turn 65.
Of course it's insurance, did you ever look for a definition of insurance?

a practice or arrangement by which a company or government agency provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment of a premium.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I consider welfare to be something where OTHER people have to pay for your needs, usually by the government. While private insurance requires the insurance company to invest paid premiums and take risk based on actuarial data, the government has no money and simply takes from some then gives to others in the form of Medicare...and Medicaid, SNAP, food stamps, etc. See the difference?
So, according to your definition roads, bridges, schools, libraries, air traffic control services, USDA inspections, police and fire services are all welfare?

Old 10-16-2016, 07:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
No I do not see the difference, any more than public schools, where "the government has no money and simply takes from some then gives to others" an education. I guess that's welfare too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance