Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,405 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Tacoma, WA to Charlottesville, VA in August 2017. I will be telecommuting but he will be literally retiring 7/31 and we will be moving 8/15. He will be losing his healthcare on 7/31, so he needs to sign up for Medicare part B on 8/1. Could anyone give us some advice about Medicare Advantage Plans that would be available in Charlottesville? Positive or negative experiences would be helpful. We could sign him up for a Medigap Plan for a few months, and that may be the best, but we would still appreciate and first hand information. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 05:43 PM

15,125 posts, read 27,634,921 times
YOU need to do the basic research and find out what companies there are - then come and ask about specific companies. Read through the threads, there are lots of links to where to look up your info.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM

25,605 posts, read 56,327,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singkat View Post
My husband and I are moving from Tacoma, WA to Charlottesville, VA in August 2017. Could anyone give us some advice about Medicare Advantage Plans that would be available in Charlottesville?
You can start by visiting https://www.medicare.gov/. Click on "Sign Up/Change Plans", click on find a health & drug plan, provide zipcode, list of MA's available in 2017 in your new area will populate.

Checking both Charlottesville City and Albemarle County - you have two choices with only one insurer Humana - either either an HMO or PPO. No other companies are offering an Advantage plan in the Charlottesville area.

After you're settled, you should probably find a good Medicare insurance broker and consult your SHIP people:

Find your State’s State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)

You might want to read this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

Old 10-31-2016, 09:45 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,335,817 times
We choose advantage over suppliment. Yes, suppliment covers a little more but is much more expensive. Though we do not live in VA. we have lived in 2 states since we turned 65. Right now we have Humana and have absolutely no complaints. I would check with the state of VA via email. that is how we found our plan both times.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,405 times
thanks, it is all new to us, so this helps point us in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance