Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times

Advertisements

I have been going to a new cardiologist for the past month having not been to one for the past several years. When his nurse was taking my blood pressure and recording my pills on the computer she said, "Oh, we have one question on here we didn't ask you yet. - Do you have a twin?" (I don't)

I thought that was very curious and asked her why they wanted to know. She said it was a question required by obamacare. Has anyone else been asked that? Actually I thought it was kind of creepy and the only thing that came to mind was the nazi experiments on twins. Yikes. No one has ever asked me that before. Why would they want to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
While I have never been asked if I was a twin, something did occur to me.

Apparently, it is a big problem, at least in some areas, that people use a relative's health insurance card to get their medical care. Although, it is a real long shot, perhaps that is a way of making sure that the doctor's office may need more than just a photo ID (if you are an identical twin).

Old 11-04-2016, 08:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Apparently, it is a big problem, at least in some areas, that people use a relative's health insurance card to get their medical care. Although, it is a real long shot, perhaps that is a way of making sure that the doctor's office may need more than just a photo ID (if you are an identical twin).
Well, then wouldn't they just lie and say no?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Well, then wouldn't they just lie and say no?
Maybe the original records say that John Smith has a twin. So, when the "John" Smith currently in the office says "no" it sends up a red flag.

BTW, I have been asked if my siblings and parents have any health problems, or if they are dead, the cause of death. Maybe the twin question was just one of those background questions.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:17 PM

The questions about siblings and parents health problems or deaths can help them diagnose any familial things you may have inherited or are prone to. I really can't see the necessity of knowing whether you are a twin, as opposed to merely a sibling.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is in fact a twin if they were then asked about the others' medical incidents including whether they needed to give info on the twins name, doctor, address, etc to obtain their medical files. Maybe it's for research purposes?

Old 11-04-2016, 11:21 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Kind of odd that you appear to be the only person who has ever been asked a question that is "required by Obamacare."

Old 11-04-2016, 11:24 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
Why didn't you just ask?

Old 11-05-2016, 12:34 AM

I did ask because it surprised me. She said it was a question required by obamacare. I have to go back in six weeks. Will question the doctor then if he has any insight into why they want to know. All our medical files here in Florida are electronic so would figure they'd ask everyone the same things. None of my other doctors who I've seen recently asked me that. Actually I'm on a medicare advantage plan.

It just struck me as odd. So no one else on here has been asked if they are a twin?

Old 11-05-2016, 04:18 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
This entire story is odd.

Everyone who has health insurance in the US could be considered to "have Obamacare" because we are all affected by the ACA.

Secondly, your cardiologist doesn't work for Obama. If there was a question required by your insurer, one would think the insurance company would ask it themselves.

My guess is your provider was asking you this question for a clinical reason like this, for example.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:22 AM

He may be part of a clinical study I suppose and his nurse may just give that as a pat answer to every question. I'll find out more when I see him next. It slipped my mind when I was talking to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance