Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 01:20 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times

Advertisements

Got a letter from Mutual of Omaha to see if I wanted to enroll in cancer insurance. It's about $23/mo (individual). There is cancer on BOTH sides of my family, so I'm thinking I should sign up for it & my current job doesn't offer this kind of benefits.

Who out there has cancer insurance? Is Mutual of Omaha good? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 01:43 PM

14,298 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I've never heard of cancer insurance. I've had cancer twice, and our regular health insurance policy (a Blue Shield PPO) covered everything, once we had met the deductible of course.

Are you saying you don't have any health insurance?

Old 11-06-2016, 01:54 PM

OP back.

I never say I have NO ins. I said my job (benefits) doesn't cover this, I don't believe (either at all or extensively). My ins. isn't the best. I'll have to check my current ins. coverage to see for sure. I have IEHP currently.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:56 PM

37,088 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Got a letter from Mutual of Omaha to see if I wanted to enroll in cancer insurance. It's about $23/mo (individual). There is cancer on BOTH sides of my family, so I'm thinking I should sign up for it & my current job doesn't offer this kind of benefits.

Who out there has cancer insurance? Is Mutual of Omaha good? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Any major medical insurance should cover cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:56 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Forever Blue - Mutual of Omaha is a good company, however if you already have health insurance consider getting Disability Insurance with them. In the event you did get sick with a heart problem or cancer or even had an accident, Disability Insurance would pay you about 60% of your monthly income. Most people aren't aware that it even exists but unless you have a lot of money in the bank, if you get seriously ill how are you going to continue to meet all your obligations?

* I am not an insurance agent/broker.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:02 PM

chiluvr1228, thanks for the info!

Old 11-10-2016, 05:03 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,283,689 times
I have a cancer policy. It is a supplemental policy offered by my employer along with dental, vision, and hospital indemnity. I took it out automatically when I went to work for this system. I have paid it for 15 years because it came out of my check via my cafeteria plan.

More than once I considered dropping the plan, but got busy and just neglected to do it.

I am glad now. My husband has cancer and this policy pays me not doctors. I received a lump sum with the diagnosis and pathology report and it pays for days he is in the hospital plus specific amounts for specific procedures. The checks come directly to me. They have helped cover those co-pays and other expenses not covered by my BCBS policy.

Be sure you read any potential policy information carefully. Be aware of what you are buying. Some cancer insurances only pay if the patient is admitted to the hospital on an inpatient basis. So many procedures today are outpatient. So far all of my husband's procedures have been outpatient and he gets his chemo treatments at the cancer clinic, the inpatient only insurance would not have been useful to us to this point.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Sorry about your husband, HeyTeach but you provided useful info. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2016, 06:33 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,747 times
I have a cancer policy thru Aflac. I haven't had to use it thankfully but will continue to pay into it. I do have excellent health insurance thru my husbands employer.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:55 PM

331 posts, read 1,051,877 times
I have a supplemental cancer policy through my work, it's Allstate. My father passed of colon cancer last year and even though I am still young, the plan cost me about $260/year, so I think it's worth it. it covers other diseases such as MS, Lyme Disease, bacterial meningitis, cystic fibrosis and quite a few more. The plan pays $300/day up to 70 days of continuous hospitalization, $50 per cancer screening (mammogram, colonoscopy, pap smear, PSA test). $3000 for initial cancer/disease diagnosis, lodging and mileage if you have to drive for chemo/radiation/doctor visit, doctor fees, chemo, surgery, prescriptions..... I am not sure what the max is and we just had annual enrollment which is how I remember all this. This is in addition to my health insurance and is paid directly to myself. I should add that I work for a large healthcare organization and comparing my coverage to my friends I do find my coverage in general to be better than most in general.

I also have a Hospital Confinement policy through my car/homeowners insurance company. Pays $250/day for 3+ day hospital stay for 365 days and $250 for qualifying outpatient surgery. I got this plan when I was younger and with my multi-policy discount through my insurance company when I went to drop it it only saved me like $5/mo so I kept it.

I realize it looks like I planning for my demise but I saw what my dad went through and how he struggled and want to make sure if something does happen that I don't have to worry about money if I can avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance