Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:46 PM

41 posts, read 112,538 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not. I am under Medi-Cal (California Medicaid). I qualify because of my income. My understanding is that it is part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If Trump is elected and repeals Obamacare (as he has said he will), how would this affect my coverage?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 01:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,018,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo255 View Post
Hi all,

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not. I am under Medi-Cal (California Medicaid). I qualify because of my income. My understanding is that it is part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If Trump is elected and repeals Obamacare (as he has said he will), how would this affect my coverage?

Thanks.
If you are part of the "expanded" medi-cal then yes. Repealing the ACA will take at least a few years

But if he succeeds in repealing it, he wants to replace it with Health Savings Accounts which I assume, will include a set amount of $$ each year set aside to cover health issues. So if your health issues are over-all pretty inexpensive, you're probably good.

http://<b>https://www.donaldjtrump.c...alth-care</b>/

Old 11-09-2016, 01:35 AM

25,593 posts, read 56,255,266 times
Trump has won. It is all over but the shouting.

Fortunately for you, you are in California - which has very liberal policies.

That said, were you able to enroll in Medi-Cal because of the Medicaid expansion? If so, if Trump does repeal the ACA (there will never, EVER, be a replace), then your Medicaid may be affected because the federal govt right now is subsidizing Medicaid expansion 100% and has promised to continue the subsidies at 90%. If the ACA is repealed, then that subsidy goes away - so, yes, your Medicaid could be affected.

That said, Trump is such a blowhard and liar (85% of what he says is a factual lie) - he may do nothing at all. It is really too soon to know.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:14 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,494,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
If you are part of the "expanded" medi-cal then yes. Repealing the ACA will take at least a few years

But if he succeeds in repealing it, he wants to replace it with Health Savings Accounts which I assume, will include a set amount of $$ each year set aside to cover health issues. So if your health issues are over-all pretty inexpensive, you're probably good.

http://<b>https://www.donaldjtrump.c...alth-care</b>/
HSAs don't help poor people. You have to have expendable income to put into an HSA. And all that does is save you taxes, which wouldn't benefit a poor person much, if at all.

Trump's economic plans are for the wealthy, is what I've read. Altho I suppose the middle class may get a bit, like under Bush.

Trump may not even know this. I doubt he knows any poor people on a personal level, and he's never been middle class or poor himself. He may not know that some people don't have expendable income. I prefer to think that than to think he knows that and doesn't care.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:18 AM

228 posts, read 258,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I would love to believe that it will take a few years to repeal the ACA. However, I don't understand why that would be the case. I read up on this a little. One article I read discussed various legislative approaches. One approach is a direct Congressional vote for repeal. The Dems can block that so long as they have at least 40 senators in support of a filibuster. It seems like the Democrats will have more than 40 senators, thus so far, so good.

Another approach is reconciliation which is not subject to filibuster, and thus requires only 51 votes to pass. There are obstacles and tricks to using this approach, but it seems that repeal will ultimately be possible. While some maneuvering would be needed, I don't see why it would take multiple years to accomplish. The author of the article I read concluded that the principal difficulty of repeal resided in the lack of a replacement plan. However, there is no requirement for Congress to have a replacement before voting for repeal.

I hope it will take years to repeal, and would love to hear why this is the case.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:20 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,494,442 times
Obamacare is a very complicated program that has tentacles that reach into various areas in the govt, businesses, and for individuals. It is unlikely that he can repeal it in one stroke, w/o it causing a great deal of harm to the country's health system and citizens and businesses.

Obamacare expanded Medicaid at least to the extent of raising the upper limit of income allowed. It may have expanded it in other ways, but I don't know. You can probably Google what the income limit was in your state before the expansion kicked in.

I hope you're able to still qualify. You're lucky if you have providers in your area who accept it, though. In many areas in the country, there are almost no providers who take Medicaid, and no hospitals in their areas who will.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:36 AM

7,878 posts, read 9,070,258 times
I would think Obamacare for the poor will be replaced by medicaid block grants to the states to deliver healthcare, which is how it should have been done in the first place. Sliding scale medicaid would had saved billions wasted on the many marketplaces set up and delivered carefrom the first dollar spent on setting up the system instead of fattening the wallets of IT companies.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 AM

25,593 posts, read 56,255,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I would think Obamacare for the poor will be replaced by medicaid block grants to the states to deliver healthcare, which is how it should have been done in the first place.
That assumes the states will be good actors and ACTUALLY use the money for Medicaid. They won't. States can do whatever they want with block grants. Block grants are just another means of getting money from the government under the disguise of one program and using it for another.

I've heard this cited over and over and over on C-Span.

One example - TANF:
Quote:
That is not what happened. In TANF’s early years, when the economy was strong and cash assistance caseloads were shrinking, states used the flexibility of the block grant to take some of the funds that had gone as benefits to families and redirect them to child care and welfare-to-work programs to further welfare reform efforts.

But over time, states redirected a substantial portion of their state and federal TANF funds to other purposes, to fill state budget holes, and in some cases to substitute for existing state spending.

Even when need increased during the Great Recession, states were often unable to bring the funds back to core welfare reform services and instead made cuts in basic assistance, child care, and work programs. How States Use Federal and State Funds Under the TANF Block Grant | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Block grants are a BAD IDEA. Similar to creating a voucher system for Medicare - another BAD Republican idea.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:47 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,462,000 times
Keep in mind Paul Ryan will no doubt be calling the economic policy shots. ACA goes through reconciliation, no replacement immediately. Replacement will be a separate bill, holding a gun to Dem Senators - they won't dare block anything.

Meanwhile, watch out for Medicare. Premium support. Need I say more? SSA? at a minimum, COLA adjustments will get even worse.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:50 AM

7,878 posts, read 9,070,258 times
Well then the feds can put more stipulations on how the money needs to be spent. The good thing I MO opinion about such a close election and the large number of people dependent on Obamacare is the program won't just get thrown away. It has to be replaced with something. Maybe restart the CHIP plans that worked pretty well pre ACA.

I am hopeful that I will once again get to contribute to a HSA and have more options available to me under the replacement plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance