Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 05:20 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,853,132 times

Advertisements

OK, I really have 2 different questions. But both stem down to one question. If I am changing ACA plans starting 1/1/17 do I need to contact my current plan and cancel them? Or is that fact that I didn't choose them enough?

First question..........Hubby is starting Medicare on 1/1/17. He had an ACA plan this year so needless to say he won't be applying for a plan through the website. When I put in the application for 2017 I removed his name off the pre-filled information saying that he was NOT applying through the ACA for coverage in 2017. Application only has my name on it. Is this enough or do I need to somehow cancel him by contacting BC/BS as well? It will not be renewed through them as I am changing plans in 2017 until I go on Medicare in July. Website seems to imply that if I don't put him on the application that is all I need to do since I'm not choosing a plan for him there.

Which leads me to question 2...........Is choosing the new plan to start 1/1/17 enough for me, or do I also need to contact BC/BS to cancel me? I will be picking up something much cheaper for the 6 months that I need it until Medicare kicks in for me and I don't want to be getting billed from BC/BS. The website seems to imply that it will just be changed and nothing else is required but I'm curious to know what someone who changed plans on the ACA did. I do realize that I will have to go into the .gov website and cancel mine before June 15th. I just need to know what happens when you change during the open enrollment period for the next year.

So do I need to contact BC/BS??? I absolutely hate dealing with those people and will avoid if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 03:03 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,098,029 times
Technically your plan ends on 12/31/16 so no, you don't really need to contact them, however, it will be easier if you do (won't get letters asking about "missed" payments, or possibly being charged if the system doesn't update on time, etc), especially if you have an automatic payment. I'm assuming you are not going with another BCBS plan. Just call their customer service line, ask them what the best way to move forward is, but when the new enrollments transfer for 2017 plans, your name shouldn't be on that list and thus, you are canceled.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 AM

2,361 posts, read 4,853,132 times
Qwerty: Thanks for the reply. I just spoke with someone at the .gov site and she said all is OK and I don't need to call BCBS, but I think I will anyway, as you said, just to make it easier. I just don't trust BC/BS to get it done and not bill me. Luckily, no, I don't have it done automatically but they do have my checking account on record as they wouldn't let me set up online pay without it even though I used a CC to pay them.

No, I'm moving to Aetna temporarily until I go on Medicare in July. We were paying BCBS $260 this year for BOTH of us, now they want $303 next year just for me!! So basically it went up well over 100%. I don't think so! And our income didn't change much, if any. I had an extra month of SS payment (less than $900) but still didn't put us over the 200% line for the big jump. Aetna may not be the best in the world but I haven't been to a doc this year since July and hubby since October, both for regular exams, so it's been pretty much pure gravy for BCBS this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance