Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,071 times

Advertisements

My family had some bad luck with employment this year 2016. Our household income is 18k due to mostly temp jobs. I will have to pay the fine for 8 months of no insurance

My question, do I use this 18k figure to purchase my 2017 healthcare.gov plan? One of the plans is very resonable with the healthcare credit subsidy. My issue is that let's say I get the job I'm applying for and am able to get health insurance through my employer, do I have to pay back all the money for the subsidy I received while unemployed in 2017? If I do pay back the premium subsidy, will I be required to pay for any additional costs such as coverage used? Also can I just quit my ACA plan soon as I get an employer plan or is it some kind of contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 03:41 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
IF you get a job that provides health insurance while you are on an ACA plan, you will/should know that and know when it will kick in, you then cancel the ACA plan when your insurance thru an employer takes effect. Not sure what you are asking or not understanding.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:47 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
You use the income you expect to receive in 2017 to figure 2017 premium. When your life changes, income loss/gain, birth/death of household member, etc. you revise your application to account for the changes in your life.

Are you certain you'll have to pay the penalty for not having coverage in 2016? Under certain conditions you can receive an exemption and not have to pay that penalty.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You use the income you expect to receive in 2017 to figure 2017 premium. When your life changes, income loss/gain, birth/death of household member, etc. you revise your application to account for the changes in your life.

Are you certain you'll have to pay the penalty for not having coverage in 2016? Under certain conditions you can receive an exemption and not have to pay that penalty.
My research shows no exemption for low income. I heard there was some sort of "catch all" exemption, but that information is not easily found on the net.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
IF you get a job that provides health insurance while you are on an ACA plan, you will/should know that and know when it will kick in, you then cancel the ACA plan when your insurance thru an employer takes effect. Not sure what you are asking or not understanding.
Am I responsible to pay for the subsidy I received while unemployed?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:41 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
My research shows no exemption for low income. I heard there was some sort of "catch all" exemption, but that information is not easily found on the net.
Please get your information directly from the government. https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/

Quote:
Am I responsible to pay for the subsidy I received while unemployed?
https://www.healthcare.gov/unemployed/

Old 12-15-2016, 03:56 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
My family had some bad luck with employment this year 2016. Our household income is 18k due to mostly temp jobs. I will have to pay the fine for 8 months of no insurance

My question, do I use this 18k figure to purchase my 2017 healthcare.gov plan? One of the plans is very resonable with the healthcare credit subsidy. My issue is that let's say I get the job I'm applying for and am able to get health insurance through my employer, do I have to pay back all the money for the subsidy I received while unemployed in 2017? If I do pay back the premium subsidy, will I be required to pay for any additional costs such as coverage used? Also can I just quit my ACA plan soon as I get an employer plan or is it some kind of contract?
Yes, you use your projected income to apply. They may ask for documentation, tax returns, but you can also supply your unemployment information too. Then, say in May you get a full-time job that doesn't offer benefits and your income goes up, you notify the exchange that you have an income change and they will adjust your premiums going forward. If your new job has benefits, you will simply just cancel your ACA plan when your employer plan becomes effective.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 AM

469 posts, read 761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Then, say in May you get a full-time job that doesn't offer benefits and your income goes up, you notify the exchange that you have an income change and they will adjust your premiums going forward.
Reporting a significant income increase to the exchange mid-year when the person has a Silver Plan with Cost Sharing Reductions (CSR) can cause the CSR to be reduced or eliminated for the remainder of the year. This increases the deductible and OOP and is the only way to lose CSR. A person cannot lose CSR when they wait until tax filing to reconcile.

Because of this, some people choose to increase their W-2 withholding or make quarterly federal income tax payments instead of notifying the exchange. This offsets the Premium Tax Credits (PTC) that are now too high for the income level.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:00 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Reporting a significant income increase to the exchange mid-year when the person has a Silver Plan with Cost Sharing Reductions (CSR) can cause the CSR to be reduced or eliminated for the remainder of the year. This increases the deductible and OOP and is the only way to lose CSR. A person cannot lose CSR when they wait until tax filing to reconcile.

Because of this, some people choose to increase their W-2 withholding or make quarterly federal income tax payments instead of notifying the exchange. This offsets the Premium Tax Credits (PTC) that are now too high for the income level.
Yes, this is the point???

I'm not sure what you are saying here. If you are getting subsidies because your income is low and you have an increase in your income that disqualifies you from subsidies, why would someone think they should still get them? Not to mention, chances are, with that income increase comes employer sponsored benefits. I'm not sure what the difference is between paying the higher premium or having more taxes taken out of your check makes, it works out to be the same in the end.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:10 AM

469 posts, read 761,634 times
Quote:
Not to mention, chances are, with that income increase comes employer sponsored benefits.
This scenario said the job offered no benefits. "Then, say in May you get a full-time job that doesn't offer benefits and your income goes up..."
Quote:
I'm not sure what the difference is between paying the higher premium or having more taxes taken out of your check makes, it works out to be the same in the end.
The tax liability works out to be the same but the person keeps the low deductible, low OOP Silver Plan with CSR the entire year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance