Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times

Advertisements

BIL was here last week. Goes on medicare next month.

He said 'they' are doing away with part F in 2020.

Anyone else heard this?

I will be responding to answers. My husband is on this and we love having part F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 AM

213 posts, read 216,446 times
Get Part G which is the same as Part F but does not cover the $183.00 Part B deductible. If you do a cost comparison, G is usually cheaper than F even when you add in the deductible.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Thank you! So is F going away.

Is it easy to change during open enrollment?

We can't change providers as husbands issue now.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 AM

216 posts, read 163,096 times
G by far better.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:21 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Default Medicare has "Parts" (A, B, C, D) - Medigaps have "Plans"

Plan F is being discontinued because Congress doesn't like the first dollar coverage of Plan F - believing people are more apt to run to the doctor when it doesn't "cost" them anything. Those who already have Plan F should be grandfathered - based on what has happened with other discontinued Medigaps (like J).

The only difference between Medigap Plans F & G is Plan G does not pay the Part B deductible - which today is $183 - whereas Plan F does pay that deductible. Difference in premiums for Plan F v. Plan G can often exceed $183/yr. - depending on carrier. My sister says a premium differential greater than the actual deductible is fine with her because she never sees a bill and likes it that way.

Concern with discontinuance of Plan F is the closed risk pool. Over time, again depending on carrier, Plan F may be become more expensive more quickly due to an older and sicker book of business. If I had an F and my carrier offered me a G, I would switch to that in the hope that the deductible and open book of business might tend to mitigate premium increases.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Thank you for all your help!

WTH should congress care? These are private insurance companies offering private coverage right.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:19 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Thank you for all your help!

WTH should congress care? These are private insurance companies offering private coverage right.
Because the structure of health insurance plans very much affects the total cost of healthcare, something that congress should be concerned with. Private insurance has no motive to reduce the overall cost of health care because insurance is largely a conduit for payments - by channeling the money through them they get to skim some off the top.

But also, Medigap plans, like plan F, depend on Medicare to work. Anybody who is on Medigap must be on Medicare and Medicare is largely paid for by US taxpayers. So Congress does not want insurers creating plans that will then put additional burdens on Medicare itself.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:25 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
I just looked things up. Apparently both Plan F and Plan C are being discontinued. These plans are ones that pay the deductible and so cost the insurer the most, I guess.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:35 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I just looked things up. Apparently both Plan F and Plan C are being discontinued. These plans are ones that pay the deductible and so cost the insurer the most, I guess.
The insurance companies are not the drivers for closure of Plans C and F. The premiums for the plans compensate the insurer for that tiny deductible.

As 2x4 says, the govt pays Medicare benefits and the govt is dictating this change. My sister does run to the doctor any and everything. I doubt, in her case, the $183 deductible, would be a deterrent - but for many people it would.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
I didn't say who the ultimate insurer was - it doesn't matter who it is - it became too expensive to be continued. It's not a political statement, just a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance