Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM

14,394 posts, read 20,470,757 times

Advertisements

What insurance products are out there for those with possible retinal detachment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,964,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What insurance products are out there for those with possible retinal detachment.
I'm not sure what you are asking. A retinal detachment is a true medical emergency. I think the question is what health insurance product would not cover the diagnosis and treatment of a retinal detachment.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:29 PM

7,894 posts, read 9,083,435 times
Kind of late to buy it now. Enrollment is over for the year for the individual market.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:30 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,285,730 times
Retinal detachment often requires surgery. Any compliant health insurance plan should cover the services with the appropriate deductibles, copays, etc.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:00 AM

The choices at the moment are Medicare part A and part B.

The last time we looked at B in the booklet we saw B covered only cataract.

I had laser eye surgery on both eyes long ago and I do not remember where the surgery was done. It was not in the doctors office so it had to another facility or the hospital.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,616,159 times
Quote:
The choices at the moment are Medicare part A and part B.

The last time we looked at B in the booklet we saw B covered only cataract.

I had laser eye surgery on both eyes long ago and I do not remember where the surgery was done. It was not in the doctors office so it had to another facility or the hospital.
Let me understand this: you paid for elective laser surgery to avoid wearing glasses but you don't pay for a Medicare supplemental plan?

In any event, a detached retina is absolutely an emergency. Get your butt to the doctor or emergency room!

Old 04-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Let me understand this: you paid for elective laser surgery to avoid wearing glasses but you don't pay for a Medicare supplemental plan?

In any event, a detached retina is absolutely an emergency. Get your butt to the doctor or emergency room!

Nope emergency laser surgery both eyes for detached retina.
Insurance then was Medicare part A. Rest paid out of pocket.

Now very, very intermittent symptoms which could be retina related.
Medicare part A won't cover it.
Will Medicare part B?

Outside of Medicare we see Medicare Advantage policies which claim to give dental and vision insurance. We have not checked with them yet.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,616,159 times
Quote:
Nope emergency laser surgery both eyes for detached retina.
Insurance then was Medicare part A. Rest paid out of pocket.

Now very, very intermittent symptoms which could be retina related.
Medicare part A won't cover it.
Will Medicare part B?

Outside of Medicare we see Medicare Advantage policies which claim to give dental and vision insurance. We have not checked with them yet.
Please accept my apologies for my incorrect assumption. I feel like an as$.

Yes, Medicare b should cover this.

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/...cover-eye-care

PLEASE do go get this taken care of today. You don't want to wait until Monday!

One warning about Medicare Advantage programs: You cannot choose your doctors. It's like a HMO that way. And in MANY parts of the country the doctors that accept MA are few and far between. And if you travel. . . Compare to a Plan F supplemental coverage and shop around different companies (including USAA which does sell Medicare supplements to everybody, not just USAA members. The plan offered by AARP is good, too.)

Fingers crossed for your eye.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,285,730 times
Because he is outside the annual open enrollment period, OP's Advantage coverage wouldn't begin until January 1, 2018, earliest. For now, Part B is his only option with attendant copays - unless he decides to purchase a Medigap to cover the 20% not paid by Medicare. Medigaps can be bought at any time but, depending on the state, insurers can require health underwriting for those outside the Medigap initial enrollment period.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 AM

47 posts, read 37,263 times
If you have a retinal detachment or a possible one, go to the doctor to find out one way or another. If you do have one talk to the doctor, hospital, etc. where you will have the procedure and find out how much it will cost if you pay your share in cash. My sister in law had back surgery and when she asked the hospital how much the operating and recovery rooms would be if she paid cash, the price went from $70k down to $6k. It never hurts to ask or negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance