Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times

Advertisements

I live in a state that requires Medigap insurers to offer at least 1 plan to people under 65 who are disabled and on Medicare. DH's Supplemental plan costs $166.48/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM

21 posts, read 26,719 times
What state is the Original Poster in? Medigap regulations for under-65 disableds vary by state and in some areas the policies are much more affordable than in others. There are a few states where the rates for <65 need to match the rates for age 65 policyholders.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
He's in Washington.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:45 PM

82 posts, read 154,666 times
I'm an under-65 disability and Medicare recipient. I have an Advantage plan (Humana, a PPO plan versus the more common HMO). I am charged the same as older Medicare recipients. There is no monthly extra fee for my particular plan, other than the Medicare B premium. I also get extra help from SS for my prescriptions. I just pay the copays for physician visits that are outlined in my plan. However, (as others on this board have stated in other threads), Advantage plans differ from state to state, and also seem be better in larger towns or cities, as doctor participation and quality can vary. I'm in Orlando so I have a decent amount of doctors and facilities to choose from.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:10 AM

21 posts, read 26,719 times
Washington is a state that does not require companies to sell Medigap insurance to applicants below 65, so most companies do not sell to this age group. From what I can tell, the only ones that currently sell to under-65 are Premera Blue Cross and Colonial Penn. In this case, the good thing about Washington is that it requires premiums to be community rated, so they will not vary based on age or gender. If you are interested in Medigap be sure to apply during your initial Open Enrollment period so that you can qualify regardless of any health conditions that you may have.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:22 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times
I had Medicare disability insurance in my late 50s through now that I'm 65. At first I had a Medicare Advantage plan--not good for me because the non-covered co-pays were high and when I needed home injectable drugs neither Medicare nor the Med Advantage plan would cover them--I could not afford the $1000/mo copays and I'm still paying the collection co.! Also, many physicians do not take Med Advantage. I changed to a Medicare supplement which cost me $250/mo. Most states have only one or two insurance companies that offer supplements (medicaps) to disabled under 65. Part D for drugs is a separate issue.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I had Medicare disability insurance in my late 50s through now that I'm 65. At first I had a Medicare Advantage plan--not good for me because the non-covered co-pays were high and when I needed home injectable drugs neither Medicare nor the Med Advantage plan would cover them--I could not afford the $1000/mo copays and I'm still paying the collection co.! Also, many physicians do not take Med Advantage. I changed to a Medicare supplement which cost me $250/mo. Most states have only one or two insurance companies that offer supplements (medicaps) to disabled under 65. Part D for drugs is a separate issue.
If neither medicare or medicare advantage would pay for these "home injectable" drugs I'm not sure how you convinced a medicare supplement plan to pay for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance