Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 3,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady400 View Post
We are considering changing Medigap plans for my husband, who will turn 67 this May. We currently have BCBSTx high deductible F. We are considering trying to get him into an "F" or "G" policy. We do not have a guaranteed issue at this point. He also has significant pre-existing conditions (not ESRD), and I don't think he will pass underwriting on a change within BCBS.

I was looking at the AARP UHC Medigap F (G is apparently not offered in Texas), as the word is that underwriting is softer on this policy. It is my information that it is also community rated.

However, I am confused. When using the website to price a policy, the rate does change depending on what birth date I fill in. An older age has a higher quote. I thought community rated was supposedly the same across age/gender/health conditions? Or am I misunderstanding it?

I also noted that the start date in the year made a difference - the later in the year the start date, the higher the quote.

Can someone clear up my confusion?
So, I won't address the community based rating. That has been done already. What I will tell you is although UHC AARP is a wonderful choice in many states, not so much in Texas. There are approximately 20 companies in Texas who I personally write for and many are A Rated with much better pricing than AARP. This is not an add for my services, but trying to spread the knowledge.

Currently there are several companies with better pricing. Remember, the core benefits are the same no matter what company you choose. The Federal Government Mandates this (Pg 81 Medicare and You 2017).

What worries me with your question is the pre-existing conditions. It is very difficult to make changes to your coverage after you pass the initial enrollment. All companies vary and UHC AARP does have two plans, a Standard and a more expensive version for people with certain conditions, but it still won't cover everyone. Insurance companies are in business to make money and if they know your health will more than likely outweigh your premiums they simply will not write you. Plan F covers everything Medicare does not and Plan G does the same with the exception of the initial Part B deductible of $183 in 2017.

AARP is coming out with a Plan G, but underwriting is not softer. I do multiple applications for clients everyday and the question are the same for Plan G as with Plan F with every company.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 PM

60 posts, read 51,385 times
Thumbs up Success

In case it is of interest to anyone else, we were successful in changing to a Plan F medicare supplement through AARP UHC. Once they have plan G my area (scheduled for July 1), we will apply to change to plan G.

The way the the current application is structured (it changes for start dates July 1 and beyond), we were not required to answer any questions that would have involved my husband's pre-existing condition, as long as our Part B start date was within the last 3 years. There were some health questions, but none that would have disqualified him. Had he been beyond this 3 year time frame, we would have had to answer questions pinpointing his condition. He has the standard discounted rate.

mrmarkg, I was not referring to different underwriting between plan F and plan G. I apologize if that was not clear. I was concerned that since we are not in a GI situation, we would not be able to get coverage at all. All the other applications I reviewed would have required us to answer questions that I believe would have disqualified him. I will DM you if you truly believe we could do better here, but at the moment I am just glad to get more coverage, and the rates seem competitive to me.

Thanks to all responded and gave guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance