U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 PM
 
58 posts, read 40,743 times
Reputation: 72

Advertisements

We are considering changing Medigap plans for my husband, who will turn 67 this May. We currently have BCBSTx high deductible F. We are considering trying to get him into an "F" or "G" policy. We do not have a guaranteed issue at this point. He also has significant pre-existing conditions (not ESRD), and I don't think he will pass underwriting on a change within BCBS.

I was looking at the AARP UHC Medigap F (G is apparently not offered in Texas), as the word is that underwriting is softer on this policy. It is my information that it is also community rated.

However, I am confused. When using the website to price a policy, the rate does change depending on what birth date I fill in. An older age has a higher quote. I thought community rated was supposedly the same across age/gender/health conditions? Or am I misunderstanding it?

I also noted that the start date in the year made a difference - the later in the year the start date, the higher the quote.

Can someone clear up my confusion?

Last edited by lady400; 04-18-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2017, 01:48 PM
 
1,727 posts, read 911,956 times
Reputation: 9466
I can't answer some of your questions (we'll wait for our resident experts), but I have seen that AARP UHC is rolling out a Plan G on July 1. On another thread here, I saw a suggestion to enroll in F with them and as they evidently allow easy switching between their plans, moving to the G when it becomes available.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,560 posts, read 50,172,798 times
Reputation: 18217
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady400 View Post
We are considering changing Medigap plans for my husband, who will turn 67 this May. We currently have BCBSTx high deductible F. We are considering trying to get him into an "F" or "G" policy. We do not have a guaranteed issue at this point. He also has significant pre-existing conditions (not ESRD), and I don't think he will pass underwriting on a change within BCBS.

I was looking at the AARP UHC Medigap F (G is apparently not offered in Texas), as the word is that underwriting is softer on this policy. It is my information that it is also community rated.

However, I am confused. When using the website to price a policy, the rate does change depending on what birth date I fill in. An older age has a higher quote. I thought community rated was supposedly the same across age/gender/health conditions? Or am I misunderstanding it?

I also noted that the start date in the year made a difference - the later in the year the start date, the higher the quote.

Can someone clear up my confusion?
What website are you using? Medicare.gov lists a whole bunch of providers for Medigap G, including AARP, in the Dallas area. AARP UHC is the only policy community-rated.

The reason you get differing rates is because UHC discounts the maximum community-rated premium for those under 75. Thereafter, everyone pays the same.

For example, in my area a couple of years ago, anyone 75 and over was paying $259.50 fpr tje Plan F, whereas a male at age 65 would pay $181.64, with the premiums increasing annually b/c of age until the community-rated maximum is reached.

Suggest you talk to a Medicare agent in your area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 05:37 PM
 
58 posts, read 40,743 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
I can't answer some of your questions (we'll wait for our resident experts), but I have seen that AARP UHC is rolling out a Plan G on July 1. On another thread here, I saw a suggestion to enroll in F with them and as they evidently allow easy switching between their plans, moving to the G when it becomes available.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks, that is interesting information. What is even more interesting is that I plugged in a start date of July 1, to see if G would be listed then. It was not, but what did appear was a new set of rates. Along with the "standard discounted enrollment rate", was a "Level 2 Rate", which was much higher than standard rates, just about double!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
What website are you using? Medicare.gov lists a whole bunch of providers for Medigap G, including AARP, in the Dallas area. AARP UHC is the only policy community-rated.

The reason you get differing rates is because UHC discounts the maximum community-rated premium for those under 75. Thereafter, everyone pays the same.

For example, in my area a couple of years ago, anyone 75 and over was paying $259.50 fpr tje Plan F, whereas a male at age 65 would pay $181.64, with the premiums increasing annually b/c of age until the community-rated maximum is reached.

Suggest you talk to a Medicare agent in your area.
I was using the AARP UHC website. Although Medicare.gov shows AARP UHC with a community-rated G plan, it does not come up on the actual AARP UHC website for my zip code 76018. It does have F and several others.

Thanks for the explanation of the rising rates on age. That makes more sense now.

I will take your advice to find a Medicare agent in our area, this might be a dicey thing to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 06:07 PM
 
439 posts, read 593,320 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady400 View Post
What is even more interesting is that I plugged in a start date of July 1, to see if G would be listed then. It was not, but what did appear was a new set of rates. Along with the "standard discounted enrollment rate", was a "Level 2 Rate", which was much higher than standard rates, just about double!
UHC AARP Medigap plans are community-rated but they have to offer the discounts outlined in the PDF link below to compete with attained-age plans.

UHC AARP will start rolling out their Plan G on 7/1/17. As mentioned above, UHC/AARP makes switching between their plans easy, so he could enroll in F and have your agent or customer service switch him to Plan G when it's available in your area.

I entered a birthdate of 5/2/1950 on their website. For a 5/1/2017 effective date, it only returned the standard rate. For a 7/1/2017 effective date (age 67), it returned both the standard rate and the higher level 2 premium discussed in the PDF. This suggests the additional health questions in Section 6 on page 81 of the below PDF may apply to Texas applicants age 67+ without GI. Please consult with a local agent or UHC customer service to confirm.

UHC AARP Texas Brochure and Application: https://www.smsteam.net/wp-content/u...andbook_TX.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 PM
 
58 posts, read 40,743 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
UHC AARP Medigap plans are community-rated but they have to offer the discounts outlined in the PDF link below to compete with attained-age plans.

UHC AARP will start rolling out their Plan G on 7/1/17. As mentioned above, UHC/AARP makes switching between their plans easy, so he could enroll in F and have your agent or customer service switch him to Plan G when it's available in your area.

I entered a birthdate of 5/2/1950 on their website. For a 5/1/2017 effective date, it only returned the standard rate. For a 7/1/2017 effective date (age 67), it returned both the standard rate and the higher level 2 premium discussed in the PDF. This suggests the additional health questions in Section 6 on page 81 of the below PDF may apply to Texas applicants age 67+ without GI. Please consult with a local agent or UHC customer service to confirm.

UHC AARP Texas Brochure and Application: https://www.smsteam.net/wp-content/u...andbook_TX.pdf
Wow, SCGamecock, this is very useful, thank you so much. It explains everything I was seeing. From the quick read through of the app, he is still in the clear, and should not have level two rates. I will review it more detail.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 PM
 
1,727 posts, read 911,956 times
Reputation: 9466
lady400, I don't know whether I can make a recommendation to you here for an agent/company to work with (I am also in Texas), so if you would like to DM me, I would be happy to do so.

I just started my Medicare in January. I researched and researched for months trying my best to get a comprehensive understanding of Medicare. There were many threads here that helped me. When I was pretty sure I wanted Original Medicare and a supplement and was trying to finally make up my mind between Plans F and G, I came across a website and put in a request for information (which is about the last thing I ever do). But I was contacted the next day by a very nice agent who answered my questions thoroughly, gave me the information and comparisons of companies and premiums that I needed and let me work through everything with no pressure. There was no cost to me and all the set up went smoothly in applying and purchasing a Plan G (with another company – not AARP UHC) and a Part D drug plan.

She was here locally in Fort Worth, but they are licensed in 46 states. They have a really helpful website with some of the clearest, easy to understand articles I came across anywhere. I am planning a move to another state before the end of the year and will work with her again. They also are available to go to bat for you should you have any problems with your coverage or Medicare itself.

Obviously, I am pleased with the service I received. I have no [business] affiliation with them otherwise. And I finally got a good night's sleep once the decisions were made and in gear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 07:30 AM
 
58 posts, read 40,743 times
Reputation: 72
Thank you so much Catzpaw. You have a DM.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 PM
 
1,583 posts, read 2,132,220 times
Reputation: 2470
If this is the "Secure Horizons" plan....run away fast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,560 posts, read 50,172,798 times
Reputation: 18217
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
If this is the "Secure Horizons" plan....run away fast.
Secure Horizons is an Advantage plan. Nothing to do with a Medigap. No one here has ever reported a problem with the UHC Medigaps. Advantage plans are another issue, entirely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top