Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, I wasn't, I quit taking them after 3 months when I was in my 20's because they made me feel so sick.
I'm definitely not a fan now, my daughter almost died.
All medications have potential risks. All of them. Ever research the possible fatality risk of aspirin?

So unfortunately your daughter may be getting another possible abortion in the future, since all other forms of contraception are not nearly as effective as the pill, as long as you're okay with that. If she does, do you think she will tell you about that one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
All medications have potential risks. All of them. Ever research the possible fatality risk of aspirin?

So unfortunately your daughter may be getting another possible abortion in the future, since all other forms of contraception are not nearly as effective as the pill, as long as you're okay with that. If she does, do you think she will tell you about that one?
The point was that as a minor, she had complications from a procedure done by a facility and medical staff that we did not give consent for and would not have chosen. If the OP wants to go down the same road and start getting medical advice, medication and maybe procedures from a clinic just for the anonymity, her parents may find out anyway and it may be because those clinics do not have the same level of professionalism and competence as the family doctor, gynecologist or pediatrician.

My daughters learned the hard way, they have good ob/gyns and children now. I don't think either one would set foot in one of those clinics again.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The point was that as a minor, she had complications from a procedure done by a facility and medical staff that we did not give consent for and would not have chosen. If the OP wants to go down the same road and start getting medical advice, medication and maybe procedures from a clinic just for the anonymity, her parents may find out anyway and it may be because those clinics do not have the same level of professionalism and competence as the family doctor, gynecologist or pediatrician.

My daughters learned the hard way, they have good ob/gyns and children now. I don't think either one would set foot in one of those clinics again.
I think her point may have been that your daughters felt like they had to conceal their need for birth control from you, which could have contributed to your daughter's need for an abortion.

The pill is the most popular method of contraception, and there are more than ten million women in the US using it, so it's not unlikely to know a woman or two who have had a severe side effect from it. It's scary and unfortunate that your daughter was one of the people who experienced it, but it doesn't mean it's dangerous for everyone.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The pill is the most popular method of contraception, and there are more than ten million women in the US using it, so it's not unlikely to know a woman or two who have had a severe side effect from it. It's scary and unfortunate that your daughter was one of the people who experienced it, but it doesn't mean it's dangerous for everyone.
The National Blood Clot Alliance says that it's 1 in 1000 women that develop these clots. With ten million users, that's a lot of healthy women taken down, in every town, with severe complications that could kill them. I glanced at a few clinic websites that are promoting birth control pills and they only mention headaches, weight gain and other minor side effects. They say look at the package insert for more serious complications.

OP, if you want to do this by yourself, ask lots of questions, find out if you have a family history of blood clots, read up on the risks and side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance