Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 03:32 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times

Advertisements

This guide is excellent and well worth the price. The online version covers the entire country. The print one only DC. I've used the guide for years, and just received notice for this year
Quote:
Because you have purchased Checkbook's Guide to Health Insurance Plans for Federal Employees (www.guidetohealthplans.org) in the past, we wanted you to know that the 2018 edition is available for pre-order purchase.

Choosing the right health plan is one of the most important decisions you have to make. Rising costs and changing benefits don't make it an easy one. The Checkbook Guide has for 39 years provided federal employees and annuitants with rankings of available health insurance plans by estimated out-of-pocket costs, taking into account premiums, catastrophic limits, and estimates of likely additional costs for medical expenses of every kind. FEDVIP Dental and Vision plans are also rated in the Checkbook Guide.

Click here to Purchase Access to the Guide

• HMO, Fee-for-Service, Managed Care, HDHP, CDHP, Medicare Part B...which is the best plan for you?
• Are you paying too much in your current plan or not getting the benefits you need?
• Are you in the wrong type of plan for your situation?
Purchase Access to the Guide by Clicking Here

If the above link does not work, copy and paste the link shown below in your browser:

http://www.checkbook.org/redirectAct...C827DBE2E6707D

The online Guide can be pre-ordered now. 2018 health plan data will be available at the start of Open Season which begins November 13th. We hope you take advantage of this one-of-a-kind resource to make an informed decision this upcoming Open Season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:15 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
I agree that Checkbook's Guide to Health Care Insurance Plans is probably the best resource on evaluating health care insurance options available for Federal Employees. Employees and retirees should check their plans during Open Season (Nov 13 - Dec 11) as rates and coverage change, and many rates have significantly increased for 2018.

Before you purchase the reference however, check to see if this service is provided to you for free by your local library. Most public libraries in the DC Metro area subscribe to this service. It may be available in other US cities with a large number of federal employees (search for Consumers Checkbook under available library database services). To the best of my knowledge, you will have to access Checkbook from a library terminal rather than remotely offsite.

In 2016, I printed off a hardcopy of the Guide (32 p) at my library, only paying a standard library charge per page. I refer to it often. One of the best features of the Checkbook site is that it will allow you to run various specific comparisons of the health plans tailored to your personal specifics such as family size, home location, etc. The Checkbook comparison tool compares up to 3 plans at a time against dozens of specific details such as in network vs out of network charges, outpatient care, hospitalization, emergency care, mental health/substance abuse, chiropractic, acupuncture, hearing aids, drug coverage, etc. It also provides a Consumer Reports type rating system on the various plans in multiple categories of customer service, quality of clinical care, coverage of health care screenings, etc.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:12 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
^ Heck, it's only $8. Two Starbucks lattes.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:16 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
For a brief moment I thought the title of this thread was "Open Season on Federal Retirees". I guess I've been spending too much time on the Retirement forum. LOL

Old 10-14-2017, 04:15 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
For a brief moment I thought the title of this thread was "Open Season on Federal Retirees". I guess I've been spending too much time on the Retirement forum. LOL
It is open season on federal retirees, Lenora! The House Budget Resolution has several proposals to decimate our federal pensions as well as FEHB and the TSP G Fund. For the first time, I sent emails to my Senators to protest as we are now at the mercy of the Senate. And I am in the 30% of the middle class that would pay more taxes under the Trump tax reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance