Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:07 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,083,950 times

Advertisements

Update on my February ER visit and Liberty Heathshare:

The Hospital in Texas billed Liberty $7K+, and this was negotiated (aka "repriced") by Liberty to $1168. My annual family deductible (unshared amount) is $1K, so the remainder of the bill, $168, was paid by Liberty members as part of their monthly sharing. In all this I was never contacted by the hospital directly, and it appears that Liberty did its part to reduce the original bill to a more reasonable number.

Of course that begs the larger question: why the heck do hospitals get away with their phony pricing schemes in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 02:15 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Thanks for the update. That's a quick resolution. For healthy people without employer coverage, Liberty or similar are the way to go these days, imo.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:19 PM

371 posts, read 287,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
CHM has been great for us. We had a gold share on me and then brother’s keeper. Hundreds of thousands of nicu bills covered. Surgeries and imaging reimbursed. Some minor issues with a claim close to the start date but overall nothing worse than I’ve had with insurance companies.

Reimbursement can be super slow though. Like, ridiculous. 3-6 months. So just be aware that it makes sense to have a credit card or account you can just charge the services to and pay off at your leisure later, because the turnaround is not quick.

We got a new job and insurance with it that is a better deal for us than CHM, so we aren’t on it anymore, but if our insurance got too expensive for us to afford again (our premium quadrupled and our deductible went higher too) we’d definitely join back up.
This is my friend's experience. Well not to that degree of heafty medical bills....they've accumulated around 50K which the Health Care Sharing Ministry covered, no problem. You know they have to cover it or they'll be out yesterday. No one wants them so they need to work harder than a typical insurance company you pray will cover your needs. They pay about $60 per mo ea. for a healthcare sharing ministry. This includes the brothers keeper up to 1million. It's less than half of the cost of a medigap. We were members too at one point.

• Total IHS employees: 15,369
  • Includes 2,648 nurses, 725 physicians, 698 pharmacists, 272 dentists, 115 physician assistants, and 110 sanitarians.
[*]Facilities Hospitals Health Centers Alaska Village Clinics Health Stations IHS 26 59 N/A 32 Tribal 19 284 163 79[/list]

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-04-2018 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: off topic portion deletec

Old 10-19-2018, 06:56 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Frustrated with health insurance costs, some turn to religious plans instead - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance