U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 AM

422 posts, read 324,044 times

Advertisements

I get free SS membership through my supplemental insurance plan. I have been in conversations with my gym about how they might make the facility more friendly for folks like me. It would be helpful to know if the gym has much in the way of financial incentive for attracting more SS members. I have read that they get paid only if member uses the gym at least 4 times per month, but also been told that they get paid for every visit. But I have no real idea as to how much they are compensated.

As a near-daily user, am I a financial benefit to my gym (i.e., they get more for me as a SS member than they would from a regular membership) or am I a financial burden? Thanks for input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 09:56 AM

A bump and for comparison's sake: this week my gym (a Gold's) is offering $29.99 memberships, no contract. Do they get even less than that for SS members who actually come to the gym at least once a week? Anybody?

Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM

12,378 posts, read 21,956,136 times
I guess you have to find out from the gym.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:39 PM

2,936 posts, read 4,758,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
I get free SS membership through my supplemental insurance plan. I have been in conversations with my gym about how they might make the facility more friendly for folks like me. It would be helpful to know if the gym has much in the way of financial incentive for attracting more SS members. I have read that they get paid only if member uses the gym at least 4 times per month, but also been told that they get paid for every visit. But I have no real idea as to how much they are compensated.

As a near-daily user, am I a financial benefit to my gym (i.e., they get more for me as a SS member than they would from a regular membership) or am I a financial burden? Thanks for input.

This article states that health clubs benefit from Silver Sneaker members, especially if they use the gym often.

Local fitness centers benefit from 'Silver Sneakers' amid competition for members - News - The State Journal-Register - Springfield, IL
"The program pays participating health clubs based on the number of times a person visits, with the reimbursement capped at about $30 per member per month, so FitClub has a financial incentive to get Silver Sneakers members to use its facilities, Imhoff said."

Old 11-17-2017, 03:20 PM

12,378 posts, read 21,956,136 times
Sounds like they only get $30/member if you go 1x or 30x.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
This article states that health clubs benefit from Silver Sneaker members, especially if they use the gym often.
Yes, I had seen that article, but it is 3 years old. Wondering if the reimbursement amount might have increased since then. Thanks though.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 14,000 times
Gyms are only reimbursed $3 per visit up to a maximum of $30 per month. If you do not go at all for a month, they do not get paid that month. If you go 1 time a month, they get paid $3 that month. If you go 5 times a month, they get paid $15 that month. If you go 8 times a month, they get paid $24 that month. You can go unlimited times and they still only get paid $30. That is a benefit to you.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,652 times
Default Silver Sneakers gym memberships

I spoke with my gym contacts (upper management) who offer this Silver Sneakers program at my gym in North Carolina. They essentially said that they are actually considering dropping the program and not offering it any longer due to the burden and low return on investment that gyms now get. They said it really is not that much of a benefit to the gym even though it is a great benefit to the senior who has a Silver Sneakers membership.

I am just glad that my gym still offers it as it does help out us seniors. My wife and I actually use our FREE Silver Sneakers gym membership at least 12 times per month, so in our case... it works for the gym to keep us as members and not cancel me due to non or infrequent visits. The gym management actually told me that more and more gyms are cancelling this program and are NOT accepting it any longer due to not making enough money from the members (usage) to justify offering it.

The gyms often times have more of a burden in offering a Silver Sneakers membership because the SS participant essentially gets the membership for free through their Medicare supplemented health insurance. The gym essentially subsidizes this program as well by accepting a discounted membership allowing these memberships on a pay per visit basis. If a gym offers too many discounted memberships like SS, they will not be able to stay in business. Apparently the gym does not get a fixed reimbursement from the insurance company each month for these SS memberships, but instead only gets about $3 per visit and capped at $30. Plus these gyms also have to pay an admin fee each month for these members to be on their gym roster whether the SS member uses the gym or not.

If the member on this Silver Sneakers program does not use the gym on a regular basis... the gym does not make enough money to justify having them on the gym roster. The gym would much rather they pay their standard rate, which is substantially higher than the amount they get from an average SS membership. Many gyms also limit the number of Silver Sneaker memberships they offer because if they get too many it overcrowds the gym with a bunch of seniors when regular paying members who pay substantially more cannot get on a machine and then they get mad at management. If you have a SS membership and your gym still takes it... be grateful and use it so it not only helps you, but the gym as well.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:36 AM

2,851 posts, read 906,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post

What do you consider things that would "make the facility more friendly for folks like" you? Are these things that would benefit everyone? If not, why is it only Silver Sneakers members that would benefit, as opposed to all older people who may use the gym? (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "folks like me" but really you could mean anything.)

Old 02-09-2020, 09:07 AM

5,430 posts, read 8,525,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
What do you consider things that would "make the facility more friendly for folks like" you? Are these things that would benefit everyone? If not, why is it only Silver Sneakers members that would benefit, as opposed to all older people who may use the gym? (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "folks like me" but really you could mean anything.)
If there are older people using the gym, but have not enrolled in the Silver Sneakers program, then they're not getting the benefit of a lower out-of-pocket expense. They're paying full price as those who are not senior citizens. Some of the exercises are tailored for certain medical or physical conditions, somewhat like a form of physical therapy. It depends on the needs of the individual. It's to try to improve you're overall health and strength, instead of just wasting away watching TV until you die and they're not quite sure what kind of exercises they should be doing. Maybe some people want to lose weight, or strengthen their muscles and cardiovascular system. Then too, some seniors might not be able to afford paying full price, meaning they might not go to the gym at all. In a way, it might be similar to people who go to certain restaurants and ask for a senior citizen discount. If you have the option to obtain a discount, why not take advantage of it? That said, just taking a brisk walk for 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day can be helpful without going to a gym, although that might not be an option or someone who has to get around with a cane or is confined to a wheelchair. In that case, maybe a gym is a better option. Not all Silver Sneakers programs are about walking on a treadmill. A trainer will help find the best exercises that are suitable for your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or