Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:15 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
January 1, I go on their regular "pre-65" retired employees rate. Which is much higher, but still less than the cost of an Obamacare plan.
There is no such thing as "an Obamacare plan." Obamacare = ACA, which is a health care reform law enacted in 2010. Do you mean the cost of a policy on your state exchange?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There is no such thing as "an Obamacare plan." Obamacare = ACA, which is a health care reform law enacted in 2010. Do you mean the cost of a policy on your state exchange?

You know exactly what I mean with the commonly used nickname I used.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:16 PM

282 posts, read 232,982 times
Quote:
You know exactly what I mean with the commonly used nickname I used.
No he doesn't, and neither do I. There are tons of different ACA Marketplace plans, spread across the country, based by state. Some of them are much more affordable than others, and in some cases you might not have to pay anything at all, if you fall under a certain income level.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times
Our same plan is going from $27 to $204. Yes, same plan with a subsidy both years.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
No he doesn't, and neither do I. There are tons of different ACA Marketplace plans, spread across the country, based by state. Some of them are much more affordable than others...
Exactly.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:15 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Just got statement in mail for my premium for 2018 and found out my health insurance is going to go up 15% next year. I already have a 2,000 deductible and 6,500 co-insurance pay, currently on an individual silver plan. Not sure what to do. Has anyone else received a nice surprise like this?
Mine went from $589 a month, going up to $793 a month in 2018. I switched to Blue Cross' Bronze Plan, which will take me to $665 but increase my deductibles and co-pays. Lest anyone think this is ACA, it's not, it's private market insurance that I pay for fully. But the uncertainty around the future of the ACA and the current admin's refusal to fund it fully (especially that) results in us paying that gap, because the insurance companies are still obligated to pay so they pass it on to us rather than the government. This is all to make people mad enough that we are willing to let them pass that monstrosity they tried to get through earlier in the year and kill the ACA once and for all. They don't care what they do to people in the meantime.

I am currently self-employed, but seriously considering going back to being a worker bee just to get health insurance.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:18 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
No he doesn't, and neither do I. There are tons of different ACA Marketplace plans, spread across the country, based by state. Some of them are much more affordable than others, and in some cases you might not have to pay anything at all, if you fall under a certain income level.
That has nothing to do with Obamacare being understood to be the same as ACA in our language. Now that word is like saying "give me a Kleenex" or "I need Scotch tape". Everyone knows you just mean a tissue, or tape.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you should look at gold or bronze plans. Hard to explain but the increases are tied into the silver plan in 2018. Trump unwittingly actually lowered the gold and bronze costs in 2018.
BS on what Tump did. More FAKE news.

MY gold plan went up 20%. $1100.00 deductable to $3,000.00 Doesn't cover me out of state. Or I should say the new gold plan I'm forced into as the one I'm on now is leaving the state. We have very limited options for helath care in NV. One company who now owns three, no competition.

It totally depends on your state.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:18 AM

1,203 posts, read 618,390 times
The most expensive plan in my county is actually a silver plan. For Wisconsin, the average increase for bronze and gold plans is 20% and for silver, 40%. Personally, I will be paying about $20 more. My plan changed all their plans for this year. I have a silver off marketplace plan. Its on marketplace twin is $75 more.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:00 AM

282 posts, read 232,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That has nothing to do with Obamacare being understood to be the same as ACA in our language. Now that word is like saying "give me a Kleenex" or "I need Scotch tape". Everyone knows you just mean a tissue, or tape.
You're right. It has nothing to do with Obamacare being understood to be the same as ACA. It DOES have everything to do with what Mike said, which is what we were responding to:

Quote:
January 1, I go on their regular "pre-65" retired employees rate. Which is much higher, but still less than the cost of an Obamacare plan.
Less than the cost of an Obamacare plan. No matter what you call it. If you call it an Obamacare plan, or an ACA plan, or a Lizzie's Insurance Plan, the point still stands.

His "regular "pre-65" retired employees rate" is not "less than the cost of an [insert plan name here] plan." The reason it isn't less, is because with subsidies to the insured person, some of these plans are FREE. You can't get less than free, unless they're paying Mike to be insured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance