U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 PM
Status: "Much too young to feel this damn old" (set 9 days ago)

2,228 posts, read 4,420,002 times

Advertisements

I have Medicare Part A, B and D coverage. I am scheduled for minor surgery that will be done on an outpatient basis, but kept overnight for observation. The hospital has a list of my regular prescription medications, and I assume they will want to administer them. Since I am not inpatient, Part A is not involved. Since Part B does not cover prescription drugs, how are these drugs covered? Do I get stuck with the bill? Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:16 AM

365 posts, read 179,401 times
My hospital always "admits" as inpatient for day surgeries, even when the expected outcome is for the patient to go home within hours of the procedure. Are you completely sure that your status will be "outpatient"?

Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM

4,756 posts, read 7,523,209 times
As with most things with Medicare, the "devil is in the details." Starting with what specific drugs are involved.

You could start to understand the issues by reading page 52 of the "Medicare and You " handbook at https://www.medicare.gov/pubs/pdf/10...re-and-You.pdf

Then follow its instruction to "Contact your prescription drug plan to find out what you pay for drugs
you get in a hospital outpatient setting that aren’t covered under Part B".

Old 11-28-2017, 06:32 AM

368 posts, read 437,416 times
This CMS article on outpatient hospital drugs should answer your questions.
https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11333.pdf

Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Status: "Much too young to feel this damn old" (set 9 days ago)

2,228 posts, read 4,420,002 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I had previously discussed this issue with the hospital and my Part D provider. Hospital confirmed my status will be outpatient. My Part D provider confirmed the hospital pharmacy is not a "preferred provider", so Part D coverage will reimburse only the price I pay to my preferred provider. Since many are generic, in most cases the reimbursement will be $0. It's pretty much a lose/lose situation and Medicare does not approve appeals for this situation.

For the record, I was finally able to talk with someone in the hospital business office who gave a damn. She confirmed the situation to be exactly how it is described by Medicare and my Part D provider. She also confirmed the cost of the drugs billed to me will be significantly higher than $0. The hospital also does not allow me to bring my own drugs. They will administer them, bill Medicare who will reject the self-administered drugs portion, and the hospital will bill me. She also told me if I would call her when that happens, they will excuse the charge, but only if I call and complain. In the long run, I guess that's the bottom-line answer I was looking for, but it seems to be a sad reflection of the state of health care in the US.

Thanks again for all the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or