Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 06:26 AM

45 posts, read 113,222 times

Advertisements

Hi. My boyfriend has a lot of health challenges which significantly impact his life. He gets CVS Caremark through his Blue Cross insurance. They routinely screw up his prescription, causing it to be delayed by weeks, sent incorrectly, or not sent at all. He goes through them because he is prescribed some drugs that cost several hundred dollars a month (each) and they are maybe 10% of what going to a pharmacy directly would cost. However, the amount of time and frustration he needs to spend dealing with them every time a prescription is screwed up (all while undergoing withdrawal) is maddening, not to mention that he needs to ask his doctor to repeatedly resend prescriptions to them.

My question is - who should he complain to? State AG? Another state or federal regulatory body? FTC?

CVS is merging with Aetna right now and it bothers me that they can get away with this mistreatment of vulnerable people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 AM

282 posts, read 232,756 times
I had the same problem with TeleMed for a year. They kept making the same excuses - they never got the faxes from the doctor, or they were waiting for the doctor to sign off on a controlled substance confirmation and couldn't release the rx until they got that confirmation. The doctor insisted that they sent the fax, or that she never received any request to sign off on the controlled substance.

Turned out, it really was the doctor's office that was screwing up. Several other patients who relied on TeleMed for prescriptions had complained. They fired the office clerk who was neglecting her job, and I haven't had any trouble at all with my prescriptions for the last two years.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:36 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
He might start here:

https://www.dhp.virginia.gov/Enforcement/complaints.htm

He should also complain to Blue Cross

and Caremark corporate https://www.caremark.com/wps/portal/CONTACT_CAREMARK

Last edited by reed303; 12-10-2017 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 12:49 PM

23,271 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Turned out, it really was the doctor's office that was screwing up. Several other patients who relied on TeleMed for prescriptions had complained. They fired the office clerk who was neglecting her job, and I haven't had any trouble at all with my prescriptions for the last two years.
I think AL is correct or at least on the right track here.

I also have prescriptions filled through CareMark because of my BCBS coverage and have for many years. Can't recall a single time they messed one up.

However, as the OP is dealing with meds that are probably a lot more tightly controlled and possibly are changing fairly frequently (or changing doctors more often too), it could add more complexity to the process. If he's having problems since starting to use the current MD, I would talk with them first. THEY are the start of the chain. If the pharmacy isn't getting understandable directions at the start, they can't fix it.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:20 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Hi. My boyfriend has a lot of health challenges which significantly impact his life. He gets CVS Caremark through his Blue Cross insurance. They routinely screw up his prescription, causing it to be delayed by weeks, sent incorrectly, or not sent at all. He goes through them because he is prescribed some drugs that cost several hundred dollars a month (each) and they are maybe 10% of what going to a pharmacy directly would cost. However, the amount of time and frustration he needs to spend dealing with them every time a prescription is screwed up (all while undergoing withdrawal) is maddening, not to mention that he needs to ask his doctor to repeatedly resend prescriptions to them.

My question is - who should he complain to? State AG? Another state or federal regulatory body? FTC?

CVS is merging with Aetna right now and it bothers me that they can get away with this mistreatment of vulnerable people.
Elbows, if you find an answer would you please drop me a line here. I've about had all of Caremark I can stand. Prescriptions filled wrong, over charged twice in the last month, and the last straw this morning. Hubby and I are leaving for three weeks out of the country. They won't refill husband's diabetic supplies until the day AFTER we leave. And they will NOT give us a vacation override. It's either pay full price of almost 800.00 or go without
because Caremark will not fill it 12 hours earlier for us to leave.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:03 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
Sometimes I think this a more local thing, versus CVS Caremark as a whole.

I am also forced to use them. Between my thyroid medication and my son's asthma medication, we have a lot of maintenance meds that are of the 90-day supply type. I no longer use their mail order because it just took too long. And now that they let you do the maintenance meds at one of their pharmacies, that's all I do. And it has been flawless. I have not had ONE issue in several years. It could be that the particular pharmacy is just very good. I find them to be very aggressive with refills and notifications, so much so that I always so "Oh, that's the CVS mafia calling again..." but actually it's nice that they are so on top of it because it gets to be too much for me at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance