Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I am seeing a hospital social worker this week, and I will ask what she thinks. But Ii wonder if there is a government agency I can call. I spoke to Medicare and the rep gave me information, but Medicare is not Medicaid.
There should be a local area Council on Aging or some equivalent organization in your location that can give you information and perhaps walk you through the process. I'd try an internet search, ( try "council on aging", "elderly services", or something similar.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
You do make too much but you can shield the money using a disability trust. Look into it since the Medicaid social worker isn't going to tell you about it but they will tell you if you mention it.
It's a lifesaver.
A disability trust is for beneficiaries that are deemed disabled.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Usually you have to spend down your savings, sell off assets, then the facility charges what they charge and uses part or all of Medicare benefit you get monthly and what ever other income you receive then medicaid kicks in when you short paying for the monthly facility fees. You will get a monthly stipend for personal expenses. There is protection for the spouse that is not in a facility yet, it's complicated and best to consult a elder attorney.

A friend of my moms husband is in a nursing home and the elder attorney had her take everything out of husbands name, deed of home, summer camper/association they own a part in, car, bank accounts, everything, so he would qualify for medicaid aid, or something.. But it can be complicated and some people, maybe not with spouse, but their children can get in big trouble with transferring assets out of a persons control who then qualifies for medicaid. They call it a "look back" and go back 7 years or so regarding asset transfers. People get sued by the government to get back money and assets if they end up on medicaid and assets disappeared.
It seems so unfair, but yes, just transferring everything into someone else's name will not help a bit unless, like you say it is done 7 years prior to the need for long term care. I know a lot of people have long term care insurance, but it only covers a small part of the actually cost involved.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:35 PM

24 posts, read 40,188 times
If he's a Veteran, look into The Aid And Attendance program. The VA will help with monthly expenses.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
You do make too much but you can shield the money using a disability trust. Look into it since the Medicaid social worker isn't going to tell you about it but they will tell you if you mention it.
It's a lifesaver.
Thank you, I certainly will do that. I spoke to an elder law attorney today and she told me that I should have been preparing five years ago, but I am not clever that way since I was going through so much anyway five years ago. (Oh well.) She also said it is not an emergency right now, and I haven't even started filing for Medicaid. But I should see her anyway. The best I understand right now is that if my husband needs assisted living or something like that, they will leave me with spousal income. I will look up about disability trust and mention it to her when I see her.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmecso View Post
If he's a Veteran, look into The Aid And Attendance program. The VA will help with monthly expenses.
I don't know if we make so much money each year. But I will check.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Cindi,

I'd estimate that at least 70% of the info provided in this thread is incorrect. If you want a little more information that might help you prepare for your meeting with the attorney, try posting on the Caregivers Forum. There are a few regulars on that forum that are familiar with the Medicaid eligibility rules as well as the Aid and Attendance benefit.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:33 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Not exactly true, if you're over retirement age and a dr declares you disabled for health/competency reasons, ssa will give you a disability determination that isn't for benefits but a trust can still be established.
The 95 year old lady I cared for got one. I've advised several people about them and they've been set up.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Lenora's post is correct. (Old medical social worker here). None of what is stated is correct. And Aid and Attendance is not that easy to get and there are asset limits for that too. Get advice from someone in the profession.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I look it up and realized it was way beyond me. Unless I declare myself disabled, which I might be able to do, but I think the criteria is more than being a nervous wreck and having a bad leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance