Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 AM

512 posts, read 321,478 times

Advertisements

Allow me to explain before you start judging me ( ): I have tried searching online for answers, but there is so much info out there that it is disconcerting and confusing as to what exactly is accurate or not. I figured that maybe here someone might possibly know (or know where to look).

Employers who offer health insurance are tipically obligated to offer mandatory insurance, correct? Meaning, it's not an optional thing; if you start working for X company, you HAVE to enroll in their health insurance plan and pay their fees (which they will take out of your paycheck), correct?

Also...has this always been like that, or did this start with Obama care?

Did Trump really succeed in undoing Obamacare's mandated insurance thing?

How was employment-related health insurance before Obamacare? Was it optional or not?

Regardless of any kind of political ideology, I ask because I am really interested in searching for potential employers that don't force me to pay for health insurance. Please don't attack me or judge me; I know all the benefits of having health insurance and I know all arguments (heard them all).

If anyone knows, I'd truly appreciate to know about how all of this works.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
I don't know that any jobs force insurance on you. You can opt in or not. When my ex-wife was in the military I had no need for insurance and always opted out. I even worked for a company that put an extra $35 in each paycheck since I opted out.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:28 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I don't know that any jobs force insurance on you. You can opt in or not. When my ex-wife was in the military I had no need for insurance and always opted out. I even worked for a company that put an extra $35 in each paycheck since I opted out.
... as is the case, for example, with the state of Florida. In my experience, if an employer's insurance automatically covers it's employees, it is considered a benefit of the job. However, if an employee must contribute to the cost, consent is generally required. (Obamacare/ACA seems to be the exception).

Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Per Diem jobs don't. Temp jobs don't. Independent Contractor jobs don't.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
No, they don't all force, and it's always been that way. My first job with medical benefits was in 1975, and there, like where I work now there are several plans offered. None have required the employee to participate. Most who don't are covered under their spouse's plan so don't need it. Since Obamacare the change for us is that it's become much less expensive to separate. My wife and I are covered under our own employer plans, because the cost to add one of us to the other's plan has become much more expensive. We do still cover each other for dental, however. The cost is very low and we get doubled annual maximums.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:28 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My wife and I are covered under our own employer plans, because the cost to add one of us to the other's plan has become much more expensive.
As a corollary to this, I do know there are employers that will not cover spouses/dependents, regardless of cost, if they are are benefit eligible for their own plan through their respective employer. Each year, we have to do an affidavit for my husband's employer confirming I'm not working and therefore don't have coverage through an employer. I think such requirements are fairly common.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 01-08-2018 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 11:08 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
As an employer, you can refuse employer sponsored group health insurance.

Employers who provide employer sponsored group health insurance are required to make that insurance available to all, which is not the same as making it mandatory for all. You have the option of getting your own insurance coverage, attaching to someone else insurance, or say the heck with it.

Employers can establish a mandatory insurance program but they are required to pay 100% of the cost or have it as a contractual requirement of employment. Otherwise, I can not force you to take the insurance if you don't want it. I will require you to sign a specific legal statement of refusal.

Mandatory insurance opt out has been part of employer sponsored group health insurance and is not now or ever a forced item. The ACA did not change that. What the ACA did change was the affordability factor which means the less employees participating, the potential for high premiums which could exceed ACA guidelines. This means some employers will try a convince you that you need to take the insurance. Of course, opting out just for the sake of opting out and not being covered is one of those things that calls into question a person sensible judgement. One report seems to indicate that people opting out for the sake of opting out, tend to find themselves getting opt out by the employer. I have to admit, it probably would make me wonder about an employee if they decided to go it alone without insurance.

Prior to the ACA, employer sponsored group health insurance for fully funded plans was outrageously expensive (business were complaining about rising health insurance cost way before the ACA), since the ACA, the cost has stabilized or dropped.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
OP, have you ever had a job? These are basic questions that an employed person would already understand. Nobody is required to enroll in their employer's medical plan. You can decline coverage. That was true before and after the ACA.

The mandate is a bit different. You can still decline all coverage. There was just a penalty since your illness would fall on taxpayers should you get sick without any coverage.

The only change now is the mandate is being removed. So, no penalty if you decline coverage.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:28 AM

512 posts, read 321,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, have you ever had a job? These are basic questions that an employed person would already understand. Nobody is required to enroll in their employer's medical plan. You can decline coverage. That was true before and after the ACA.

The mandate is a bit different. You can still decline all coverage. There was just a penalty since your illness would fall on taxpayers should you get sick without any coverage.

The only change now is the mandate is being removed. So, no penalty if you decline coverage.
Yes, I have definitely been employed in the past.
The thing is that it has been decades (honestly) since I was employed by any one company (I have been my own boss for quite a while), and to be honest, I seriously forgot how all of that worked.

Thanks, y'all, for all the info.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Employers who offer health insurance are tipically obligated to offer mandatory insurance, correct? Meaning, it's not an optional thing...
One of our kids declined her employer's health insurance and obtained her own. Not the first person I've heard of doing this.

Quote:
Did Trump really succeed in undoing Obamacare's mandated insurance thing?
The insurance mandate is effective through the end of 2018. (And that could change after the 2018 elections.)

Quote:
How was employment-related health insurance before Obamacare? Was it optional or not?
It is and always was part of a benefits package. Before the ACA, many people obtained jobs or stayed in jobs because the job offered health insurance as part of the package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance