Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 PM

6,352 posts, read 4,131,046 times

Advertisements

I cannot find a clear cut answer as to how much income, if any, you are allowed to earn each month while receiving disability benefits. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 02:29 PM

15,410 posts, read 25,734,460 times
I don't know what current amount is, but be careful how you earn it. That could be evidence that you are not disabled according to them. It's not just te amount that is a concern. Search "Substantial gainful activity" for your answer.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't know what current amount is, but be careful how you earn it. That could be evidence that you are not disabled according to them. It's not just te amount that is a concern. Search "Substantial gainful activity" for your answer.
I looked further into this and it appears the limit you can earn while receiving disability is $1170 per month and an increased rate for those who are blind and receiving disability benefits.

Apparently the SS department realizes that not all people could live on disability benefits alone.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,071,791 times
Quote:
I agree. It is very tricky. If you are not disabled enough that you can hold a job and earn that money then the government may feel that you are not disabled enough to be considered disabled under SSD.

Be very careful.

And, it also depends on what type of disability benefits you receive. My late husband received private disability benefits and every year his doctor needed to fill out forms saying that he continued to be disabled and unable to work, as well as listing details about his health history for that year. He/we also had to fill out a five page form about his health and why he was unable to work that year.

In addition, we also had a representative come to our house, unannounced, and make a spot check to make sure that he was telling the truth about his disability. Apparently the company does random periodic checks on everyone who is receiving disability payments from them.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-06-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 07:39 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,032,080 times
Read through this and see what pertains to your situation-

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf

Best to talk to your SSA case manager if you have questions.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 AM

15,410 posts, read 25,734,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. It is very tricky. If you are not disabled enough that you can hold a job and earn that money then the government may feel that you are not disabled enough to be considered disabled under SSD.

Be very careful.

And, it also depends on what type of disability benefits you receive. My late husband received private disability benefits and every year his doctor needed to fill out forms saying that he continued to be disabled and unable to work, as well as listing details about his health history for that year. He/we also had to fill out a five page form about his health and why he was unable to work that year.

In addition, we also had a representative come to our house, unannounced, and make a spot check to make sure that he was telling the truth about his disability. Apparently the company does random periodic checks on everyone who is receiving disability payments from them.
I have never been spot checked, as far as I know. I believe that that is done only to those that they are not 100% sure are really disabled. I'm sure they could have secretly spot checked me, but I'm not sure that they do that. I could be wrong though. I know that they review your case every once in a while. My next review is in 2021. That is about 7 years after the last one.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,032,080 times
Quote:
I have never been spot checked, as far as I know. I believe that that is done only to those that they are not 100% sure are really disabled. I'm sure they could have secretly spot checked me, but I'm not sure that they do that. I could be wrong though. I know that they review your case every once in a while. My next review is in 2021. That is about 7 years after the last one.
I think the "spot checking" might be a product of the "private disability" situation.

SSA does do periodic reviews of disability cases but they contact you to get updated med/psych info. to determine that your condition has not been resolved.
It is not done secretly.

Remember that the definition of disability for SS purposes is that the condition must result in significant interference of your ability to perform the activities of daily living, be expected to last at least a year or result in death.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Not sure if a review would be considered if tbe disability was based on breast cancer that spread to a different area. The question is what is allowed as income when on disability and from what I have been able to read, I believe it’s $1170 per month.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:02 PM

5,313 posts, read 5,989,781 times
It's complicated. For 2018, $850/month (non-blind beneficiary) will trigger a Trial Work Period.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/twp.html

Old 02-06-2018, 06:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,215,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I looked further into this and it appears the limit you can earn while receiving disability is $1170 per month and an increased rate for those who are blind and receiving disability benefits.

Apparently the SS department realizes that not all people could live on disability benefits alone.
I'm not sure, but that may be determined by where you live. If it is the OP lives in a similar place to myself. Its very close to my base dollar social security amount.

State programs can add to that but that amount would be determined by the state's income base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance