Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 01:12 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,480,717 times

Advertisements

I went to the ER in early January of this year. UHC paid 2 providers:

1) the hospital - Amount billed was $1807, UHC paid $960, I paid $125

2) the ER Physician Service - Amount billed $1006, UHC paid $653, I paid 0

I got an acknowledgement letter on Friday from United Health Care saying the the ER Physician Service sent a letter on my behalf to the UHC Central Escalation Unit. I called UHC today to find out what this is all about and the CSR wasn't very helpful or I didn't understand her. She said that the ER Service is requesting payment in full so they appealed? Is this normal procedure? The CSR told me to not worry about this since I don't own anything.

That doesn't make me feel comfortable. I had a dentist send something to collections (20 years ago ) that I didn't know about until I went to buy a house 15 years ago. Will I ultimately find something like this from this situation, or is this just not something I need to concern myself with?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 03:44 PM

511 posts, read 491,153 times
The appeals process shouldn’t affect you.
However, keep an eye out for a balance bill after the appeal is denied.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
However, keep an eye out for a balance bill after the appeal is denied.
Can they do that if they are in network?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

Sometimes the ER physicians aren't in the network, even though they are working at a hospital that is in. There has been a lot of controversy about this.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:39 AM

511 posts, read 491,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Probably not but I wonder if they’re actually in network.
When the payor says the filed an appeal on YOUR behalf...it sends up a red flag.
That sounds to me like they’re “doing you a favor” before hitting you with the bill.
If they are in network, I think you should be OK.
Definitely keep an eye on the process.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
Did they actually say "on your behalf" or was it more like in regards to you?

Old 05-15-2018, 04:07 PM

Here's what I got from UHC:

Dear Member or Provider:

You are not required to respond to this letter. This is an acknowledgement that we received a letter sent in your behalf in the UnitedHealthcare Central Escalation Unit. If your request qualifies for an appeal, grievance or complaint, we will complete our review and send you a letter about the decision within the required timeframe consistent with pertinent state or federal regulatory requirements. All other requests will be handled as normal course of business.

We want to make decisions about our customer's requests on complete information. If, however, you, or a representative has any information that might help us in our review of this request, please fax it to 999-999-9999 or send the information as soon as possible to: 2 addresses provided, 1 for providers, 1 for members.

I looked this provider up on my account on the UnitedHealthcare website. They show in network for the hospital address in Miami where I went. They have a 2nd location, an address in Ft. Lauderdale that shows both in-network and out-of-network on the same webpage. LOL

This is the first I've heard that the ER Service is appealing anything.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
Humm, based on the letter, it is a bit confusing since you never asked for anything. The next step is to contact provider that initiated the action and ask them whats up. They are the ones who initiated this so only they can explain to you the why and what.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 AM

768 posts, read 857,814 times
Used to work for an ER Physicians service who staffed many hospitals in the Chicago area. They are billing on THEIR behalf. They would like your insurance company to pay more. Hope you realize that every time you step into an ER staffed by an outside physician service, that the actual ER doc gets reimbursed based on the contract and may times he/she is paid a portion of what they bill for you. So, they order all those tests you may not need because it is more lucrative for them. Unless you are severely sick or injured...better to see the primary physician than go to an ER unless you have lots of $$$.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 AM

Thanks everyone for the answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Humm, based on the letter, it is a bit confusing since you never asked for anything. The next step is to contact provider that initiated the action and ask them whats up. They are the ones who initiated this so only they can explain to you the why and what.
I printed everything out and will just keep the paperwork until/if this comes back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Used to work for an ER Physicians service who staffed many hospitals in the Chicago area. They are billing on THEIR behalf. They would like your insurance company to pay more. Hope you realize that every time you step into an ER staffed by an outside physician service, that the actual ER doc gets reimbursed based on the contract and may times he/she is paid a portion of what they bill for you. So, they order all those tests you may not need because it is more lucrative for them. Unless you are severely sick or injured...better to see the primary physician than go to an ER unless you have lots of $$$.
I had been to urgent care and was not getting better so they said to go to the ER. So the ER service got $653 from UHC for the approximately 10 minutes the doctor spent with me. How much of that does the actual doctor see?

And how do I know that the ER is staffed by an outside service? Do I have to find this out before going or having an accident? Can I tell the ambulance driver to go to a hospital staffed by ER doctors that are onsite vs. an outside service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance