Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 10:55 AM

401 posts, read 528,365 times

Advertisements

Have been waiting for years for NC to expand Medicaid. Thought I might have to move to Virginia if they ever got around to it. Today they came out (American Cancer Society) saying to start colonoscopy screenings at 45 instead of 50.

I lost my health insurance 6 months ago after exhausting my life savings on the premiums for 10 years from 2008 to 2018. During that time, I could never see a doctor for anything anyway and the only time I went was for the free annual exam since I couldn't afford anything else.

I have been researching what state to move to for expanded Medicaid, but it is so expensive to move that far from NC. I feel like I will either die from something preventable like colon cancer - since I can't get screened with no insurance - or I'll end up in an ER and have to file for bankruptcy. What a totally insane healthcare system this country has.

You people who live in states that have expanded Medicaid have no idea how lucky you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 12:26 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
You people who live in states that have expanded Medicaid have no idea how lucky you are.
We are not lucky, we just use the power of the VOTE.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:15 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Have been waiting for years for NC to expand Medicaid. Thought I might have to move to Virginia if they ever got around to it. Today they came out (American Cancer Society) saying to start colonoscopy screenings at 45 instead of 50.

I lost my health insurance 6 months ago after exhausting my life savings on the premiums for 10 years from 2008 to 2018. During that time, I could never see a doctor for anything anyway and the only time I went was for the free annual exam since I couldn't afford anything else.

I have been researching what state to move to for expanded Medicaid, but it is so expensive to move that far from NC. I feel like I will either die from something preventable like colon cancer - since I can't get screened with no insurance - or I'll end up in an ER and have to file for bankruptcy. What a totally insane healthcare system this country has.

No need to freak yourself out!!! guidelines and "recommendations" change ALL the time and who's to say you would have whatever tests, etc. done anyway? - I'd concentrate on find a job w/insurance and not thinking you are at risk of dying.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:50 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Virginia news: https://wtop.com/virginia/2018/05/va...pand-medicaid/

Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
We are not lucky, we just use the power of the VOTE.
And we have fostered an environment in which we pay more in taxes to help our fellow residents. Residents of states that pride themselves on paying as little as possible in taxes get what they pay for whether it be for help with healthcare or education.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:17 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintItBlack79 View Post
Bahahahahahahahaha

Way easier said than done. My last two jobs were as a contractor. Most of the people I know work as contractors. That way companies don't have to bother with insurance.

My SO closed up his construction business and moved here to FL (no Medicaid expansion). He refuses to start another business, despite the building boom here, because the open market is about to collapse thanks to the Trump administration, and he doesn't want to not be able to get health insurance with 5 years before he's eligible for regular Medicaid.

So ... instead of employing people and enjoying what he's doing, he's working nights at Home Depot, which he HATES, for $11 an hour just to get health insurance.

Everyone over age 50 that he works with is doing same.

Yeah. Welcome to America.
Funny, I am over 50 and am still currently running my sole proprietor business and will probably go for a subsidy next year. Just keep your income below subsidy level and Obamacare works great. No offense but it does not sound like your SO is an astute businessman if he is settling for $11 an hour instead of running a profitable tradesman business and using appropriate write offs such as retirement plan, vehicles, computers etc. to qualify for a subsidy where you don't have to pay more than 9.5% of your salary for insurance. Plus whatever leftover premium he needs to pay is deductible as well.
BTW there is still no preexisting condition clause for ACA plans so he need not worry about being denied for coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance