Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times

Advertisements

Okay, silly question but I can't find the answer anywhere re: Medicare specifically.

Does anyone know whether the annual Part B deductible is based on the date of service or the date the claim was processed by Medicare?

For the first time I'm going to have a doctor visit in late December (the 26th, actually) and am wondering which deductible Medicare is going to apply to it (the 2018 one, which I've already satisfied for this year; or the "re-set" 2019 one.)

Normal insurance companies typically go by date of service but as we all know, the US government isn't exactly normal, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Does anyone know whether the annual Part B deductible is based on the date of service or the date the claim was processed by Medicare?
No worries, Part B deductible applies to calendar year in which service took place. Therefore, your answer is - date of service.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:18 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Thanks, Ariadne. :-) I had google'd, and came across a couple of links that suggested it was by "date processed". Such as this one:

"The Medicare Part B deductible is applied on a basis of first claim received, first claim applied to the deductible. This means that when the new year starts Medicare will apply your first claim or claims received to your deductible until the full deductible has been satisfied."

and

"The Part B annual deductible is applied to incurred expenses in the order in which claims for those expenses are processed by the Medicare program."

Nothing that I could find online addressed the specific situation of an expense incurred in one year but not received/processed by Medicare until the next. I guess everyone assumes that it's always date-of-service.

A little Googling can be a dangerous thing, LOL

Old 10-13-2018, 05:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I was about to ask a similar question as I have a Hi-D supplement and want several upcoming procedures to come under this years allowance since I've already absorbed the deductible amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance