Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:11 AM

439 posts, read 419,890 times

Advertisements

I wonder when more info will become available with Aetna CVS merger. We are not keeping Humana Walmart because of the huge price jump. It doesn't make sense.

I am frustrated with the fact that I take 2 generic meds routinely that cost a few dollars without a plan. But, we are forced into buying PART D with risk of penalty of higher prices later. Two times in the past year I needed one time prescriptions and both were lower with Good Rx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 AM

2,361 posts, read 4,846,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
I wonder when more info will become available with Aetna CVS merger. We are not keeping Humana Walmart because of the huge price jump. It doesn't make sense.

I am frustrated with the fact that I take 2 generic meds routinely that cost a few dollars without a plan. But, we are forced into buying PART D with risk of penalty of higher prices later. Two times in the past year I needed one time prescriptions and both were lower with Good Rx.
I totally agree! Neither one of us actually benefits, but it is like any other insurance. You hate to pay for it but if you need it you are glad that it is there.

I do like that I can check out the difference in prices between the pharmacies on the site. I did find out that with either Well Care or Aetna our co-pay pricing will actually go down if we switch to CVS which is a preferred pharmacy for both. DH had been paying $5 each for his Tier 1 generics at WalMart and now they would be free. I had been paying $28 for my Tier 2 generic at WalMart and, at least with Aetna, it would go down to $2.27. Well Care however would be $22. Aetna is $3 more per month than Well Care but I guess that would be recovered with my lower co-pay on my generic. Unfortunately I had Aetna as my ACA Silver plan for 6 months last year and they were a horror to deal with. But I guess the Medicare stuff is easier.

I am currently out to find out if I can get the Shingrix paid for. We both want to get it but at a total of $320 per person that is way pricey. Somehow some people are getting it paid for but every time I ask I am told that it would cost each of us $160 per dose to get it. But of course now it is almost impossible to find unless you go on a wait list.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,526,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post

I am currently out to find out if I can get the Shingrix paid for. We both want to get it but at a total of $320 per person that is way pricey. Somehow some people are getting it paid for but every time I ask I am told that it would cost each of us $160 per dose to get it. But of course now it is almost impossible to find unless you go on a wait list.
The Shingrix shots come under Medicare part d. Under Well Care in 2019 using CVS the shot is considered a tier 3 drug. You have to meet the $415 deductible first before you share the cost of a tier 3 drug.

The Humana Walmart RX plan considers it a tier 4 drug.

So, if you have already met your part D deductible for the year some part of the cost may be covered.

Another way to look at it, if you are taking other drugs that require you meet your deductible , the Shingrix shots will help you reach your deductible for the year much quicker.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:06 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,822,064 times
We have Caremark/CVS for Prescription D plan. We paid $43. for each Shingrex shot for a total of $86.00 for both shots required. I have heard of some paying $160. for each shot ! Feel
lucky !

Old 10-17-2018, 12:32 PM

60 posts, read 51,240 times
After having the Humana Walmart plan for the last two years, we are switching too. Premium increased quite a bit for us. I check the comparison tool on the Medicare website every year anyway, and this year there was a dramatic change for our situation.

My husband must take several very expensive Tier 4 and Tier 5 drugs. Two years ago, we were into catastrophic coverage by April. This past year, the drugs have finally gone generic. This did help, but not as much as I had hoped. We did not hit catastrophic coverage level, as the even the generic prices were still quite high.

This year the tool showed SilverScripts to be the most cost effective by a long shot. So much so I didn't believe it. The drug prices were very reasonable, but only at CVS. That is definitely not a problem for us, as we use CVS anyway.

I did a little more research and noted that SilverScripts and CVS are both Caremark companies, so this may have a lot to do with the preferred pricing. Not quite believing the rates, I checked the CMS tool prices against those published on the SilverScripts website, and they do match. Only $100 deductible too!

We had a no-brainer choice this year, no one else was even close. Now we will see if that actually plays out.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
The Shingrix shots come under Medicare part d. Under Well Care in 2019 using CVS the shot is considered a tier 3 drug. You have to meet the $415 deductible first before you share the cost of a tier 3 drug.

The Humana Walmart RX plan considers it a tier 4 drug.

So, if you have already met your part D deductible for the year some part of the cost may be covered.

Another way to look at it, if you are taking other drugs that require you meet your deductible , the Shingrix shots will help you reach your deductible for the year much quicker.
Ahhh…..Thanks Mary, I guess that makes sense. Didn't think about the deductible. Although the pharmacist at Rite Aid swore up and down that all companies paid for it. Our generics are so cheap that we never come near the deductible. DH paid about $40 this year and I paid about $100 for my generic plus a bit for the stuff I got after my surgeries, which again was cheap generics. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay for it because I am probably at more risk for shingles because I had chicken pox. Not sure DH did. I remember when our daughter got them he had to stay away from her for the duration.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady400 View Post
After having the Humana Walmart plan for the last two years, we are switching too. Premium increased quite a bit for us. I check the comparison tool on the Medicare website every year anyway, and this year there was a dramatic change for our situation.
It seems a lot of people will be leaving them. Wonder if that will make them sit up and take notice? Nah, I doubt it. They just don't really care about us seniors.

I am curious to see what will happen after the CVS/Aetna merger. Apparently as part of the agreement Aetna has to divest themselves of their Part D business, which they are selling to Well Care. But yet I am seeing two different pricing structures for Aetna and Well Care on the Medicare website. Wonder if you sign up under Aetna, which overall is cheaper for us, if you will be forced into Well Care with a pricing structure change in mid-stream?

Old 10-19-2018, 10:35 AM

2,650 posts, read 2,143,615 times
I will leave the Humana Walmart plan also. I was thinking of leaving before the increase. I am tired of the BS I have to put up with Walmart each time I get a prescription filled. I caught them one time taking an OTC drug off their shelf, put their label on it and then charged me more for it.

Right now I am leaning toward Wellcare.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:10 AM

105,740 posts, read 107,717,837 times
i switched from humana part d to aetna part d with a big difference .

i was paying 13 dollars for 3 months of a statin . now it is 3 bucks .

my wife and i had the same prescription for the same antibiotic , she paid .82 cents with aetna and i paid 7 bucks with humana . so i switched and will have aetna part d as of jan .

Old 10-21-2018, 12:10 PM

54 posts, read 57,433 times
I live in Oregon and my Humana is going from $20.40 to $26.40. But I'm staying with them because of the ease of use for renewing my mail order pills. Also, I've had other drug plan companies that were very poor. Human is very easy to use with no mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance