U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 02:24 PM

4,154 posts, read 1,539,519 times

Advertisements

Currently I have a supplemental plan with CSI and the premiums have increased this year to about $165 per month. My insurance rep is advising I go with Trivent for Lutherans out of Florida which will result in a $50 per month savings. My question is would I be better off with one of the main providers like United Health Care?

Is there any benefit to a larger company in the event I develope a health problem at a later date and Trivent is no longer around and then the new insurer will see from my answers on the health form that I am a higher risk applicant, will I have to pay a higher rate?

Last edited by Rickcin; 11-07-2018 at 02:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 02:35 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,374,858 times
Best secondary, aka supplement, my patients have is AARP.
Just saying.
Otherwise, you really want to go through every single letter in any insurance company book. You may save $50/month, $600 year but end up with 20% co insurance on large ticket items.
Unfortunately, this is the reality of life. I have many patients, being Orthotist/Prosthetist, that burn themselves this way, as we are in the insurance book very far end and tiny print, and no one really reads all that.
A broker is a broker. You are the judge to YOUR welfare. Or, should be.

I have a patient, bless his heart, he purchased AARP just to obtain a computerized above the knee prosthesis. Or, end up with $12K coinsurance.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM

2,278 posts, read 997,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just saying.
Otherwise, you really want to go through every single letter in any insurance company book. You may save $50/month, $600 year but end up with 20% co insurance on large ticket items.
Unfortunately, this is the reality of life. I have many patients, being Orthotist/Prosthetist, that burn themselves this way, as we are in the insurance book very far end and tiny print, and no one really reads all that.

I have a patient, bless his heart, he purchased AARP just to obtain a computerized above the knee prosthesis. Or, end up with $12K coinsurance.
My wife and I got the best AARP/United Healthcare available. Yeah, it costs but, in retrospect, that cost is nothing compared to what we would have paid as our share, just since we retired in 2012, for the two breast cancer surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, one rotator cuff surgery, one spinal surgery and one bat exposure treatment (don’t laugh, $26,000 for the both of us). The ONLY thing we paid for out of all that mess was for two oddball slings for my wife, one following the first breast cancer surgery and one for the rotator cuff.

Things start catching up with you as you get older and that 20% can just kill you financially.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just saying.

That is United Healthcare that is offered through AARP. I guess I should consider them especially since they are perhaps the largest provider but not easy to compare different providers apples to apples. It’s always unknown what medical conditions any of us will experience in the future. Not an easy choice.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM

30 posts, read 24,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
That is United Healthcare that is offered through AARP. I guess I should consider them especially since they are perhaps the largest provider but not easy to compare different providers apples to apples. It’s always unknown what medical conditions any of us will experience in the future. Not an easy choice.

It doesn't matter who the provider is..AARP/UHC medigap plans F,G,N, etc. coverage is exactly the same as Aetna's F,G,N, etc. Medigap insurers have no control over this...Medicare pays, they pay. Only differences are the premiums, customer service, and how they rate their premiums, age-attained or issue-age, etc. Even if the one you choose eliminates their plan you are guaranteed to be able to get another plan(A,B,C,F,K,L...G after 2020) without underwriting.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb7 View Post
It doesn't matter who the provider is..AARP/UHC medigap plans F,G,N, etc. coverage is exactly the same as Aetna's F,G,N, etc. Medigap insurers have no control over this...Medicare pays, they pay. Only differences are the premiums, customer service, and how they rate their premiums, age-attained or issue-age, etc. Even if the one you choose eliminates their plan you are guaranteed to be able to get another plan(A,B,C,F,K,L...G after 2020) without underwriting.

Ok, sounds good and that is what I previously thought. It seems that Trivent for Lutherans has a great rate and is a highly rated company, but I’m always skeptical!

My concern, if my health condition changes in the future, does that become a cost factor when searching for a new provider, if need be? ( if you follow what I’m asking )

Old 11-07-2018, 08:16 PM

23,562 posts, read 50,172,798 times
Quote:
Ok, sounds good and that is what I previously thought. It seems that Trivent for Lutherans has a great rate and is a highly rated company, but I’m always skeptical!

My concern, if my health condition changes in the future, does that become a cost factor when searching for a new provider, if need be? ( if you follow what I’m asking )
Once you're insured, your health has no effect whatsoever on the premium, although your health could affect the premium at the time you buy. If your current insurer goes out of business, you have guaranteed rights to purchase, outlined here - no health underwriting:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...otections.aspx

We've had endless discussions on this forum on the issue of Medicare supplements and differences. In the end, cheapest is not always best. If you expect to live a long time, depending on your age, you choose either an issue-age policy or community rated policy both of which control price increases. Otherwise, when you're 85 or 90, with an attained-age policy, the premium will most likely be unaffordable - and your health may preclude you switching to a lower-priced carrier - unless you are in a guaranteed issue state - or your current insurer goes out of business.

The issue - in the end is - pricing. Read how insurance companies price their policies, here:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...-policies.aspx

Most here choose the AARP UHC because of its community rating. After age 77, rates go up only because of inflation in medical costs for the entire risk pool, not because of your age. It may be priced slightly higher at first to compensate for the community rating, but after age 77 most attained-age policies outpace UHC.

If you're still fairly young, you may over time find the issue-age policy best.

So, is the Thrivent Policy an issue-age policy? How old are you? How does this compare with the AARP UHC policy - you can get the rate, here:

https://www.uhcmedicaresolutions.com...ent-plans.html

If you have health issues, UHC may charge its level 2 rate instead of issuing an outright denial.

With UHC, you can expect about at least a 7% price increase until age 77 (4% medical, 3% age). With an issue-age policy the base rate is fixed to which is added medical cost inflation of, right now, about 4% annually. With attained-age policies, which Medicare.gov says Thrivent offers, expect 7% increases until 85. Thereafter, if Thrivent uses age 85 as a cap in VA as it does in WI, increases are for medical cost inflation only.

This should interest you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
[re issue-age policies]compared to a true community-rated plan, it is usually a wash. Since UHC inflates the community premium to offset early year discounts, the advantage shifts to the issue-age plan if only considering after age 77.

Inflation impacts all plans, including community-rated plans. Effective 1/1/19, UHC will have an average increase of 4.3% across all plans with a range from -6% decrease to 15% increase.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-07-2018 at 08:45 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 12:06 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,495,128 times
Here is another endorsement for AARP/United Health Care plan G. For one thing they are about the only company with community pricing instead of age attained etc.
They have been super, no issues, and my husband and I have a lot of health problems.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Here is another endorsement for AARP/United Health Care plan G. For one thing they are about the only company with community pricing instead of age attained etc.
They have been super, no issues, and my husband and I have a lot of health problems.

Basically that is my dilemma, since I’m 68 and healthy should I go with a less expensive provider When in the future I could sign up with UHC? Or, is there an advantage to start in with UHC at this point in time?

Seems like there is no simple answer.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:18 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,495,128 times
Quote:
Basically that is my dilemma, since I’m 68 and healthy should I go with a less expensive provider When in the future I could sign up with UHC? Or, is there an advantage to start in with UHC at this point in time?

Seems like there is no simple answer.
To me it is better to go with UHC right from the start. Who's to say that you won't suddenly need the better insurance. No guarantees that you will just slowly go downhill in time to say ok guess I should switch now. also you are only sure of not needing underwriting if you join within a guarantee period, such as the 6 months surrounding your 65th birthday, or if you are in a state with guaranteed coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance