Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times

Advertisements

I am on medicare so I can get medical care wherever I go. But my wife is on BCBSAL. How would she go about getting medical care while traveling out of state. We are looking at taking some extended trips in our motorhome that may be three or four months long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 03:48 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Have you checked yet to see that she would NOT be covered by BCBSAL ? I had blue cross when I was traveling to WV from MA to work on a house we had in WV and I had a heart attack the day after I got here. BC paid for everything.
Don't just assume she would not be covered while traveling.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am on medicare so I can get medical care wherever I go. But my wife is on BCBSAL. How would she go about getting medical care while traveling out of state. We are looking at taking some extended trips in our motorhome that may be three or four months long.
is this not addressed in your plan information?

Old 11-26-2018, 05:28 AM

I am assuming her insurance will work with a doctor/facility that is part of network.

I have found anything (yet) on what happens if she is out of state.

Another bigger question is what happens if we move to another state?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:40 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
If you move to another state you change to a plan that is covered in that state.
Your best bet for answer to the traveling in the RV question is to have her call her insurance company and just ask them.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 AM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
From their page...

Out-of-Network Coverage
In most cases, you must receive your care from a Blue Cross Community MMAI in-network plan provider. There are some exceptions when care you receive from an out-of-network provider will be covered. Those exceptions are:

Emergency care or urgently needed care
Out of area dialysis services
Continuity of care or if you need care that cannot be adequately provided by a network
Unusual circumstances that may require prior authorization. Examples are:
You have a unique medical condition and the services are not available from in-network providers
Services are available in-network but are not available as soon as you need them
Your PCP determines that a non-network provider can best provide the service

* emergency care or urgently needed care.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:20 AM

469 posts, read 761,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
But my wife is on BCBSAL. How would she go about getting medical care while traveling out of state.
Based on other threads you have started, the BCBSAL plan is from the ACA Marketplace. BCBSAL Marketplace plans are PPO plans connected to the BlueCard National Provider Network.

This means any provider contracted with Blue Cross in any state will be in-network. 99% of all hospitals are in the BlueCard network. Out-of-network providers will fall under the PPO out-of-network benefit. The policy will contain the exact details.

You can find providers in the BlueCard provider network here: https://provider.bcbs.com/app/public...bcbsaProductId

See pages 3-4 for in-network benefits including BlueCard, page 10 for out-of-network cost sharing, and pages 12-13 for out-of-area services: https://www.bcbsal.org/bb/2019hbi.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
From their page...

Out-of-Network Coverage
In most cases, you must receive your care from a Blue Cross Community MMAI in-network plan provider.
MMAI is the Medicare/Medicaid Alignment Initiative for Medicare/Medicaid dual-eligible managed care plans. The OP's wife is on an under 65 ACA Marketplace plan, not Medicare/Medicaid dual-eligible.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:11 AM

Thanks everyone. Our plan is to travel around in our motorhome looking for possible states to move to that are more tax friendly and warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance