Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:32 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times

Advertisements

SO go in for a wellness physical, do blood work doctor puts me on Atorvastatin 20mg(Generic Lipitor), wife goes to Walgreens and gets a 30 day supply. About to run out wife goes back to get more, won't fill say's something about insurance won't pay call 800# they gave her. They gave her 5 pills as a Courtesy for 45.01$'s till we could resolve the issue. Call 800# a recording comes on about flood disaster relief(yea we live in Louisiana but haven't flooded since Katrina, lol)and how to get lined up for it. Type in Atorvastatin 20mg on google see somethang interesting, lol. Go back to Walgreens tell them not happy about the price of 5 pills, they say could buy 30 pills instead for 168$'s. Nope here are the 5 pills still in the stapled bag just give me back my money. Left the store went next door to Wallmart. Without using any insurance my 2 options are 9$'s for a 30 day supply or 24$'s for a 90 day supply, took the 90 day supply will pick up in the afternoon. What the heck thank we have a corrupt system, lol. If an average person was pulling this kind of scam fairly sure we would go to jail, thoughts maybe just not seeing this clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:37 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
You are seeing it clearly. Walmart and Target can be half of price of CVS or Walgreens even without ins. Even with ins Walmart can be cheaper then the pharmacy chains. Its a scam.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:51 AM

My bad, Walmart just called to pick up, 90 day supply not going to be 24$'s it's going to be 24.10$, what a bunch of thieves Walgreens must be stealing millions from the federal government, then again maybe just not seeing it right, what ya'll thank?

Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
SO go in for a wellness physical, do blood work doctor puts me on Atorvastatin 20mg(Generic Lipitor), wife goes to Walgreens and gets a 30 day supply. About to run out wife goes back to get more, won't fill say's something about insurance won't pay call 800# they gave her. They gave her 5 pills as a Courtesy for 45.01$'s till we could resolve the issue. Call 800# a recording comes on about flood disaster relief(yea we live in Louisiana but haven't flooded since Katrina, lol)and how to get lined up for it. Type in Atorvastatin 20mg on google see somethang interesting, lol. Go back to Walgreens tell them not happy about the price of 5 pills, they say could buy 30 pills instead for 168$'s. Nope here are the 5 pills still in the stapled bag just give me back my money. Left the store went next door to Wallmart. Without using any insurance my 2 options are 9$'s for a 30 day supply or 24$'s for a 90 day supply, took the 90 day supply will pick up in the afternoon. What the heck thank we have a corrupt system, lol. If an average person was pulling this kind of scam fairly sure we would go to jail, thoughts maybe just not seeing this clearly.
Well, here are the prices I saw for a 90 day supply of Atvorstatin on the GoodRx site, the prices are shown for various retail pharmacies, including Walgreens, and there is a printable coupon for most of these locations-that's without insurance. I see that even for the 90 day supply the cost is nowhere near the $168, not even at the Walgreens listed (you type in your own zip code to get prices for pharmacies near you.

https://m.goodrx.com/atorvastatin?do...in&quantity=90

I get my prescriptions at our local Walgreens, and our copays are ridiculously low for most of them, that's thanks to the excellent prescription drug coverage we have and the fact that Walgreens is a network provider. I am aware that prices of drugs vary among different retail pharmacies, and even among the same pharmacy chain in different locations, guess that's why it pays to shop around.

I've also found the pharmacists and pharmacy techs at our Walgreens have been most helpful over the years in ensuring we get the best prices we can for the drugs prescribed occasionally that are more expensive, either by helping us get manufacturer's coupons, or giving us the information we need to get those coupons, to contacting our insurance company or giving us the details we need to ensure the insurance company will cover a given drug. I have also found our local Walmart pharmacy helpful in getting the best pharmaceutical prices for my mother who has no prescription drug coverage.

In your case I would call that 800 number for your insurance and see what the hangup is in their covering your Atvorstatin. Doesn't sound as though it should be much of an issue, but you never know and the price you pay for the drug will most likely be much less through your insurance.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Be sure and always ask what the cash price is too. you can also try GoodRX.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Yea, that goodrx is another rip off just like the thieves at Walgreens. Just got back from walmart, 90 day supply atovastatin 20mg was 24.10plus tax. Doubt Walgreens gona beat that price and "no" they were of no help to me at Walgreens, esp. when they charged my wife 45.01$'s for 5 pills, Walmart just charged me 26 cents a pill not nine dollars a pill as Walgreens tried to charge my wife, lol. The lady at Walgreens sorta took it personal when she realized the 5 9$ pills were going to be returned and that Walmart would be selling me 90 of the same pills tomorrow for 24.10$. A lot of scams by alot of company's going on in health care ATM. Thank goodnes Walmart is so transparent with there pricing. No cards, no coupons no insurance for a large variety of commonly used drugs. The new list came out on 11/28/2018 a lot of medicine on the list 30/90 day supplies at 4/10$'s or 9/24$'s gona really put a squeeze on a lot of crooks in the medical prescrption business of which Walgreens is most definetily one of. Can you only imagine how many people with government and private insurance while only paying walgreens a low amount the government is paying the full amount. Anyway jus my opinion but we all know it is true, lol.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Be sure and always ask what the cash price is too. you can also try GoodRX.
Yea, Walgreens quoted me a cash price of 168$'s for 30 pills and charged my wife 45.01$'s for 5 pills. The head pharmisist was rather upset when they were returned by me, esp. when she was told Walmart quoted me a cash price of 24$'s fo 90 of the exact same thang, told her not to take it personaly but that 9$'s a pill was out of the question. Thank you and have a nice day.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Some reped me and said to make sure to get the s/e with statin drugs, not sure what that means.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:18 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Sadly it's often cheaper to not use your insurance to fill prescriptions and just pay cash. It's your employer/insurance plan that determines what the copays is on your meds.

I work for an insurance company. Whenever I need medication I always get generic and fill it at Walmart for $10.00.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:35 PM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
Do you have to be on that particular statin drug? -- Atorvastatin 20mg(Generic Lipitor). Doctors usually have no clue as to the cost of the drugs they prescribe. My mother is on Simvistatin (Generic for Zocor) and the cost is $2 for a 90-day supply. Maybe ask your doctor if you can take another statin that is less expensive. If you've tried all the others and Lipitor is the only one that works for you, then that's another thing. But with all the generic statin drugs out there, you should be able to use one that's less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance