Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 07:06 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,540,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Wrong.

Go to Medicare.gov.

https://www.medicare.gov/

Find "supplements and other insurance" - click on that, choose "Find a medigap policy" - plug in your zipcode - a list of plans will be populated. Go to Plan F - AARP UHC is at the top of the list - which clearly states COMMUNITY RATING. AARP UHC is not on the Plan G list, but Medicare.gov often is late with its updates.

If, as you've learned, AARP is now offering Plan G in Louisiana, it will also be COMMUNITY-RATED.

EXCEPT FOR United Healthcare which is community-rated. Once again, Medicare lists the methods of pricing here:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...-policies.aspx

There is no "age-related' pricing. It is either community, attained-age or issue age.

Yes, that's exactly what I said upthread. That is what community rating is - after age 77, everyone pays the same.

NO, it will not be. Also, at this time for UHC, there is no "age 80." Age-related discounts end at age 77. Thereafter, whether you are 78 or 98 your rate is the same.

The reason everyone pays the same is the younger people in the community-rated risk pool are offsetting the risks of the older people.
We have horror stories here of people with attained age polices with premiums of over $400 a month today. The community-rating prevents that.

Of course it will. You are 13 years older and could very well be much sicker. But, for the third time, age-based increases stop at age 77. NOT TRUE FOR OTHER POLICIES.

Go to the UHC website. Plug in your zipcode and age and date you will begin Medicare. The website will give you prices depending on the data you enter. Enter a different age, you will get a different result.

Here is the UHC link:

https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.c...l?WT.mc_id=43D

I told you what happened to my sister with her attained-age Aetna policy. DO NOT think at age 77 your rate will be $149 - IT WILL NOT BE. She, at age 69, is already paying Aetna $205 after starting out three years ago with a rate of $142.

Fyi, AARP UHC has 35% of the Medigap market. There is a reason for that - community-rating - which means an affordable rate at age 90. Read this link:

https://www.markfarrah.com/mfa-brief...nt-plans-2018/

If you expect a long life, you do not want an attained-age policy.
Thank you! I found it! I did a chat session w/AARP, who confirmed the UHC IS community-rated. YAY!!!

(I swear I read on one site that told you which states do NOT have community-rated, and Louisiana was one of them. So many sites with dubious information.)

Anyway...my decision is made! PLAN G, UHC!

Phew! My goodness, this whole thing was so confusing. Thank you, Ariadne, for your help. The more I read and the more people I spoke with, the more confused I got. But now, phew, I'm set.

Thank you! Thank everyone else who helped me, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I believe you are incorrect on what you wrote here. Hopefully Ariadne22, will be along with the right info. No one knows this stuff like her. I believe that only in FL does UHC medicare plan not have community pricing, and after 77 only goes up if everyone's premium goes up. I think that is the reason most of us here chose the AARP/UHC plans, I started with planF, and changed to plan G about a year ago.
You are correct, arwenmark! I read the site & info from Ariadne, and did a chat session w/AARP, who confirmed that Plan G by UHC, Louisiana, is community-rated. What a relief!

Thank you for your assistance (I already thanked Ariadne profusely).

I can't believe my good fortune to live in a state with community-rated supplement plans. And it's UHC, a company I've had a positive experience with in the past.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. That is so considerate of everyone to try to help with newbie questions. I hope I can pass it on (when I learn a thing or two).

Old 12-05-2018, 08:57 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,367,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Thank you! I found it! I did a chat session w/AARP, who confirmed the UHC IS community-rated. YAY!!!

(I swear I read on one site that told you which states do NOT have community-rated, and Louisiana was one of them. So many sites with dubious information.)

Anyway...my decision is made! PLAN G, UHC!

Phew! My goodness, this whole thing was so confusing. Thank you, Ariadne, for your help. The more I read and the more people I spoke with, the more confused I got. But now, phew, I'm

Thank you! Thank everyone else who helped me, as well.
Happy to hear this.

Re "community rating," unless one is familiar with the nuances of the terminology used on these websites, it is easy to misinterpret what you've read. What that website meant is Louisiana does not mandate Medigaps be community-rated. However, there a few states like NY and MA (and possibly one or two others) which do mandate community rating for Medigaps, which is what that website is referring to.

Nonetheless, community-rated plans can still be sold in states without the mandate. In states without the community-rated mandate, most insurers offer attained-age policies because of a relatively unlimited ability to raise premiums, although there are a few carriers which will also offer issue-age poicies - which can be as effective as a community-rated policy in controlling premium increases, provided the issue-age policy is bought at a young age. That said, for the most part, issue-age policies in the beginning tend to be more expensive than the UHC community-rated plan.

There are no complaints from anyone here with UHC service and payment. Going forward payment for services for Medicare-approved procedures, which is most of them, should be non-events.

Thanks for the update.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-05-2018 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Happy to hear this.

Re "community rating," unless one is familiar with the nuances of the terminology used on these websites, it is easy to misinterpret what you've read. What that website meant is Louisiana does not mandate Medigaps be community-rated. However, there a few states like NY and MA (and possibly one or two others) which do mandate community rating for Medigaps, which is what that website is referring to.

Nonetheless, community-rated plans can still be sold in states without the mandate. In states without the community-rated mandate, most insurers offer attained-age policies because of a relatively unlimited ability to raise premiums, although there are a few carriers which will also offer issue-age poicies - which can be as effective as a community-rated policy in controlling premium increases, provided the issue-age policy is bought at a young age. That said, for the most part, issue-age policies in the beginning tend to be more expensive than the UHC community-rated plan.

There are no complaints from anyone here with UHC service and payment. Going forward payment for services for Medicare-approved procedures, which is most of them, should be non-events.

Thanks for the update.
Ohhhhhhh. I get it. Mandates. Thanks for the explanation and add'l info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance