Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 06:44 PM

230 posts, read 215,293 times

Advertisements

For the past year, I've been having tension/achiness/pain on the back of my neck. Sometimes it's severe and other times it's mild. When I turn my head, I really feel it. Sometimes this sensation radiates to my head.

In addition to this I've also been having issues with my reward system. I lost my ability to be aroused, to experience adrenaline, and pleasure. I've also been having erection problems. I'm not sure if this could be tied into my neck pain?

I've tried stretching exercises. I even bought me a neck massager. They haven't helped.

I went to my doctor and had my blood work done along with a urinalysis. I also had my testosterone and prostate checked.

All came back normal except my PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) was mildly elevated.

A month went by and my symptoms were persisting. I decided to go speak to a Urologist and he just looked at my results from my GP and concluded that I had no physical issues and made a note to my GP that I should consider therapy.

When I told him about my neck pain, he asked me if I ever had a scan or imaging done? I told him no. I asked him should I do that? He said, "I am a Urologist. That's not my area of treatment. I can't order you to get that done."

I haven't really told my GP about my neck tension either.

I want to go back to my GP and ask him about possibly getting an MRI on my neck.

Insurance will probably turn it down since the pre-authorization may determine the procedure to not be medically necessary. However, I'm willing to pay for it out of pocket. My insurance is Blue Care Network. I live in Michigan.

I found this facility not too far from my area and they charge $350.00 for an MRI of the cervical spine without contrast and $480.00 with contrast without insurance.

I called the facility to confirm this. They told me even if you're paying out of pocket they still require a doctor's order.

I'm not sure if I could have just muscle tension or if it could be a pinched nerve, etc.

I may consider going to a chiropractor or physical therapist.

I really want this imaging done to see if something could be going on in my neck.

I worry my doctor may deny ordering this test for me.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 09:44 AM

9,108 posts, read 6,150,521 times
Since you know nothing yet, how about a bizarre suggestion? Talk to your GP. "I haven't really told my GP about my neck tension either." There's a hint there.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:28 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,498,746 times
I think the first step is to go to your GP and tell them all the symptoms you are having. You have no idea whether he will refuse to order the test. Your insurance may even cover it. But your doctor can't properly help you if they are working off of incomplete information.

They may also ask you to try something as a first step before the MRI. Sometimes I go in and think something is urgent and the doctor says, eh, let's watch this for a few weeks and I want to see you back in a month to see if it resolved. Other times I think something isn't a big deal and the doctor does, and orders a battery of tests right away.

Old 09-05-2021, 02:11 PM

23,238 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
i think the first step is to go to your gp and tell them all the symptoms you are having. You have no idea whether he will refuse to order the test. Your insurance may even cover it. But your doctor can't properly help you if they are working off of incomplete information.
Second all of this, especially the bolded!!! Interesting that the first thing you start this thread off with is neck tension/pain that you also mention in at least two of your other related threads, but you haven't discussed those symptoms to the GP who ordered the initial labs? A good MD can make symptom correlations you cannot, but they need to know what they are. You also mention in this and your other threads that you suffer from anxiety. Talking to a therapist is a good suggestion but I suspect you don't want to face that conversation. You've convinced yourself you want an MRI.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-05-2021 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-05-2021, 05:51 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
For the past year, I've been having tension/achiness/pain on the back of my neck. Sometimes it's severe and other times it's mild. When I turn my head, I really feel it. Sometimes this sensation radiates to my head.

In addition to this I've also been having issues with my reward system. I lost my ability to be aroused, to experience adrenaline, and pleasure. I've also been having erection problems. I'm not sure if this could be tied into my neck pain?

I've tried stretching exercises. I even bought me a neck massager. They haven't helped.

I went to my doctor and had my blood work done along with a urinalysis. I also had my testosterone and prostate checked.

All came back normal except my PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) was mildly elevated.

A month went by and my symptoms were persisting. I decided to go speak to a Urologist and he just looked at my results from my GP and concluded that I had no physical issues and made a note to my GP that I should consider therapy.

When I told him about my neck pain, he asked me if I ever had a scan or imaging done? I told him no. I asked him should I do that? He said, "I am a Urologist. That's not my area of treatment. I can't order you to get that done."

I want to go back to my GP and ask him about possibly getting an MRI on my neck.

I'm not sure if I could have just muscle tension or if it could be a pinched nerve, etc.

What do you guys think?
Proper neck/spine/torso alignment is critical for proper function of nerve pathways.

A chiropractor is the very first place I would start with neck tension radiating into the head. I have this issue, along with hip misalignment, from time to time. One or two chiropractic visits fixes the problem.

I've been seeing a chiropractor who uses activator therapy (vs. bone crunching/neck twisting) regularly for the past 16 years - probably 12-13x a year - as I have some minor lower back disc weakness, a result of repeated skiing falls, which causes my r-hip to get out of whack. Chiropractor is the only health care practitioner I see other than my dentist on a regular basis. Activator chiropractic therapy, in my experience, is much more effective and far safer. When I broke a leg 14 years ago, after cast removal, chiropractor adjusted neck/spine/hips - the pain relief in my ankle/foot/leg was absolutely amazing.

In 2005, I developed a sciatica issue. Could barely walk. After several months of regular chiropractic, I was referred to the activator chiropractor I now see by another chiropractic office. They said they'd heard good things about him. He fixed me - took a couple of months. This is the only chiropractic I would use - activator.

Insurance will usually pay for chiropractic to fix a misalignment - after deductibles, etc. If you're in a provider network, you may have trouble finding a chiropractor who uses activator. For me, that would be irrelevant. I want a doctor who will fix me regardless of insurance payments.

Misalignments develop over time, they also take time to correct. The body continues to compensate until it can't anymore and that's when pain and other issues develop. Find a good chiro who uses activator. Work with him for a month or so before resorting to all manner of scans, etc.

Now 79 y/o - no health issues whatsoever. Dentist, chiro are my regular providers. I avoid medication of any kind due to a life-altering experience in my 30's caused by an antibiotic. I'm not opposed to allopathic medicine, but usually it isn't necessary for me. Overall, these days, my annual chiropractic costs are in the area of $700.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-05-2021 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-05-2021, 09:22 PM

Further to the above, you could also check your provider network for an osteopath who might have a comprehensive wholistic solution to your issues:
Quote:
A doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) is a licensed physician who aims to improve people’s overall health and wellness by treating the whole person, not just a condition or disease they may have.

This includes osteopathic manipulative medicine, which involves stretching, massaging, and moving the musculoskeletal system.

In all 50 states, DOs, also called osteopaths or osteopathic physicians, are licensed to prescribe medications, perform surgery, and use technological imaging to diagnose and treat illness and injury.

https://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-an-osteopath
My aunt and my step-mother saw only osteopaths, regularly. Both women died in their 90's and were disease-free to the end.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:45 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:

Insurance will probably turn it down since the pre-authorization may determine the procedure to not be medically necessary. However, I'm willing to pay for it out of pocket. My insurance is Blue Care Network. I live in Michigan.

I found this facility not too far from my area and they charge $350.00 for an MRI of the cervical spine without contrast and $480.00 with contrast without insurance.

I called the facility to confirm this. They told me even if you're paying out of pocket they still require a doctor's order.

I really want this imaging done to see if something could be going on in my neck.

I worry my doctor may deny ordering this test for me.

What do you guys think?

I told you in my last reply to you that an MRI is a good idea since you're having head and neck symptoms. The cervical spine controls what you feel in the head, neck and arms, it does not affect your penis. I had messaged you a link to an image called dermatomes that show you what part of the spine affects what part of your body. I'm posting it below so you can see that penis issues are lowest spine controlled, specifically S1 and S2. I also message you other images of nerves and muscles in the low back and butt area so you could see if you can figure out your problem. Those images can be a gold mine to advocate for yourself.

If your doctor refuses to write a cervical MRI then go to an urgent care, complain of head and neck pain there, they may give you an MRI script.

I suggest you also ask your doctor to prescribe that penal test that Med Lab Guy suggested for you the penal test called nocturnal tumescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Proper neck/spine/torso alignment is critical for proper function of nerve pathways.

A chiropractor is the very first place I would start with neck tension radiating into the head. I have this issue, along with hip misalignment, from time to time. One or two chiropractic visits fixes the problem.

I've been seeing a chiropractor who uses activator therapy (vs. bone crunching/neck twisting) regularly for the past 16 years - probably 12-13x a year - as I have some minor lower back disc weakness, a result of repeated skiing falls, which causes my r-hip to get out of whack. Chiropractor is the only health care practitioner I see other than my dentist on a regular basis. Activator chiropractic therapy, in my experience, is much more effective and far safer. When I broke a leg 14 years ago, after cast removal, chiropractor adjusted neck/spine/hips - the pain relief in my ankle/foot/leg was absolutely amazing.

In 2005, I developed a sciatica issue. Could barely walk. After several months of regular chiropractic, I was referred to the activator chiropractor I now see by another chiropractic office. They said they'd heard good things about him. He fixed me - took a couple of months. This is the only chiropractic I would use - activator.

Insurance will usually pay for chiropractic to fix a misalignment - after deductibles, etc. If you're in a provider network, you may have trouble finding a chiropractor who uses activator. For me, that would be irrelevant. I want a doctor who will fix me regardless of insurance payments.

Misalignments develop over time, they also take time to correct. The body continues to compensate until it can't anymore and that's when pain and other issues develop. Find a good chiro who uses activator. Work with him for a month or so before resorting to all manner of scans, etc.

Now 79 y/o - no health issues whatsoever. Dentist, chiro are my regular providers. I avoid medication of any kind due to a life-altering experience in my 30's caused by an antibiotic. I'm not opposed to allopathic medicine, but usually it isn't necessary for me. Overall, these days, my annual chiropractic costs are in the area of $700.

Thanks for giving the OP all that detailed info. I did a google search for Activator Method if the OP wants to look into it, I doubt he will. I'd mentioned a chiro in his other thread, he ignored it. I see he does mention it in his main post, maybe he is interested in going. I'll be shocked if he replies or asks questions about it. I agree that he should go to a chiro because his spine is probably out of alignment.

I've given him some advice in his various threads, I've also sent him a message on 8/25 where I sent him links to spine images, one called dermatomes that shows he will have penis issues if something is wrong with his S1 or S2 area. I also sent him images for spinal nerves and muscles of the back and legs that he can write on when he has symptoms, then take it to his doctor. He never replied to my message to answer questions I asked him, never said thanks.

So far, he's not commented on anything I've said. He seems to pick and choose who he replies to, likes to reply to Med Lab Guy (MLG) who's told him sorry, I can't help you. MLG gave him the name of a specific penal test called nocturnal tumescence for the urologist to do. The OP never asked questions or even acknowledged that advice. According to MLG, "if it came out normal then you would have objective findings that nothing physical was going on. It means all the parts are working, vascularity, nerves the whole nine yards except for the conscious mind"

On August 22nd, the OP replied to MLG that the urologist thinks he is experiencing Anhedonia which is the inability to feel pleasure. It's a common symptom of depression as well as other mental health disorders. The OP felt the diagnosis was right. My opinion is that he needs that penal test to be sure it is not something physical.

If you look at the dermatomes image, you can clearly see that the cervical spine has nothing to do with the penis, yet OP is posting in the health insurance section looking for advice about getting the cervical MRI, throws in his penal problems.

The cervical spine controls parts of the head and ears, neck, breast bone, shoulders and upper back, arms and fingers, thoracic spine 1 controls the inner arm, the rest of the arm is cervical. His penis is nowhere near any of those parts. A pinched nerve in the cervical spine affects the arms and hands.

I'm familiar with your posts. I know you do a lot of detailed replies because you really do want to help people here. I'm the same way. I hate to see either of us spending time to compose a reply that someone ignores, it's not appreciated. It usually will be at some point to someone else. I've gotten rep comments on some of my detailed replies a few years later so thankfully someone does eventually appreciate it.

This is my last comment to the OP if he keeps ignoring advice. I suggest you also consider it if he ignores you too.

Last edited by Roselvr; 09-06-2021 at 05:59 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 09:49 AM

230 posts, read 215,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I told you in my last reply to you that an MRI is a good idea since you're having head and neck symptoms. The cervical spine controls what you feel in the head, neck and arms, it does not affect your penis. I had messaged you a link to an image called dermatomes that show you what part of the spine affects what part of your body. I'm posting it below so you can see that penis issues are lowest spine controlled, specifically S1 and S2. I also message you other images of nerves and muscles in the low back and butt area so you could see if you can figure out your problem. Those images can be a gold mine to advocate for yourself.

If your doctor refuses to write a cervical MRI then go to an urgent care, complain of head and neck pain there, they may give you an MRI script.

I suggest you also ask your doctor to prescribe that penal test that Med Lab Guy suggested for you the penal test called nocturnal tumescence

Thanks for giving the OP all that detailed info. I did a google search for Activator Method if the OP wants to look into it, I doubt he will. I'd mentioned a chiro in his other thread, he ignored it. I see he does mention it in his main post, maybe he is interested in going. I'll be shocked if he replies or asks questions about it. I agree that he should go to a chiro because his spine is probably out of alignment.

I've given him some advice in his various threads, I've also sent him a message on 8/25 where I sent him links to spine images, one called dermatomes that shows he will have penis issues if something is wrong with his S1 or S2 area. I also sent him images for spinal nerves and muscles of the back and legs that he can write on when he has symptoms, then take it to his doctor. He never replied to my message to answer questions I asked him, never said thanks.

So far, he's not commented on anything I've said. He seems to pick and choose who he replies to, likes to reply to Med Lab Guy (MLG) who's told him sorry, I can't help you. MLG gave him the name of a specific penal test called nocturnal tumescence for the urologist to do. The OP never asked questions or even acknowledged that advice. According to MLG, "if it came out normal then you would have objective findings that nothing physical was going on. It means all the parts are working, vascularity, nerves the whole nine yards except for the conscious mind"

On August 22nd, the OP replied to MLG that the urologist thinks he is experiencing Anhedonia which is the inability to feel pleasure. It's a common symptom of depression as well as other mental health disorders. The OP felt the diagnosis was right. My opinion is that he needs that penal test to be sure it is not something physical.

If you look at the dermatomes image, you can clearly see that the cervical spine has nothing to do with the penis, yet OP is posting in the health insurance section looking for advice about getting the cervical MRI, throws in his penal problems.

The cervical spine controls parts of the head and ears, neck, breast bone, shoulders and upper back, arms and fingers, thoracic spine 1 controls the inner arm, the rest of the arm is cervical. His penis is nowhere near any of those parts. A pinched nerve in the cervical spine affects the arms and hands.

I'm familiar with your posts. I know you do a lot of detailed replies because you really do want to help people here. I'm the same way. I hate to see either of us spending time to compose a reply that someone ignores, it's not appreciated. It usually will be at some point to someone else. I've gotten rep comments on some of my detailed replies a few years later so thankfully someone does eventually appreciate it.

This is my last comment to the OP if he keeps ignoring advice. I suggest you also consider it if he ignores you too.

I do read all of the replies, even if I don't respond. I do appreciate the advice you guys take the time out of your day to give me. I'll be going back to my General Practitioner sometime this week and update with him. I'll talk to him about my Urologist visit and how my symptoms aren't showing much improvement.

I have been taking vitamins and supplements for the last 2 months to see if that would help. This is information that I have not shared with my GP, but will when I go back. The vitamins aren't helping that much.

I will talk to my GP about the tension I've been having on my neck since I've been having these symptoms. The only thing about this is that I may have to do an X-Ray first and perhaps go to a chiropractor for treatment before my insurance covers an MRI. I thought about paying for one out of pocket, but I think trying these alternatives first before getting an MRI may be the best idea. Something could be picked up on the X-Ray. Going to a chiropractor can possibly fix this issue.

I'll be honest. These symptoms all began when I was dealing with a ton of stress and it was chronic. This happened at some point last year. I'm happy to say that things are better now in terms of the stressful events, but it seems like the stress altered something in my brain/body. Ever since then I've been having this persistent tension in my neck along with loss of arousal, adrenaline, and pleasure. It's like my reward system shut down. I believe this started off psychological then led to a physical problem. I remember how I was before all of this started happening and I'm trying to get back to that point.

I'm paying closer attention to my symptoms and researching what the issue may be. I've narrowed it down to this possibly being a neurological problem or like the Urologist said, "Anhedonia". I want to do other tests to see. So far I've only had my blood work done, urinalysis, vitals, and EKG.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
These symptoms all began when I was dealing with a ton of stress and it was chronic. This happened at some point last year. I'm happy to say that things are better now in terms of the stressful events, but it seems like the stress altered something in my brain/body.
You've identified your problem. Stress is a HUGE and debilitating source of body tension/misalignment and contributed greatly to my sciatica issue - which was the worst pain I'd ever experienced. Years ago, when I worked which is when I had sciatica, my chiro would often ask about my stress level because he could see it in my body. Your issues began there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+...nt=firefox-b-1

I'm a great believer in keeping things simple. The body is very good at healing itself.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 09-07-2021 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: poster request, spelling

Old 09-07-2021, 09:34 AM

118 posts, read 95,602 times
It's the internet not a Medical Forum of practioners, what do people expect? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance