Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 06:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
So they have very little in the way of income/assets and are truly needy?
That was my question as well. After I left the hospital they badgered me to do that questionnaire as well. I finally called the number and told them I'm sure I didn't qualify for aid, but they insisted on putting me through a long series of questions until they finally agreed. I'm certainly not high income, but I'm sure as heck not needy.

And honestly, we have been without insurance off and on for many years. We still pay our medical bills. It is irritating when people assume if you don't have insurance, you don't pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 06:51 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Every time I look at the BlueCross paperwork that comes around and sse the difference in what the hospital billed and what they accepted as the 'plan max' charge it pisses me off. Souldn't be two different numbers.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:54 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That was my question as well. After I left the hospital they badgered me to do that questionnaire as well. I finally called the number and told them I'm sure I didn't qualify for aid, but they insisted on putting me through a long series of questions until they finally agreed. I'm certainly not high income, but I'm sure as heck not needy.

And honestly, we have been without insurance off and on for many years. We still pay our medical bills. It is irritating when people assume if you don't have insurance, you don't pay.
Sometimes I wonder about the criteria for getting your medical bills paid. I know someone who had a bill of around $4000 after insurance paid. They completed the paperwork for assistance and were very surprised when the bill was paid. Later that year, they took some money out of their investments and went on a trip to Africa to see wild animals.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:25 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
It used to be everyone could get a catastrophic health plan, now only under 30 can. Catastrophic health plans can be under $100 a month. They were an option we were looking at for when my husband retired but unfortunately all that changed just before he did. Up until he went on Medicare we had no medical care we couldn't afford to have just paid.

Old 12-04-2021, 12:46 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
It used to be everyone could get a catastrophic health plan, now only under 30 can. Catastrophic health plans can be under $100 a month. They were an option we were looking at for when my husband retired but unfortunately all that changed just before he did. Up until he went on Medicare we had no medical care we couldn't afford to have just paid.
Yes, yes, yes. That's what we always had before the ACA was passed. Ours was $247.

Old 12-04-2021, 04:33 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Now sure what you call costly. You are self-employed and are not on Medicare, yet, iirc. So, your options can, indeed, be very costly. Thus, you use a health ministry. I would, too, if I was pre-medicare age and didn't have the option of affordable employer insurance.

Most retirees are very happy to be on Medicare and out from under the atrocious rates they paid previously.

Lola's Medicare Part B premium for hubby is $148, deducted from his SS benefit.

"PPO Supplement" sounds like an Advantage or FEHB plan (for govt retirees).

Ordinary MA's generally are very low cost in premium. But, in the event of major illness, cost-sharing under an MA could reach $5k/$8k/year.

However, if an FEHB PPO plan, the premium could run possibly $550/mo. for two people. FEHB offers its retirees a wide range of options, some more costly than others.

If, otoh, Lola has a Medicare supplement aka Medigap, costs for one person would look like this:

$148 - Part B premium ($170 in 2022)
$190 - Medigap Supplement (assuming he's over 70) - rates vary widely by state
$..35 - Part D Premium
$373 -

which would be the extent of their costs, other than the annual $203 Part B deductible and drug copays. Zero hassles on payment. Bills go directly to Medicare/Medigap.

In either case - FEHB PPO or Medigap, per person cost is about $400. That figure could be reduced to $233 with a high-deductible ($2,490) Medigap. For the healthy, the HD Medigap is a cost-effective choice.

Sorry you misunderstood…..no hubby did very well and are AGI is over the top limit…our supplemental is PPO……LAST year our total PPO premiums were well over 22k…no dental eye or drugs either..
Yes it is deducted from our SS, which we both started age 62..likely not out best decision as we could have waited..
He had stock options from a board seat he held for 30 years….price of the stock skyrocketed when they got a new President, and he really trimmed the fat..
We only have one option left to exercise, then our AGI will drop precipitously, and are rate will hopefully drop to the middle level….we will never get to 148…
Believe me we are thankful that we are both healthcare folks, And we have been in HMO hell

I admit I am so many retired folks are in the 148 range so they have healthcare

Old 12-04-2021, 05:39 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Sorry you misunderstood…..no hubby did very well and are AGI is over the top limit…our supplemental is PPO……LAST year our total PPO premiums were well over 22k…no dental eye or drugs either..

Yes it is deducted from our SS, which we both started age 62..likely not out best decision as we could have waited..
Interesting scenario. You may have taken SS early, but you cannot enroll in Medicare until age 65. Thus, Part B premiums would not be deducted until age 65 because Medicare is not available to those under 65 unless they have been disabled for at least two years. So, you are both now 65 at least, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie
Yea our PPO Medicare and supplemental is costly,,,,,
Because of your high AGI, your Part B premium (deducted from SS benefit) would be $504.90 each/$1,009.80/mo. = $12,117.60/yr. v. $296/$3,552 (what most couples are paying).

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...s/part-b-costs

Add to that the "PPO Supplemental" coverage (retiree plan, I assume) of $450/mo each/$900/mo. = $10,000 year.

Gotta say, $900 month for PPO Supplemental for both of you is more than twice the cost of a Medigap for those under 75. Medigap supplement prices are NOT based on your income. Only Part B, b/c it is subsidized by the govt., is subject to income scrutiny.

Also, Medigap supplements are not PPO's because they have no network. One can see any Medicare provider ANYWHERE. Medigaps do not cost $5,000/year per person - but more like $1,800/$2,400 per person depending on age/location.

Again, I assume this is retiree coverage. Who is your PPO Supplement carrier?

Old 12-05-2021, 05:03 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Depending on which state they live in, they will regret getting sent to collections when they get sued, then have their bank account garnished or lose their house, or their cars.

Would either of them be happy if their employer didn't pay them for work performed? Do they think doctors and hospitals work for free? Sounds like you sister and BiL are real winners, the types that we need to bring back debtor's prisons for.

The other issue they will face is that the good hospitals won't treat them, and they will end up in the county hospital.
They can't take my house in FL. Even if they tried 2 i would burn it down before they got it.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:49 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I found out from my mom the bill from the hospital was a little over 100K.

My mom says that my sister filled out some application that the hospital provided her with to see if a charitable organization would help her with the bill. And they did. They completely covered it.

So there you go. Has hardly ever had insurance, not going to fork out $5-$10000 per year on insurance. And when she does have a hospital stay once in ten years, someone else pays it.

So OP there you go. It does make the normal person question paying $500-1000 per month on health insurance.
Depending on others to pay your bills because......, well, you'd rather spend your money on other things.....

Sounds highly irresponsible to me.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:37 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I missed the last time the OP was here...

OP is crazy if he goes without insurance for a family which includes kids. If something happens to one or both of those kids with medical issues the OP could be ruined if he does not qualify for charity care.

We had employer insurance when my hub was diagnosed with stage 4 tonsil cancer in 09. We were left with a $75k bill. He was treated at one of the best in Philly. He stopped working due to the cancer. I could prove we had no money coming in. They gave us charity care, thankfully. We were still ruined financially in the coming years due to his company going under. You just never know what your life will bring.

Most states have an insurance plan for kids for people with little income. People should at least look into that. My grandson gets free health care with my state.

You just don't know what genes you or your kids were given until they get older like my daughter as a teen when her body crashed. I spent tens of thousands of dollars on her medical care because of the crap insurance her father picked at work because he was healthy.

As for healthcare like Canada, move to Canada. I don't want their system, take a number. People can't get into doctors like we can. No thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance