Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 12:48 PM

712 posts, read 554,727 times

Advertisements

I hesitate to post because so many are critical of anyone who has Medicaid. In March 2024, I will be 65. I am disabled but haven't worked outside the home because of this. I am looking at plans now. We have Medicaid now; my husband is retired and on Molina Medicare Advantage, which has worked well for him so far. I am on Molina Medicaid and I have hearing aids through them. But I have sometimes experienced these hearing aids aren't the best quality. In fact, they are so bad they give me headaches and the sound is far from natural. But I must have them or I am nearly deaf. In my searches, I am seeing Humana has a dual advantage option and they do provide hearing aids. Their site actually says I would be eligible for an advanced hearing aid every 3 years through tru-hearing. Does anyone have this plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxontherun View Post
It is probably best to find an experienced local broker who might be familiar with how these different health plans in your locality operate.
I probably will but really wanted real-life opinions.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:45 PM

3,042 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Ask at the state office that provides you Medicad. They should have an Office of Insurance to guide you thru the process. Every state may be a little different.

There are plans where you get assistance.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:09 PM

Aww goodness! I know that I can call someone. I wanted feedback from people's experiences.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Aww goodness! I know that I can call someone. I wanted feedback from people's experiences.
I can't help you directly either but this year I attended a Medicare fair at our senior center and a Humana rep was there. They do give people extra money to buy certain things like food (but not junk food) and medical supplies. They'll pay for glasses but I bet you only get to choose from some cheaper frames. I don't know what they'd allow for hearing aids. But depending upon the state you live in they put money on your card every month and I think in some states it's over $100.00. Of course good hearing aids cost a lot more than that.

Anyway that plan sounds good and I hope someone comes along with first hand info. If not, then, yes, it's best to get in touch with a rep. They'll come right to your home and they'll also give you a book that tells what they cover.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't help you directly either but this year I attended a Medicare fair at our senior center and a Humana rep was there. They do give people extra money to buy certain things like food (but not junk food) and medical supplies. They'll pay for glasses but I bet you only get to choose from some cheaper frames. I don't know what they'd allow for hearing aids. But depending upon the state you live in they put money on your card every month and I think in some states it's over $100.00. Of course good hearing aids cost a lot more than that.

Anyway that plan sounds good and I hope someone comes along with first hand info. If not, then, yes, it's best to get in touch with a rep. They'll come right to your home and they'll also give you a book that tells what they cover.
This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Thank you. My husband's policy with Molina Medicare Advantage is really rather cool. He has a debit card that he can go to any dentist of his choosing and has $500 for glasses a year, $400 quarterly OTC products, and $3,000 a year for dental. I read that they only allow the most basic of hearing aid and that is why I am interested in humana

Old 05-03-2023, 02:08 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
I probably will but really wanted real-life opinions.
Quote:

You would get better feedback if you titled your thread better to what exactly your question/concern is.

Quote:
I hesitate to post because so many are critical of anyone who has Medicaid. In March 2024, I will be 65. I am disabled but haven't worked outside the home because of this. I am looking at plans now. We have Medicaid now; my husband is retired and on Molina Medicare Advantage, which has worked well for him so far. I am on Molina Medicaid and I have hearing aids through them. But I have sometimes experienced these hearing aids aren't the best quality. In fact, they are so bad they give me headaches and the sound is far from natural. But I must have them or I am nearly deaf. In my searches, I am seeing Humana has a dual advantage option and they do provide hearing aids. Their site actually says I would be eligible for an advanced hearing aid every 3 years through tru-hearing. Does anyone have this plan?

Are the hearing aids being covered under insurance your main concern/question? Most insurance companies consider hearing to be a "luxury" not a necessity.

Best suggestion I have is to search the main health section for hearing aids, there are a good amount of threads with tons of information. There is also threads about hearing aids in the retirement section. See the link below, consider replying in the existing threads, you may get better feedback.

If your question is more to do with wondering if anyone has an insurance plan that covers decent hearing aids then that would be a good thread title. You also may do better posting in your state section where you may get better feedback on medicaid plans your state offers.

Hearing aids are expensive, especially for a decent pair. My hub lost part of his hearing from head and neck radiation. We had private insurance, then he got a plan through the ACA, none covered hearing aids. Since his hearing loss was due to oral cancer, I called a few cancer charities, none offer help to purchase hearing aids.

My hub ended up going to miracle ear probably 5 years ago. They cost about $5,000. He ended up running over one of his hearing aids with the fork lift at work, not sure how it came out of his ear, he had to buy a new pair, so another $5,000. They have a payment plan thankfully.

I can tell you from reading the many hearing aid threads that a good majority of people buy their hearing aids from costco.

Hearing aids forum search

Old 05-03-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I hope you are wrong. I just saw this article that states that it is proven that hearing loss is directly linked to dementia.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/21/11186...-aids-could-he

Old 05-04-2023, 07:23 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
I hope you are wrong. I just saw this article that states that it is proven that hearing loss is directly linked to dementia.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/21/11186...-aids-could-he

I know my hubs hearing loss is due to the head and neck radiation. Back when he fought in 2009/2010 he was regularly given a hearing test plus all sorts of thyroid tests because the thyroid gets fried from the radiation when it targets the area of his cancer.

He also has memory loss from the chemo which can drive me crazy. He hates foods he used to love and loves foods he used to not eat swearing I'm thinking of one of my other ex's lol

His father died in his early 70's from brain cancer, his mom was 3 weeks shy of her 85th birthday when terminal breast cancer finally took her. We do not know his mothers mother or her family history. I have her in the family tree I made, I'm not sure how old she was when she died. Her father had been deceased sometime before her 60's. I don't recall what age he was.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I know my hubs hearing loss is due to the head and neck radiation. Back when he fought in 2009/2010 he was regularly given a hearing test plus all sorts of thyroid tests because the thyroid gets fried from the radiation when it targets the area of his cancer.

He also has memory loss from the chemo which can drive me crazy. He hates foods he used to love and loves foods he used to not eat swearing I'm thinking of one of my other ex's lol

His father died in his early 70's from brain cancer, his mom was 3 weeks shy of her 85th birthday when terminal breast cancer finally took her. We do not know his mothers mother or her family history. I have her in the family tree I made, I'm not sure how old she was when she died. Her father had been deceased sometime before her 60's. I don't recall what age he was.
My Mother died on March 16, 2023, and I walk around all day in a daze because of my grief. My hearing aids I have now replaced the old pair I got from my audiologist. I inherited her sweet hearing aids, which are much better than the ones that my insurance supplied. She had Humana and they supplied the Tru-hearing HA she had (that is now mine). These are a 2020 pair and if I can I would like to have a new pair later on. Thus the real reason for this post. I will be 65 this coming March and will be eligible for a new hearing aid. I have read different reviews and the unitron Shine, hearing aids I have are awful. Nothing sounds normal at all.

Last edited by anitak1982; 05-04-2023 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance