U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 AM

3,761 posts, read 5,417,501 times
Default Disability Question

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this or not, but is it true that you have to be almost dead and one foot on a banana peel before you can receive disability?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 AM

89 posts, read 294,110 times
Are you asking about Social Security disability benefits?

You do not have to be half dead to qualify, but, in general, you do have to be unable to work. This means that not only are you unable to perform your former job, but you must be unable to perform any job that exists in significant numbers in the national economy.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,343,237 times
They had a thing on TV about SS disability and said that it takes on the average of 2 years to ever get it. The people I know that are on it, it did take them about that long. Once approved though, you do get the money from when you first applied, 2 years worth in one lump sum.. I guess that is still the way it works?

I knew a lady that was a bad diabetic and she tried working. Her feet had no feeling in them what so ever and she would walk out of her shoes and not even know it. She always has sores on her feet where she had to stay off of them so she could heal, yet they denied her for 2 years. She was in pretty bad shape and had NO insurance. I could not believe they kept denying her for as long as they did. Most people have to get a lawyer involved before they can get it.

The thing on TV said no matter how bad a shape you are in, they are told to deny the claim.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 AM

I am talking about social security disability benefits. I have bad knees and need knee replacements but cannot get them because I don't have any insurance and I am not working now. I cannot stand or walk for long periods of time. My job function is mainly sitting down and I am interviewing for jobs. Just wondered if I could not find a job if I could apply. I have been working and paying into social security for 31 years and when I need it I cannot get it.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 PM

8,122 posts, read 16,517,981 times
As long as you can work ...in Any position even at a lower wage or shorter hours you will not qulify.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Ok. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:44 PM

89 posts, read 294,110 times
You may file for Social Security disability benefits, if you wish.

You stated that you have knee problems. If this condidtion is serious enough, you might qualify, without considering your ability to work. Social Security regulations include the following about joint problems.

1.02 Major dysfunction of a joint(s) (due to any cause): Characterized by gross anatomical deformity (e.g., subluxation, contracture, bony or fibrous ankylosis, instability) and chronic joint pain and stiffness with signs of limitation of motion or other abnormal motion of the affected joint(s), and findings on appropriate medically acceptable imaging of joint space narrowing, bony destruction, or ankylosis of the affected joint(s). With:
A. Involvement of one major peripheral weight-bearing joint (i.e., hip, knee, or ankle), resulting in inability to ambulate effectively, as defined in 1.00B2b;
or B. Involvement of one major peripheral joint in each upper extremity (i.e., shoulder, elbow, or wrist-hand), resulting in inability to perform fine and gross movements effectively, as defined in 1.00B2c.

If medical evidence establishes that your impairment meets that level of severity, then you are found disabled. It is only if your impairment is less severe that your residual ability to work must be considered.

In any event, you have nothing to lose by filing a claim for disability benefits.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:56 PM

812 posts, read 1,534,088 times
I'm on Social Security, I'll answer whatever questions I can answer for you.

It does not take 2 years, it takes a minimum of 6 months. You cannot be able to work any kind of job, so if you can do a sitting job then you can work.

You will need many years of medical history to prvide to SS abd they will alos have a Dr. look at you as well. In my case they didn't send me to a independant Dr. butin a lot of cases they send you to a Dr.

I know some people who have been denied over and over. In some cases you can get approved in the first try which is 6 months. During that 6 months, if you were looking for work, it shows you can work and not as bad off as in need of SS.

Now as soon as you apply for SS, weather you qualify or not they will have you apply for some program right away weather you qualify or need. They will see if you qualify for that as well. I did not but they make everyone apply just the same.

Minimum is 6 month wait and although I was approved right away, depending on what is wrong w/ you, you may wait a long time and also depending on how long you have been out of work. Like I left work because of my illness, did you leave your job because of your illness? They do an interview w/ you and find out all kinds of questions and all those things determine if you qualify. Like you looking for work says you can work.

Sorry to be so blunt and I am not trying to discourage you at all. They will say you can find a job sitting down. That is how they operate.

There is another option of going to a SS attorney.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:56 PM

6,270 posts, read 12,206,807 times
Been there and done it with a family member. Not 2 years but at least one minimum. They will turn you down the first time. They make you fight for it. Go ahead and hire an atty. who specilaizes in the field. An atty. can only collect so much,per govt. laws and most will take the case only if they think they will win or else they really won't get paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
They had a thing on TV about SS disability and said that it takes on the average of 2 years to ever get it. The people I know that are on it, it did take them about that long. Once approved though, you do get the money from when you first applied, 2 years worth in one lump sum.. I guess that is still the way it works?

I knew a lady that was a bad diabetic and she tried working. Her feet had no feeling in them what so ever and she would walk out of her shoes and not even know it. She always has sores on her feet where she had to stay off of them so she could heal, yet they denied her for 2 years. She was in pretty bad shape and had NO insurance. I could not believe they kept denying her for as long as they did. Most people have to get a lawyer involved before they can get it.

The thing on TV said no matter how bad a shape you are in, they are told to deny the claim.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTenor View Post
You may file for Social Security disability benefits, if you wish.

You stated that you have knee problems. If this condidtion is serious enough, you might qualify, without considering your ability to work. Social Security regulations include the following about joint problems.

1.02 Major dysfunction of a joint(s) (due to any cause): Characterized by gross anatomical deformity (e.g., subluxation, contracture, bony or fibrous ankylosis, instability) and chronic joint pain and stiffness with signs of limitation of motion or other abnormal motion of the affected joint(s), and findings on appropriate medically acceptable imaging of joint space narrowing, bony destruction, or ankylosis of the affected joint(s). With:
A. Involvement of one major peripheral weight-bearing joint (i.e., hip, knee, or ankle), resulting in inability to ambulate effectively, as defined in 1.00B2b;
or B. Involvement of one major peripheral joint in each upper extremity (i.e., shoulder, elbow, or wrist-hand), resulting in inability to perform fine and gross movements effectively, as defined in 1.00B2c.

If medical evidence establishes that your impairment meets that level of severity, then you are found disabled. It is only if your impairment is less severe that your residual ability to work must be considered.

In any event, you have nothing to lose by filing a claim for disability benefits.
I have a well-documented medical condition. I started having this problem in 2002 and it has steadily gotten worse. I have had two series of injections in both knees in 2002 and again the end of last year. The beginning of this year I had both knees operated on to repair a torn menicus in each knee. I have damaged or no cartilage. I have severe grade 4 osteoarthritis in both knees. The doctor has told me I need knee replacements. My left knee is about shot. On top of this, I have high blood pressure and the beginnings of macular degeneration in my right eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance