U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2008, 09:03 AM

1,921 posts, read 3,913,049 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into buying health insurance for myself, and I'm curious as to the experiences of others who have had to also buy their own health insurance, (as opposed to group insurance at work). I've never had to buy my own before, so any comments would be welcome and useful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 AM

16,133 posts, read 16,258,959 times
Health Insurance policies can be very confusing. I have a major medical policy through Blue Cross Blue Shield and I pay @$50.00 per month. I am more concerned with the "biggies" that could happen. I pay for my own doctor visits and prescriptions which are minimal.

It really depends on how old you are and how good your health is. If you have a lot of medical conditions or you take a lot of medication you wouldn't do well on my plan.

Here is a link to give you an idea of different policies and prices. Good luck to you.

Health Insurance, Medical Insurance, Individual Health Insurance Quotes

Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 AM

1,921 posts, read 3,913,049 times
Thanks for the link, YoungLisa. Fifty dollars a month?! Wow!

Yes, I've been finding it quite confusing, trying to sort out information about health insurance. My husband used to get it through work, (like many people), but he passed away seven weeks ago, and, unfortunately, this is something, (like everything else), that I have to do on my own, now.

Like you, I'm more worried about the "biggies", especially after going through a sixteen-month cancer battle with my husband, and seeing the bills that racked up for him. I'm so grateful we had insurance to pay those bills, (one less thing to deal with, as I try to adjust). I can pay for my doctor visits and prescriptions on my own, if need be, particularly if it would mean a not-so-expensive insurance policy.

I'm forty-seven, and I have high blood pressure. That's it, thankfully, so I rarely go to the doctor, other than the yearly check-up, so he can renew my one prescription. So, hopefully, I can find something that won't cost me an arm and a leg! Thank you again for your input.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:36 AM

2,868 posts, read 6,263,257 times
I would shop around!! Contact many agents and tell them what your interested in. Get what is best for you money!

I had BCBS (in New Jersey) when I had my first baby and it was a total nightmare! They would not cover my epi...they told me since I had my epi and delivered on the same day, they are only responsible to cover one of them. So they covered the delivery. Yep, they really tried going there. LOL.... They ended up paying for everything because it was a 'glitch' in the system...But fighting BCBS for 3 weeks after having a baby was not fun...at all. It was a mess and I will never go with them again.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 AM

5,970 posts, read 12,392,966 times
CelticLady - First of all, I am deeply sorry for your loss. It must be difficult to not only deal with it emotionally, and then have to take care of realities.

The link that younglisa provided you is where I also found my insurance when I was in between jobs. Please don't let your COBRA lapse before you secure another one. That way, any pre-ex would be covered. Once you click on a selection, local agents would call you. Before you make a decision, please ask the agent to send you a complete Summary Plan Description (with schedule of benefits) and a sample of the policy so that you could see what the applicable laws are in your state. I went for a Golden Rule plan for the family with an underlying $2500 individual deductible. The family plan was $530+ per month. Individual plans are definitely much cheaper than that.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance