Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,885 times

Advertisements

Anyone else out there already in Medicare's Part D Donut hole and can't afford to pay for their prescription drugs now? What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 05:06 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Talk to your doctor and see if he can recommend something cheaper or keep you supplied with samples.
See if the manufacturer offers help with the paying for the drug. Some do.
Apply here:
https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php
That's a one stop place to see if you can get help with prescription payments.
See if a medicare supplement would cover the cost. Ask your pharmacist and your doctor if they know of where you can get help.
I've managed to get enough of mine on generics that I'm under the donut hole for the year. The killer for me is prescription strength vitamins which medicare doesn't cover.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
You can get the drugs thru canada or even wirte the drug company many of which actaully often have programs. Also look into medicaid which many elderly are o instead of medicare because they fall into the requirements.There are also part D programs that have no hole for genric drugs.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Canada.
Last year the coverge stopped in June, this year it will be July since one went down in cost.
I did figure out that we can stretch it a month by buying most of the generics at Walgreens/WalMart/etc with their $4 plan and "save" the coverage for the ones that can't be sustituted.
May not work for all but our co-pay is $10 so that's $6 on each.
Since we're going to hit the hole anyway (and won't get out of it) there's no point in worrying about this getting computed in
Nice setup isn't it? Pay a premium for coverage then save money by not using it.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:57 PM

You can come very close to not hitting the hole by getting some from canada while others frommthe program. I know quite a few that do this.The generic can be gooten a quite a few places for $4.00 now too. But that doesn't help when you need the more expensive. Canada is especailly good for thier 3 drugs I am told.Make sure you talk to your doctor about the generic verus many of the new drugs because some are much better than generic and have no generic drug because they are new.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,885 times
Very good suggestions from you all and they should certainly be helpful to many of the readers here. Unfortunately, I'm taking a drug (for rheumatoid arthritis) which has no generic and the annual cost is $14,000 per year. The only comparable drugs are as costly. Checked Canada Drugs but no discount on it. My doctor and pharmacist have no suggestions. I applied for assistance from one foundation this year and was rejected. Will check out that one website pprx.org as the one poster mentioned.. Again, thank you for your posts.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 PM

Iwould be quite surprised that any prescription drug program has that type drug on their approval list so don't see the donut hole applying in that case really.There are alot of speiclioty frugs like that.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM

271 posts, read 809,790 times
I'm eligible for Medicare in 2 months and have no idea what the "donut hole" is so would someone please educate me?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Part D drug coverage is a scam.
It was written to benefit the drug and insurance companies.

Unless you are on some new or exotic drug, there is usually a generic equivalent which can be purchased at many places including K-Mart and Walmart for $10-$15 for a three month supply.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I'm eligible for Medicare in 2 months and have no idea what the "donut hole" is so would someone please educate me?
Part D Medicare provides prescription drug coverege but there are limits.
Medicare and most of the Medicare Advantage plans pay for coverage until $2,500 has been paid -- that's their cost plus yours. Then you pay all costs until your total out-of-pocket cost reaches $4,350 (that includes the $2,500).
When you spend more than $4,350 out-of-pocket, the coverage gap ends and your drug plan pays most of the costs of your covered drugs for the remainder of the year.
The part between the $2,500 and the $4,350 is known as the donut hole.
You need to read the book Medicare sent you and start looking into health plans. You'll need a lot of time to research them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance