U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,592,732 times

Advertisements

Does your retirement system offer any national plans? (I noticed that an Illinois State retiree is eligible to enroll in a non-HMO plan with national coverage, but I don't know if retired teachers have the same options.) If this is an option, you could drop your current plan during open enrollment and sign up for one that offers national coverage. (I did not check to see if moving alone would allow you to switch plans outside of open enrollment.) (Also, perhaps moving out of state is a qualifying event that would allow changes outside of open enrollment?) You may have already checked this out, but I thought I would mention it because some folks think they need to stay in the same plan. Other than this, you may want to conduct an online search to see if Missouri offers its residents something similar to a high risk pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:16 PM

22,710 posts, read 17,638,838 times
I made sure my insurance was transferrable before I retired. BC/BS you can pretty much transfer but it's called something a little bit different in each state and you get a new card. The info on the back of the card is different. For example, it was called Care First BC/BS in Maryland. In Tennessee it's just called BC/BS of Tennessee.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM

19 posts, read 36,000 times
Lenora, thanks for the information. I am beginning to understand what I need to do. I am offered a nationwide PPO with Cigna as the carrier. Moving to another state does qualify me to change to this. I am not clear whether I must wait for the open enrollment period or whether moving is all that is needed to change. My current doctor in Illinois and my hospital are listed as Cigna providers as are several doctors and the hospital in Missouri. We are in no hurry as we still have to sell our Illinois home. I will be comparing the premiums/coverage of Cigna to the Health Alliance policy that I currently have. I have to make some phone calls. Thanks for putting me on the right track this insurance stuff sure is complicated.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,211,285 times
My health insurance not only works in any state, but I can get reimbursed if I am in any country of the world. For retirement, rather than deal with Medicare, we could move to another country and our health insurance will now pick up 80% with us picking up the 20% co-pay.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM

23,807 posts, read 19,640,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It entirely depends on what health insurance you have. You need to read the policy and exclusions, or call them and ask.
And thats it in a nut shell.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 AM

42,325 posts, read 46,124,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post
I recently called our BC/BS to ask the same question. When DH retires, he loses his health insurance, so I was asking if we could go on Cobra and still get coverage if we moved out of state. Our policy permits that; however, as someone else here said, you will be paying more because more than likely your care will be out of network.

And, yes, plans differ from state to state. I found that plans that would cover us in our current state do not even exist in the state we want to move to. And we more than likely will not qualify for that state's govt plans. We're not sure what we're going to do about health insurance yet, so he's not going to retire until we get it figured out. (This country needs a national policy...now!)

BTW, getting sick out of state and moving out of state could mean very different things regarding insurance coverage.

Anyway, bottom line, call your insurance company and ask. Every plan/company is different.
That depends on the type of plan under BC/BS . In most of their PPO plans all it takes is that the provider be BC/BS approved provider. Basically as long as the provider is covered under BC/BS contract as a approved provider ;they are within network on my insurance.If their is no BC/BS then they will pay the same rate as network but of course the provider is not limited to the contract payments limits. Its the same i sate where there is no netwrok provider near when traveling as to what is paid.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,217 times
I just moved to Georgia recently from Florida and still have my Florida Driver's license. I just applied for health insurance here in Georigia and told them I was a Georgia Resident. Do you think they will deny me for coverage if they see that I don't have a Georgia license yet?? I am worried and wondering if I should go get a GA license. I plan on stay here for maybe this next year or two then returning to Fl. I have recently just paid to renew my license in FL (my forever home)......what should I do?? Thanks for any expert advice.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM

18,985 posts, read 16,209,342 times
We moved and the medical coverage from out state was and remains totally portable. In a coupkle of months I'll be on Medicare and my coverage will shift to a supplemental with full prescription benefits.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:42 PM

13,540 posts, read 10,431,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdajewlz View Post
I just moved to Georgia recently from Florida and still have my Florida Driver's license. I just applied for health insurance here in Georigia and told them I was a Georgia Resident. Do you think they will deny me for coverage if they see that I don't have a Georgia license yet?? I am worried and wondering if I should go get a GA license. I plan on stay here for maybe this next year or two then returning to Fl. I have recently just paid to renew my license in FL (my forever home)......what should I do?? Thanks for any expert advice.
What are you applying for? Is it a Medicare Advantage Plan? A private insurance plan? A Medigap Plan? If you are talking about a Medicare Advantage Plan, you would have to be eligible for coverage in the state in which you reside. Each state has its own plans so you would need to check with the Georgia Social Security office or go online.

A Medigap or private plan would work wherever you live.

I never heard of anyone having to have a driver's license to obtain health insurance. I don't drive so I would think it odd if that would prevent me from getting health insurance.

If you are not going to need a Georgia license but want some GA identification, see if you can get a state ID card. I have one from the state of Oregon and that is proof I am a resident. It looks just like a driver's license.

As I stated, I do not drive but aren't people supposed to have driver's license in the state in which they reside? Okay, someone else will have to answer that.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM

239 posts, read 259,065 times
I worked long enough at a tech company to have healthcare in retirement. However, the insurance company and coverage changes depending upon which state we live in and in some states, such as California, where in that state.

For instance, we lived in Hawaii and we had HMSA (which is BC/BS in Hawaii). This insurance was a PPO. Then we moved back to California and the insurance company was Healthnet and an HMO. Unfortunately, the monthly premium was higher...$463 for Heathnet. We had been paying $305 for HMSA. Also, the coverage for meds was a nightmare. It's a generic only plan and my husband can't take the generic version of two of his meds, so our out of pocket is $115/mo. for one and $345/mo for the other. Our doc co-pay was also more, $20 per visit instead of $12. So, in our case the move from Hawaii to California cost us big time...over $500 more per month.

In our case, checking with the insurance company didn't help. They sent us information that said our prescription coverage was much better than it actually was. The reps at Healthnet were so confused by our plan. One called it "abnormal". We went round and round with Healthnet--a very long story--but, in the end we were denied coverage for anything, but generic drugs, which by the way cost HealthNet next to nothing. In one case, zero and another 5 cents per month. It's no wonder they want us to use generic. We would love to and when my husband can, he does, but in some cases it's not possible. It doesn't matter that it's medically necessary. The insurance company could care less about the patient's needs and doctor's orders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance