Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times

Advertisements

Guess I am missing something here. If one lives in the middle of "podunk no place" where there are no doctors (nor little else) then no matter what your health insurance is, you might have some issues. Otherwise, I am not seeing physicians refusing MediCare (I think some might where I live, but I do not know) as an issue.

I think much of this is the old Red Scare Tactic by those opposed to National Health Care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Guess I am missing something here. If one lives in the middle of "podunk no place" where there are no doctors (nor little else) then no matter what your health insurance is, you might have some issues. Otherwise, I am not seeing physicians refusing MediCare (I think some might where I live, but I do not know) as an issue.

I think much of this is the old Red Scare Tactic by those opposed to National Health Care.
It is a regional/local issue and is a problem in the Raleigh area.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC6187 View Post
Today I tried to make an appointment with my ortho doctor, who has been my doctor. he now is seeing no medicare or Tn care or united health care as of Jan. 1, 2012 even if he has been your surgeon, for follow up. it amazes me from this doctor, however when I check with medicare he is on the list, as two others that are not taking any new medicare patients. But my ortho is seeing none new or exsisting. This is one of the reasons we moved to TN.

Yes crossville should lose their status as a place to retire. It is hard enough today without worrying about your health care providers.

My husband must go to Oakridge to see a heart doctor crossville or Cookeville will not take United or TN Care.

Their are a few good family doctors that do not descriminate...Dr Stubbs is one of those. God Bless her.
My ortho said they would continue to take Medicare patients but might schedule them differently( take longer to get in ) so they can maintain the ratio of Medicare to non medicare. Other posters have said it is a problem in areas of Texas. There is some reason to believe there are socio factors involved and it isn't all economic.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is a regional/local issue and is a problem in the Raleigh area.
When we moved to the Raleigh area with my mother, we tried several doctors before we could get an appt. for either her or my DH. Both are on Medicare with supplemental insurance. They didn't say they didn't take Medicare, they just would not schedule an appt. Kept saying that they would pass this information on and get back to us to schedule an appt. Then never did and did not respond to repeated phone calls.

Ended up taking my mother to UNC Family Medicine. My husband ended up with a doctor from India who keeps one hand on the door knob and the other on a prescription pad.

Friend who runs an Ortho office in Anchorage, AK stated that they no longer accept Medicare period, that the reimbursement rates and the trouble getting reimbursed have been ongoing issues. Doctor finally decided it was not worth the hassle.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
When we moved to the Raleigh area with my mother, we tried several doctors before we could get an appt. for either her or my DH. Both are on Medicare with supplemental insurance. They didn't say they didn't take Medicare, they just would not schedule an appt. Kept saying that they would pass this information on and get back to us to schedule an appt. Then never did and did not respond to repeated phone calls.

Ended up taking my mother to UNC Family Medicine. My husband ended up with a doctor from India who keeps one hand on the door knob and the other on a prescription pad.

Friend who runs an Ortho office in Anchorage, AK stated that they no longer accept Medicare period, that the reimbursement rates and the trouble getting reimbursed have been ongoing issues. Doctor finally decided it was not worth the hassle.
My primary care physician is not taking new Medicare patients and my realtor couldn't find one for her dad who she was relocating here. They ended going to a HMO affiliated with one of the University hospitals like you did. How long ago did you move here and was it since health care reform? In some areas part of the angst on the part of doctors is not just financial but possible changes in the nature of their practices clientel. My doctor was a supporter of health care reform and even supported a public option. I am not sure what we ended up with is what he had in mind.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,074 times
Angry knoxville tn

I'm 65 and still working with BCBS medical through work. I will work for at least the next 4 years, if not longer.
I just tried to get an appoint with a group of internist in the Tennova (previously Mercy) hospital system on Parkside Drive in Knoxville TN and was told flat out that because I have medicare they won't take me. And the woman was quite nasty about. People seem to forget that if they're fortunate to get to 65+ that they'll be in the same position. And believe me it gets here fast.
While UT and Parkside hospitals take medicare, I've had bad experiences with Drs at both places and don't particulary was to be forced to use those hospitals. But what choice do I have?
It really sucks that good medical care is being reserved for the young. These internists can take their place in history next to Hitler.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickedinknoxville View Post
I'm 65 and still working with BCBS medical through work. I will work for at least the next 4 years, if not longer.
I just tried to get an appoint with a group of internist in the Tennova (previously Mercy) hospital system on Parkside Drive in Knoxville TN and was told flat out that because I have medicare they won't take me. And the woman was quite nasty about. People seem to forget that if they're fortunate to get to 65+ that they'll be in the same position. And believe me it gets here fast.
While UT and Parkside hospitals take medicare, I've had bad experiences with Drs at both places and don't particulary was to be forced to use those hospitals. But what choice do I have?
It really sucks that good medical care is being reserved for the young. These internists can take their place in history next to Hitler.
The young are no better off in fact many are without health care at all.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
I think it varies with location. Where we live and while by no means the majority, there is a significant elderly population. As a consequence, the physicians, hospitals and medical systems are all open to serving Medicare beneficiaries. I've certainly had no problem accessing care.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM

144 posts, read 318,744 times
I'm not sure if people know that when they sign up for Medicare part C (Medicare advantage) they are actually dealing with private insurance companies. The doctors will deal with private insurance companies and not directly with the Government. Many of these Medicare advantage plans are similar to and in some case are even better than the employer provided insurances.

So I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this? Also, the healthcare reform does not really change medicare and it does not even in effect yet (the real part of the reform) until 2014.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
I'm not sure if people know that when they sign up for Medicare part C (Medicare advantage) they are actually dealing with private insurance companies. The doctors will deal with private insurance companies and not directly with the Government. Many of these Medicare advantage plans are similar to and in some case are even better than the employer provided insurances.

So I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this? Also, the healthcare reform does not really change medicare and it does not even in effect yet (the real part of the reform) until 2014.
People are making a big deal out of because doctors are saying no now. There is more to this than just the cost of reimbursement there is in some cases the nature of the new patients. Truth be told!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance