Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times

Advertisements

My wife had prolapse surgery,overnight turned into 2 days,you do not see bill when discharged.After some time we looked at our Medicare account on line to see what bill was,we both near had a heart attack,$69.000.Over time as Medicare worked on and submitted payment,they peeled it down to $18000.Our out of pocket was around $1800 for everything.Medicare worked similar for me on hernia operation.I have no qualms with Medicare.You never know when needed.
This is my point a friend had to have stents and heart surgery age 58.He had severe chest pain for a long period of time,never went to doctor.He finanally got health insurance and waited for insurance to take affect.He knew about precondition so waited,final bill $385,000,ins paid $68,000 considered it precondition.Hospital said you can pay $100 a month for rest of your life.Pretty tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Thank you for this information but your posting is incorrect. If you would read the link, that you nicely provided, it will show you the correct information. You are not automatically enrolled in Medicare until you sign up for the plan:

"...if you are not receiving Social Security, Railroad or disability benefits, you can enroll in Medicare and a Medicare drug plan up to 3 months before your 65th birthday and no later than 3 months after the month of your birthday. This is called the initial enrollment period. You will need to submit an application to the Social Security Administration. You can also sign up for Part B at your local Social Security office..."

The exemption is if you are already receiving social security benefits or railroad retirement benefits before you have reached 65, then you are automatically enrolled:

"...if you already get benefits from the Social Security Administration or the Railroad Retirement Board, you are automatically entitled to Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance) starting the first day of the month that you turn 65."

Also, the ability to decline Part B is provided with your initial Medicare Card but you still have to sign up, as per what I have quoted, unless you are already receiving benefits before age 65--yes some do receive benefits before age 65:

I am not yet 65 and I am receiving Medicare since I was in my forties because I am disabled. When I turn 65, I will be automatically enrolled again with continuation of coverage. My status will change from Social Security Disability Insurance to Regular Social Security Retirement--so I do not have to enroll.

Livecontent
I don't think you read my first sentence correctly. I stated "new Medicare beneficiaries are automatically enrolled in Part B." That is true. If you have applied for Medicare, Social Security does automatically enroll you in Part B. I never said that everyone is automatically enrolled in Medicare at age 65.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I had health insurance from my employer and I also had to pay for part B of medicare. The premiums then went up to almost $200 a month plus the part B portion of $96 per month. I checked and the only difference was the prescription donut hole did not apply to employer insurance.

You really have to check and re-check and ask lots of questions

Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I don't think you read my first sentence correctly. I stated "new Medicare beneficiaries are automatically enrolled in Part B." That is true. If you have applied for Medicare, Social Security does automatically enroll you in Part B. I never said that everyone is automatically enrolled in Medicare at age 65.
Wrong Again. New Medicare "beneficiaries" are not automatically enrolled in Part B, even if they are eligible before 65 or become eligible at 65. Exceptions to this statement are noted as having receiving social security benefits or railroad retirements before 65 and these people are automatically enrolled at 65. You need to read and understand. I am not confusing social security with medicare. I understand the difference and how they apply. You are wrong.

I was enrolled in Medicare and I was not automatically enrolled in part B; I had to make that election. My father and mother were enrolled in Medicare and they initially refused Part B. So what are you talking about????

Livecontent

Old 12-31-2009, 12:10 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Not for my mom who is 83. She has not met the deductible once during the nearly 20 years that she has had it.

She doesn't go to doctors. So for her it is a complete waste of money.

20yrsinBranson
I hope it continues to be a "waste of money" and that she never "meets the deductible". May she continue with a healthy and event-free life.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Bascially people should be given a choice as to medicare with no exceptions if they already have insurance;especailly as we are going to see sharp rise in medicare premiums coming and no advantage plans unless you live in one state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance