Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times

Advertisements

We actually got an HSA with very high deductible insurance, so it's emergency only coverage. During the application process, the insurance company put a rider on me for "all reproductive organs". I called and said this was too general, so they wrote it more specific to the one small reason they decided to place this rider on me. This was the ONLY rider I was notified about. I called them back, and specifically asked them if this would be the only rider. They said it would be the only rider. I called the insurance broker and asked him to make sure that this is the only rider on the policy before it goes through; he said he would, and I have not heard from him since. We get the cards in the mail with an additional rider listed. I immediately call, but at this point we've already paid for two months of coverage since this has taken so long. They told me that I can request its removal if I want to, but since they didn't disclose it to me, I feel like they should just take it off. I told the rep that certainly it must be illegal to do this. I requested that they review the recording of my phone calls since I'm so certain that they clearly stated there weren't additional riders. This was two and half weeks ago, and I haven't been able to get ahold of the person who's supposed to be reviewing my phone calls.

I feel like both the insurance company AND the insurance broker should be held responsible for this, and yet I can't get ahold of either, but they're still getting paid. Is there any regulatory agency I can contact about this???

By the way, the company is Great Western. I'd like to know if this a common practice of theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:50 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I would try to get in touch with the state board of insurance or whatever it's called in Texas.

Depending on the rules in your state, there may not be a lot of consumer protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance