Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
I will consider living abroad for retirement due to health care insurance costs here. I'd rather use a cheaper pay-as-you-go system.
It's a complicated decision to live abroad. What countries are you thinking of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
One of the first things I did when we made our retirement move was find a primary care provider for both of us and although I was not on Medicare at the time of the move I asked if he took Medicare patients and also if he accepted Medicare assignment. He does both so it was a seamless transition when I became a Medicare recipient last year. Thus far I've not had to pay a penny out of pocket for any of the care I've received or any tests or procedures I've undergone.

Fortunately, there are a large number of retirees and geezers where we live and any local physician would be foolish not to accept Medicare reimbursement. We just hope that willingness continues. With everything federal being in a state of flux, who knows but for now we're covered and covered well. Next year my wife will roll-over to Medicare as well.
That's a good idea, to find a provider before moving. If you are single, it's more difficult, as I have to wait until age 65 to move because I'm stuck in MI with the health insurance that I have here for the next couple years. I would not qualify for private underwritten insurance in any other state at age 63 and 64, so I'll unfortunately have to take my chances on finding a provider at age 65 in my new location. Availability of docs accepting medicare patients is a factor in my decision, but whatever is going on now can change. The safer bet might be a larger population area vs a smaller area, just based on the number of docs available (some will take Medicare, hopefully).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance